computer infected and case for a sandboxie!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by maaster, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maaster

maaster Registered Member

After i ran the exe file i downloaded from the website given below all my local hard drives had been locked and even when CD drives or any USB is inserted they can't be accessed and there was a message that "the acton can't be processed due to restriction efects on this computer"....Right click was disabled in desktop and all windows explorer but right click was enabled in applications like internet browsers....No icons were seen in desktop....and then control panel,command prompt,registry editor,run command etc all had been disabled ....but I could browse internet!
    I found it very difficult to make my computer to return to its normal state....I searched in internet for 5 hours and atlast found a software named "unhide.exe" and after running that software I had recovered all my desktop icons and registry editor.then I searched through internet and changed the registry values one by one in the registry editor to recover right click,control panel,cmd etc and unlocked all local drives....this was a very cumbersome process..hope this is blocked in future signatures....I lost about 60GB files.
    The file was found in this site "http://inamsoftwares.blogspot.in/2012/05/secure-folder-67-full-version-with.html "
    I consulted virustotal and only 3 AV vendors detected it....
    So in my personal opinion "sandboxie" must be incorporated in future versions to prevent these mistakes to run unknown files....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. Erudit

Erudit Registered Member

Maaster: sorry but you've downloaded a cracked copy of some software and run the installer, and then installed the software that will encrypt files, folders ect... and then blamed eset for not picking it up , im sorry but

1. never download illegal software from an untrusted source,
    2. never trial encryption software on a live system, or a system you need to use. theese are basic practices,

by the sounds of your issues you have been infected by a trojan thats downloaded malware that would have disabled access to task manager ctrl panel and changed all your personal files to hidden , you didnt loose 60GB of files as there isnt a virus out there at the moment with an aim to delete all of your data.

also just a quick one for you , eset offer free support, they would have helped remove the infection , restore your files and then been able to make the virus signature from the file you downloaded.

Regards

Matt

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Some more important things to keep in mind:
    1, always back up important data
    2, keep the OS and software (especially security sw) up to date
    3, do not use an admin account unless necessary
    4, any protection can be circumvented, including sandbox, HIPS, UAC, etc. Also some sandboxes are known to be bypassed by malware easily.

4. maaster

maaster Registered Member

can anyone tell how to use HIPS so that my registry is not affected by malware?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.