Computer hangs after extended use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by benham, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benham

benham Registered Member

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, Sandboxie 3.55.06, Mamutu, Online Armor Premium, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I had had this setup for a while with absolutely no problems, but I got bored and decided to switch MSE for Avast! free antivirus. Avast! was working great, until I had been on the computer for a few hours.

My PC was still running and all the active programs were fine, but no new programs could be launched. The task manager wouldn't load, and new tabs in Chrome wouldn't respond, though the ones present before the problem started would work. Any program I tried to launch would result in the cursor showing the 'working' symbol, but it would not load. I can still play any games that I have already started before this mysterious thing happens, but afterwards, nothing will start.

I uninstalled Avast! and reinstalled MSE, but the problem persists. My computer runs perfectly fine for a while, and suddenly it happens. Are there any known conflicts between the program I'm choosing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

If you check the Event Viewer, the application and system log, are there any errors or warnings that happen at the time of the hang?

3. benham

benham Registered Member

There are four errors that happened at the time, in order of occurence:

The server {E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout

DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service TrustedInstaller with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Modules Installer service to connect.

The Windows Modules Installer service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Does that mean anything to you?

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    I can't interpret the Event viewer errors, but if I were you I'd start by uninstalling programs that might conflict: Online Armor premium and Mamutu. If the problem stops then reinstall them one by one and see which one might be responsible.

If you are familiar with imaging programs a backup before doing anything would give you some peace of mind during the operations.

Reading your post again, there's another possibility whereby Avast might not have uninstalled properly, you could try Avast Uninstall Utility and see if that clears the problem (often AV registry leftover can conflict with new installations) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Last edited: May 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.