computer slow and extremely laggy. Virus scanner shows nothing?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mydeadsea, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mydeadsea

mydeadsea Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I know nothing about computers so please bear with me here. Our computer has become increasingly slow, laggy and unresponsive. I downloaded Avg and did a scan (I attempted to download avast but it kept blocking my internet, I didn't know how to get around it so I got rid of it), but it said I didn't have any viruses.

If I have no viruses, what could be causing my computer to be sooooo slow and laggy? It's ridiculous.

Is there a program I can download (preferably for free, I'm on a budget right now) - to scan and fix my computer? If it 's not a virus I'm kind of at a loss as to what to check for. Also, sorry if this is in the wrong category, I wasn't sure where to place it. Thanks in advance!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

check the event viewer logs for errors or warnings

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

uninstall any security programs.........

download Ccleaner and Defraggler from piriform.com ...........download Panda Cloud Antivirus from cloudantivirus.com ..........PrivateFirewall from privacyware.com ........Malwarebytes Antimalware from malwarebytes.org .......HitmanPro from surfright.nl ......

First of all install Malwarebytes Antimalware.......and run a quick scan.......then install Ccleaner and Defraggler.....run Ccleaner (cleaner and registry).......then use the startup option of Ccleaner to disable any unnecessary programs.......run Defraggler to defrag........install Panda Cloud Antivirus.....run optimized scan........install PrivateFirewall and HitmanPro...

don't forget to reboot where and when necessary and required.......

uninstall any unnecessary programs that may have come preinstalled in your pc.....

now download and install Keriver 1-Click Restore free from keriver.com ......create a snapshot.........

and you're all done...:)

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Open task manager and see what process is active more than it should be.

5. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

Before you start installing/uninstalling and scanning/fixing on your own I have suggestion:

There are forums helping people who suspect malware infection on their systems verify/solve those issues for FREE. Often those sites offer general computer aid too. BleepingComputer is one of such sites, GeeksToGo is another (there are more but those two come into my mind right now).

They have forum sections dedicated to fighting malware with guides that can help you and trained members assistance. Try those first to make sure you're malware free. You might find help with your slowed down system there :)

HTH

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

few things

like other said clean your temp by using ccleaner ............etc

second check your partition disk space most of time user parted disk in many c d e ...etc and keep saving stuff in c drive only making it full

forget about your windows, run complete scan form antivirus live cd

HOW see 3rd step

3rd download any rescue disk

kaspersky example here

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Kaspersky-Rescue-Disk-Download-100454.html

try to burn it as iso from other pc and then put in pc it run ..... clean if any virus there it help :))

here video demo of rescue disk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znWAfGevYfk&feature=fvst

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I agree that an Antivirus Rescue CD is highly recommended. I would suggest using at least two different Antivirus Rescue CD's.

1. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
    2. Dr.Web Live CD

8. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

That reminded me of Vipre!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    First thing to see is open task manager & see commit charge. If it is around 350-550 then its normal. Without running anything!!!like firefox or any other program!!
    If higher than that then check which program is sucking it!!!

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

if its happened over a period of time its probably not a virus /malware but just general clutter/lack of basic PC maintenance and possibly too full a hard drive:-needs to clean all temp files old restore points go through start-up programs and disable probably most of them and do a defrag followed by a boot time defrag using something like perfect disk or similar,if its running slow after doing this and prob a bit more then start looking for malware,:-nobody as even asked the spec of his PC yet,may just be short of memory,not every PC problem is down to malware!

10. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Try this.....

01] Power the computer off, wait an moment, and then power it back on to your everyday Administrative Account.
    After Windows stabilizes, reboot the computer into Safe Mode through the ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT not your everyday
    Administrative Account and allow Windows to stabilize. After Windows stabilizes in Safe Mode, reboot the computer
    back on to your everyday Administrative Account. After Windows stabilizes in your everyday Administrative Account,
    reboot once more and log on to your everyday Administrative Account. This process will reset the necessary NTFS
    Permissions for ADMINISTRATOR on the file system.

02] Run the Microsoft Windows built-in Defragmenter (this may take an while because there is an lot of unused files)

03] Delete all of the Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History from all the Internet Browsers being used

04] Reboot the computer into Safe Mode through the ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT not your everyday Administrative Account

05] Delete the contents, NOT THE FOLDER, the contents, from the following Folders if they exist:

C:\Windows\Temp\
    C:\Windows\Prefetch\

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Recent\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\UserData\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\History\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Recent\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\UserData\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Recent\
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\UserData\
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp\
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Cookies\
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Recent\
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\UserData\
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\History\
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temp\
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Recent\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\UserData\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\History\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

Repeat for any other Accounts listed under Documents and Settings

06] Reboot the computer and log on to your everyday Administrative Account

07] Run the Microsoft Windows built-in Defragmenter

08] Run the Microsoft Online Malicious Software Removal Tool and choose: Full System Scan
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

09] You might consider running the following Online Scanners (you must accept the ActiveX Control):

ESET Online Antivirus Scanner:
    http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Panda ActiveScan 2.0:
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/index/?lang=en-US

10] You might consider installing Microsoft Security Essentials, if so,
    Install Microsoft Security Essentials through Microsoft Update (do not download and install, use Microsoft Update)

HKEY1952

11. mack_guy911

1st keep it simple run ccleaner with free disk space :)

2nd never install 2 diffrent security software in your pc same kinda (unless you know what you doing) eg: 2 antivirus, 2 firewall ........etc

try to keep it simple

i told you to try live cd above for 2 reasons 1st if you have hardware problem in live cd also after booting run slow you can check ram by mem test and its simple and your internet problem ...etc

if all work well on live cd mean problem is software related (os/ pc-software....etc)

like steve1955 and other said it could be anything :thumb:

so 1st confirm no hardware problem also run antivirus form live it dont break or create any problem then check software side for mantaince removing crap(junk) files ccleaner do that its free tool

2nd installing bunch of softwares on pc make it nothing but crap running live cd wont harm
    also whatever you have installed in past try to check for compleate remove tool ................of that antivirus before installing any other new one.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Is the OP still interested or reading this? There was no sign of life from the OP since the initial post... :blink:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

yeah I also wonder that.....maybe we are doing all this for nothing :cautious:

14. mack_guy911

let all great ideas keep coming in future it would be helpful for other as well :D

we all become lazy and copy paste that :p

15. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

The Orginal Poster, mydeadsea, states that the computer is extremely slow, and as stated, it could be anything.

We will just have to wait and see. If no response from the Orginal Poster is ever given, again, as stated,

there is an wealth of helpful information avaliable for future reference.

The most likely cause is file system clutter and fragmentation.

Have an nice day.....

HKEY1952

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.