Computer Maintenance Checklist

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'm trying to make a brief checklist of what I would do when going to someone's house to tune-up their computer. Most computer's I've looked at for friends and family, all they tell me is that it's slow.

Please tell me what, if anything, I should add or change to my list.

1.Backup most important data
    2.Update Windows and programs
    3.Remove junk files with CCleaner or SlimCleaner
    4.Run a scan with Malwarebytes + HitmanPro
    6.Uninstall unused or unwanted programs
    7.Delete unneeded photos and files.
    8.Check for problems in device manager
    9.Update drivers with SlimDrivers
    10.Defrag harddrive
    11.Backup again
    12.Give advice

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

There can be problems in Device Manager itself. That is, it doesn´t work. When this happens, there are corrupted Windows files. AFAIK, the only solution is to restore a backup image of the system partition. I always check that DM is working well before I create a backup image.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Look in msconfig to see what is running at startup. Most people have everything ticked then wonder why startup is slow :)

4. guest

guest Guest

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There is almost always a way to fix windows problems without having to restore an image. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914231

I don't bother with images they take too long to restore in my case - my C drive is 500 gig and nearly full. So if I ever have windows problems I fix them.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Check for toolbars or browser add ons - objects.
    Disk management,Check disk space and free up space with forgotten about or unused programs and a disk defrag.
    recommend to increase ram if applicable.
    A clean install - formatt is a sure way to bring a system back life.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Brandonn2010,

First thing I would do is run a quick memory test, if that fails you should not be booting from that machine, any write operation to the drive no matter how small could cause unrepairable errors to the filesystem.
    Then after a full backup and Check smart status of HDD, run a check disk.
    A backup of the OS/programs is needed as if your steps 2 to 10 fail you could end up leaving things in a worse state and even not working at all.
    If drive or filesystem has errors unrepairable, not even worth doing any of your steps 2 and onwards.

Cheers, Nick

9. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

1.Backup most important data (off line to CD or DVD)

Create an Restore Point (If the client is not using System Restore, enable it)

Boot from an updated Avira Rescue CD and run an scan

Run the Microsoft Online Malicious Software Removal Tool

Only if necessary, download, install, and run, the Microsoft Safety Scanner. The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires
    in ten days leaving no maintenance for the client

Run Check Disk on all Hard Disk Drives

3.Remove junk files with CCleaner or SlimCleaner (Installing third party software on client machine forbidden)
    4.Run a scan with Malwarebytes + HitmanPro (Installing third party software on client machine forbidden)

Manually Delete all files in all TEMP folders from all accounts including the contents of the Windows/TEMP/

Manually Delete all Internet Cache Files through all the Web Browsers in use

Manually Delete the contents from the folders in all accounts for: Cookies, Recent, UserData, History, Temp,
    and Temporary Internet Files, including all index.dat files in respective folders, also delete the contents of
    the Windows Prefetch folder and reboot the computer

6.Uninstall unused or unwanted programs
    7.Delete unneeded photos and files.
    8.Check for problems in device manager
    9.Update drivers with SlimDrivers (Update Drivers from original vender or Microsoft Update)
    10.Defrag harddrive
    11.Backup again (If the computer is clean, the orginal offline backup to CD or DVD is good)

Create another Restore Point (If the client is not using System Restore, disable it)

12.Give advice

EDIT: clarity

HKEY1952

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

1.Backup most important data (off line to CD or DVD)

Create an Restore Point (If the client is not using System Restore, enable it)

follow steps 2 and 3 on this page
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-know-if-your-computer-infected.htm

Run Check Disk on all Hard Disk Drives

3.Remove junk files with CCleaner or SlimCleaner
    4.Run a scan with Malwarebytes + HitmanPro
    5.Uninstall unused or unwanted programs then optimize startup in msconfig/ccleaner and autoruns
    6.Check for problems in device manager
    7.Defrag harddrive
    8.Backup again (If the computer is clean, the orginal offline backup to CD or DVD is good)

Create another Restore Point (If the client is not using System Restore, disable it)

11. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The link doesn´t apply to Windows 7.

In my case, it takes less than 10 minutes to restore an image of the system partition. I keep the data in other partitions.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's a pretty good list, but I would change the order a little. I usually start with Disk Cleanup and Ccleaner. If I suspect that the system is infected I would next use MBAM and HitmanPro - best to deal with that immediately. I Haven't used SlimDrivers, and don't know how reliable it is. Driver updates usually don't make much difference unless there's currently a problem with one. As others have mentioned you can use Ccleaner to view the list of auto-starting items and disable unnecessary apps.

13. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

These are some good suggestions.

I should have mentioned I carry a thumb drive with YUMI, which includes

1. The Bitdefender Rescue Disk, mainly because of its high detection rates, and it's the easiest to configure the network on.

2. UBCD5, so would it be advisable to use the memory tester included in that suite of tools?

3. The Windows Repair All-in-One tool from here.

4. I also keep Combofix, rkill in .com, .exe, and .scr, HitmanPro, TDSSkiller, SystemNinja Portable, System Explorer, and X-Ray (to submit mostly-unknown malware).

The sad thing is how many of my family don't even have a 4GB USB drive to backup files on, only CDs and DVDs o_O

And by Give Advice I meant ask if they have any questions, and if they did something that resulted in their problem, give advise as to how to prevent it, and advise them to backup data often and run an MBAM scan at least once per week.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.