Computer Newbie Software recommendation...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by User3, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3

User3 Guest

Hi,
    I'am wondering what security software, would you recommend for people who have no computer knowledge, a kid and an old lady, Myself, I've installed PG, KAV, and outpost, and I can tell that this software aren't for newbies, mainly because they do have a learning curve.

Any recommendation? or maybe a security suite....

2. hadi

hadi Guest

here is a good series of 5 part

Part 1 How Good are Free AV Scanners

Part 2 Adding more layers for increased protection.

Part 3 Comparing our multi-layered free solution to commercial solutions

Part 4 Adding a fourth layer; Free Intrusion Detection programs

Part 5 Using Intrusion Detection Software

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I recommend running at least two anti-spyware applications. Install Spybot Search & Destroy with the TeaTimer option. Configure Spybot to monitor all new additions to the system startup, BHOs, and ActiveX controls. Configure it to lock the Host file, IE start page, and IE control panel.

Install Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE as the secondary anti-spyware. Use it to do a full system scan on a weekly basis. Scan all user profiles, not just one. So if you have 4 accounts, do 4 scans.

Use Windows XP Pro, not Home. Create restricted accounts for ALL users, including yourself. Use the admin account for installing software, not for daily use. Configure XP to download, but not install the updates automatically. Install the updates when prompted and you have the time. Don't wait more than a couple of days.

Use Firefox, not IE. Install the Adblock plug-in and create, or download a good filter.

Use a white list approach to your security. Too many people use a black list approach. The black list approach is like using a condom after you have been infected.

4. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

Have a good host file.
    If you must use IE, you can try Avorax Shield.
    Also, use Winpatrol to monitor startup and services.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :D

If the user was an old person or a kid... and he/she is the only one that uses the pc then I think there's no need to make his/her pc to act like a "heavily armored tank" sophisticated enough that even James Bond will perspires a lot just to steal some useless files in it. :p

Actually, most of those layered protections I think are more intended for those who uses their pc to purchase online, have lots of important files in their pc, business persons, and for those who wants to be protected like a "king". But... still it's good for anyone. The good news is there are lots of quality softwares out there and many are free. :D

For beginners and even those who didn't have good know how in pc... I think a good anti-virus, anti-spywares, anti-trojans, firewall and some hardening softwares will suffice.

Maybe... Avast Home Edition Antivirus is very good with its Network Shield and Webshield it acts as an additional barrier to prevent viruses and worms, and its auto-update works fine without interruptions. Ewido Security Suite for Trojans, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, IE-SpyAd, Arovax Shield, Ad Aware SE Personal and MS AntiSpyware Beta for anti-spyware, Kerio or ZoneAlarm Firewall, and Windows Worms Door Cleaners, SafeXP and Harden-IT for hardening the system. ProcessGuard free for process protection, and a Mozilla Firefox Browser w Firetune for safer and faster surfing.

:cool:

Of course... this things should be installed by those who knows, and at least he should teach those who has no know-how what's its purpose why it was there. Coz even my younger brother got mad at me coz he didn't know then why there are many pop-ups that interrupts his surfing.;)
    ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ProcessGuard for a less-knowledgeable user ? At work we wouldn't even dare to install such softwares on user computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.