Computer running slow, convinced its Malware but cant find evidence!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by justinab01, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justinab01

justinab01 Registered Member

Hi there

Im convinced I have an issue with Malware or something similar but I cant track it.

To tell the whole story...my I have a Dell Inspiron 1764 laptop and about a week ago the fan packed up meaning that it kept over heating and crashing.

I ordered a new fan and heat sink and in the meantime read on a forum about a program called Speed Fan that would turn the fan on. I downloaded this...big mistake! A lot of other programs downloaded with it that I didnt request, a number of these inserted themselves into my browser. I initially uninstalled what files I could see through Control Panel.

My parts arrived, I installed them and now my fan issue is fixed. However, the laptop is running EXTREMELY slowly. I have spybot installed so run that and it found a number of items which it deleted - one of these was Zone Alarm. After the scan and removal Zone Alarm still showed in my browsers so I removed it.

Since then I have run the following -

* Microsoft Security Essentials Virus Scan.
    * Eset Online Scanner
    * Microsoft Online Malicious Software Removal Tool
    * Checked there is space on the hard drives (11GB on C and 397 GB on D).
    * RUn the defragmenter.

And still the laptop is slow. Im wondering if when replacing the fan I did something to slow the laptop down when replacing parts. Or, the only other thing is I havent been able to remove something nasty that I inadvertently downloaded.

Any advice appreciated :)

2. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Go to Avast forum, they are extremely good in finding and fixing malware, you don't need to be running Avast. You"ll need to post some scans, within a day an expert will help and usually cure your machine very quickly.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I suggest you install and run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

What about a deep anti rootkit as PowerToo lV, GMER, NoVirusThank ART, even by CD ?

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Run a scan with one or more of the following:

1. Hitman Pro
    2. Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    3. Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

You may also run scans with one or more Antivirus Rescue CD's. Some examples are:

1. Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
    2. Dr.Web LiveCD
    3. Avira Rescue CD
    4. Bitdefender Rescue CD

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I agree. :thumb: :thumb:

If you have trouble running the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installer due to Malware blocking it, you may want to download and run Malwarebytes Chameleon.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/chameleon/

7. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

There's some good advice above. But if you want a little extra help, head over to MalwareTips.com and ask for assistance in the malware removal section.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Just a small suggestion.
    Do you have a clean image you can revert back to prior to running speedfan.?
    Maybe a clean re-install of windows may help.:)

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Speedfan is a safe programme are you sure you dowmloaded it from legit sources?

10. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe you didn't install the heatsink and fan correctly and the CPU is downclocking in response to the heat? Download CPU-Z and see what clock speed it is actually running at.

11. markusg

markusg Registered Member

you can try hitmanpro, because it has some engines included, or go to an forum like Bleeping Computerwith many proffessional helpers

12. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

the only way to really check for virus when you think your machine is already infected is to boot it from a rescue CD or USB flash drive (created earlier, or created on a different, clean computer) and scan your windows partition when it's offline.

i use BartPE for XP and Win7PE for Windows Vista/7/8 to create the rescue disk. I use command line scanners for the virus check e.g. Emsisoft Commandline Scanner, which I update before booting to BartPE/Win7PE in case internet connection is an issue in the pre-install environment (PE) and then run to scan all exe and dll files in C:\ or whatever is your system partition when it's offline. And if I only get a few hits, then I double check the results with VirusTotal or similar to make sure they are not false positives.

There's lots of other free offline or portable scanners, maybe you can even install a bootable one with YUMI, but I can only recommend Emsisoft Commandline Scanner since that's what I've used in these situations. Still YUMI is easier, here's a list of bootable Antivirus Tools it has in its menu (it should even be able to download these for you):

However, your computer speed issues may well be caused by driver conflicts or other software conflicts (third party firewalls and realtime antivirus scanners are the usual suspects, but I take from your list that you aren't running any - still if you've had any in the past then check for leftovers; sometimes they don't uninstall properly).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  13. guest

guest Guest

Wouldn't it just be a lot easier just to format the drive and reinstall, this is the reason I always keep a clean image available, if I thought I had been infected I would never trust that setup again, kind of like a bad women, once she had been unfaithful there is no trust anymore and no future, start with a new OS and a clean slate:cautious:

14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

that's only easier if you have a recent clean image available.

15. whoman

whoman Registered Member

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

17. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

The OP is missing !

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha he probably nuked his PC.

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Yeap, lost in action... :D

21. justinab01

justinab01 Registered Member

Hi

Sorry was offline most of the weekend. Thanks for the advice. I ended up downloading Avast and ran a scan using that which found 2 Malware viruses. Avast fixed them and for that session my laptop ran as it used to.

However, the next day I logged back in and again it was running slow. I ran Avast again and it found the same 2 Malware viruses, then removed them. The laptop is set to permanently connect online but I hadnt browsed to any 'dodgy' sites or downloaded anything so Im unsure how the Malware got back on the laptop.

This seems to be the pattern now, works ok, I end the session or hibernate and the next time I login (if I dont shut down mainly) Im plagued by performance issues.

Im not starting to think perhaps the poster who mentioned the fan and heatsink not being connected properly may be onto something (although they appear to be working ok).

22. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

some viruses clone themselves on reboots or if part of them (the files that show up infected) are deleted, check your autoruns to see if there's anything unusual. also, google the virus and infected file names to see if people have any advice on how to deal with them specifically. i still think an offline scan would be a good idea because some viruses you cannot delete (maybe not even detect) when the system is running.

23. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Sounds like you "might" have a Rootkit or MBR infection, due the persistant issues.

As others have mentioned, download & run HitManPro,also Mbam

If they detect anything as above, you should seriously consider changing ALL your Passwords for Everything.

24. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Try this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.