Completely simple question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jasmine, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasmine

Jasmine Guest

I am not sure if this is the forum to post this on, but here goes:

I bought my kids an old Aptiva at a garage sale. It's a great little system...plays their games, was very inexpensive, etc. Then I tried to hook it up to my router ( a hard wired D-Link) and I discovered that it only had plug in's for phone lines, not ethernet.

I took a trip to Best Buy and purchased a network card. I was JUST about to install it when I noticed that the package says, "Windows 2000 and XP drivers".

Darn! I have NO idea what windows system it has and I forgot how to check. When I look at the currently installed software, I see some of the Windows applications are 97. It also has something about Windows millenium on there, but I think that's an upgrade.

So my question is, how can I install this darn thing and get it connected to the router? The brand is Dynex. I think I am ok on the physical installation....I am just struggling with which Windows system I have an if/where there is a driver available.

Thanks so much. You guys are great :)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jasmine

If you can identify your model at the link, maybe we can get this figured out.

IBM

3. Jasmine

Jasmine Guest

I don't know if this will help, but I took the info from the computer.
    Machine type-3153
    Model E3N
    Mfg Date AN829
    S/N AF1GN5Z

Thanks again :)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jasmine

Have you tried installing the card yet? As you know how, I would put it in the slot and see how it goes as far as being recognized by the system.

5. jasmine

jasmine Guest

I have not tried it yet because I was afraid I had the wrong one. Do you think I can find a driver online for this card?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jasmine

There should be a driver out there. Windows may be able to use a generic driver of its own.

Windriver forums

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Jasmine

First go to start>control panel>system There you should be able to determine what operating system. There is a wealth of info on Aptiva's. You can just google on aptiva. You might start with this site.

http://members.aol.com/don5408/aptiva.html

Pete

8. jasmine

jasmine Guest

Yes! Success! Thanks guys :)*

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jasmine

Good news! Did you find or did you need another driver?

10. jasmine

jasmine Guest

It was on the disk. I wish I had installed the correct version first. It would have been very smooth that way :)

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

jasmine

Thanks for letting us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.