Computer boot problem due to AV?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by electrodon, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electrodon

electrodon Registered Member

I tried to fix a computer...and during the process I installed an antivirus (mcafee trial) over another one. This unfortunetally resulted in an unbootable system. Even in safe mode, all it does is shows all of the drivers/apps it starts, but after its done, instead of going to the "welcome screen" like it is suppost to, it just restarts. I tried to disable the mcafee drivers that start durring boot using the recovery console, but it didn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything more I can do. I have the means to access the harddrive as a slave, and I can try more things through the recovery console, but I am now out of ideas. -Thanks

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I think you're on the right track with Recovery Console. You should be trying to disable the McAfee services using the Disable command. You could also try to disable the service(s) of the other AV as well--as long as the "fighting" between drivers is eliminated, the computer should then start. I'd keep plugging--at least until you're sure you've stopped all the offending services that McAfee starts at boot.

3. electrodon

well...there's a slight problem with doing that. I disabled the 4 mcafee drivers. That didn't work. (also note, i went into the drive as a slave and deleted mcafee out of the harddrive...probably not completely though). I also don't know what the other firewall is, it isn't my harddrive, i'm trying to fix it for someone. I suppose i could look around a bit more and try to find another. Also, while i viewed everything with listsvc, i didn't see anything that resembled another antivirus.

I will also add a few things to the situation that might help any of you to help me. The drive was FULL of viruses, and while i hooked it up as a slave, i deleted them. Knowthing that they might have done something to the actual drive, i repaired the MBR, but that still didn't help.

Also, mcafee actually worked before it became unbootable. After it was installed (i didn't restart) i ran the scan. Most of the viruses couldn't be deleted...because they were "in use". When I restarted after, it made it to the welcome screen. When i logged into someone, it started to load, but immediately logged back off and went back to the welcome screen. It eventually evolved into the current problem. So one of my guesses is a virus is the cause of it getting progressively worse.

By the way, thanks for your suggestion Jimit.

4. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

If its as bad as you say....perhaps it would be best just to re-install the operating system........do you have a restore disk ? after all..would you want to use a crippled computer....nawwwww

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I agree. Sounds like your friend would be better served reinstalling the OS. :p

6. electrodon

Well...that really isn't an option. Fortunetally, when I repaired all of the windows system files, it fixed it. It damaged both antiviruses so i can't use them until i resinstall them, but i'm just glad I got it working again. Thanks for your suggestions.

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Glad you got 'er up and running again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.