computer replacement

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by emile77, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emile77

emile77 Registered Member

Hi,
    First , happy new year for everybody !!!
    I use 'Acronis True Image 8' to make Back-ups of my hdd to an external dd , and I've read on a french forum that in case of computer replacement , I could'nt make a 'Restore' of my 'Back-up' to the new hdd because of the configuration of the new mother board which should be different from the old one which is recorded in my 'Back-up'.
    First , is it true ? Then what could be done to restore my system to the new hdd ? (where is located the mother board configuration in Windows XP ?).
    I thank everyone who could give me any ideas about this problem.
    emile

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

To restore to a different computer you have to use sysprep. Search this forum for it or the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I've never had to use it so I don't have details.

3. emile77

emile77 Registered Member

Thanks , Chutsman .
    In fact , my question was especially in case of a motherboard change in the same computer (because I've had an intermittent bug which could be caused by a defect motherboard).
    I've downloaded 'Deploy.cab' , unzipped to 'C:\sysprep' ,but I've read a procedure different from the one given in this forum :
    The procedure h've read in this forum is :

[In order to clone your Windows system to different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep).
    Create Acronis True Image 9.0 bootable media with Bootable Rescue Media Builder available in Acronis True Image 9.0 program menu.

Run sysprep.exe on your source computer. Microsoft gives you the option to specify the following keys:

-nosidgen — If you plan to erase all data from the original hard disk drive and/or do not plan to use both original and new hard disk drives in different computers simultaneously, use this option.
    -mini — If you plan to migrate your operating system to a computer with different hardware.

Reboot the source computer and boot it from the created bootable media. Now run the 'Create Image' wizard and create an image of the prepared hard disk drive.
    Boot the target computer from the bootable media and restore the image you just made.
    Reboot the target computer and boot it from the hard disk drive.]

I have read this procedure in another site:

[ -unzip 'Deploy.cab' files to 'C:\sysprep'
    -run 'setupmgr'
    -choose 'sysprep installation' , 'automatic'
    -fill in the different fields
    -save the file obtained in 'C:\sysprep\sysprep.inf
    -edit 'sysprep.inf' with notepad
    -at the end , add : [SysprepMassStorage]
    -inside of 'C:\sysprep' run command: Sysprep -bmsd
    -several minutes later , run: Sysprep -activated -nosidgen ]
    (They say that only 6 hardware changes are allowed and may be it's not enough for a motherboard change).
    I've not understood all of this procedure .
    Could anyone give me more explanation , is the first procedure the good one ?
    Thanks , emile

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I think the "6 hardware changes allowed" refers to the Windows product activation.

For only a motherboard change, what I would do is backup all documents and data, Favorites, and outlook express email and address book - if you use OE, and boot the hard drive after the new motherboard is in place.

It is a good practice to backup your documents anyway.

You will probably find some programs don't work - for these you will have to reinstall them.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello emile77,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please take a look at this FAQ article describing the procedure of transferring the operating system to a computer with the different hardware configuration in detail.

Please be aware that we can not guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the different hardware configuration, even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation Tool.

Please also note that this issue is not related to Acronis software, but to some Windows peculiarities.

If you have any further questions on how to use Microsoft System Preparation Tool then please contact Microsoft Support Team for details.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or report any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.