Computer Slows with ESS 5

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Bumblegrum, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumblegrum

Bumblegrum Registered Member

I downloaded and installed (clean instal) ESS 5 a couple of months ago and since then my computer is running so slow that I am comparing it to the speeds achieved on the early (1970's) IBM machines.

I am running Win7 x64 with all the latest updates on a computer with an Intel iCore5 processor and 8gb RAM.

Web pages are extremely slow to open, online games such as those on Facebook that use Flash are a very real problem and generally the system has a "sluggish" feel.

My system ran like a dream under ESS 4 so I am assuming that v5 is the culprit and would appreciate advice on what could be causing this.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Perhaps your installation of ESET Smart Security 5 is damaged? Here's how to perform a clean reinstallation:
    1. Download the latest version of ESET Smart Security (32-bit/64-bit) and save it to a location you will remember.
    2. Download the latest version of the ESET Uninstall Tool and save it to a location you will remember.
    3. Uninstall your currently-installed copy of ESET Smart Security 5 via the Uninstall program off the ESET Smart Security entry in the Programs menu (e.g., Start → All Programs → ESET → ESET Smart Security → Uninstall) and all the computer to reboot as normal to finish the operation.
    4. Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key as it boots up to enter Safe Mode.
    5. From Safe Mode, run the ESET Uninstall Tool and restart the computer as normal.
    6. Once the computer reboots, open an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and reset the network stack by using a "%windir%\system32\netsh.exe int ip reset resetlog.txt" command per Microsoft Knowledgebase Article #299357, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)." Although written for a previous version of Windows, the instructions are still valid under Microsoft Windows 7. When finished, restart the computer and allow it to boot as it normally would.
    7. After the computer finishes booting up, reinstall the latest version of ESET Smart Security that you downloaded in the first step. You can perform a Typical or a Custom installation, but do not make any other changes to the configuration.
    At this point, you should now have a working installation of ESET Smart Security. Please verify your network connection works as expected.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.