Computer in a reboot loop after scanning

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by joemcdoakes, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joemcdoakes

joemcdoakes Registered Member

Hello,

I have searched hundreds of threads here and have not seen this problem mentioned, which I take as a bad sign. A computer running Windows XP had a problem after choosing a user. The mouse pointer left a trail behind it, and the computer was very slow to respond. The mouse pointer looked fine before choosing a user though, for what it's worth. I ran ESET NOD32 EAV. The scan showed 1900 infectious items and counting when I left it for the night. In the morning, I expected to see the total count finished, but instead, the computer kept trying to reboot. It must have been trying all night. I see the manufacturers logo, and the XP logo. It hangs there and starts over again. I tried starting in "safe mode", and tried having it use the "last good configuration" option, but no changes. Any ideas? Any information that I forgot to give? Thanks!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It seems to be a heavily infected system so the behavior is unforseeable. I assume what happens is that ESET removes a threat but the active part detects this and restarts the computer. Hard to say if that's the case but it's one of the possibilities. Probably the best would be to back up crucial files, format the disk and install Windows from scratch.

3. joemcdoakes

Thanks for the quick reply.
    As a novice, I was thinking to do that as a last resort. I first wanted to check with the experts here to see if there is something else I can try first.

4. sbwhiteman

sbwhiteman Registered Member

First, I like your screen name. A reference to the classic shorts starring George O'Hanlon?

I've had similar boot problems after trying to clean an infected system from inside Windows. While formatting and reinstalling Windows is the safest route, if you prefer you might first get to a working machine and download and burn a bootable rescue disc. Don't know if Eset has one. I've had good luck with Avira's; Kaspersky's is also good, but much slower.

Have the rescue disc quarantine or rename whatever it finds and then try to boot into Windows and cross your fingers. If you can't get into Windows, try Safe Mode. If you can get in either way, run Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.

Avira Rescue System: www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

Kaspersky Rescue CD: http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk10/kav_rescue_10.iso

Good luck!

5. joemcdoakes

Thanks for the advice sbwhiteman. I will get back to you when I try it, but it could be a while. At least a week. Also, you're the first one who mentioned my screen name. I have used it in many places for many years. In case you didn't know it, the entire collection of those shorts has been released.

6. joemcdoakes

sbwhiteman,

I said that I would get back to you. I had a hard drive die since your reply, which delayed me. The computer with the problem belongs to some friends. They were only concerned with getting their family photos off of the drive, so it was easier for me to copy them with the drive as a slave on another computer, then do a full re-install of the operating system. Thanks for your support!

joemcdoakes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.