Completely erase files?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rivalen, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Today I do it via the waistbin/paperbasket and empty that now and then.

But that can be recovered - how do I delete those files permanantly?

Pls suggest software. Are there any freebies that do the job?

Best Regards

2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Eraser is one of the best for secure file deletion. It completely overwrites the files with up to 35 passes.
    http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php
    There have been some issues with version 5.8. I don't know if they've been resolved. Version 5.7 is stable and available at their site.
    It's freeware, Open Source.
    Rick

Be very sure regarding what files you erase. There is no recovering them afterwards, even forensically.

3. Rivalen

Thanks a lot!

5.7 now erasing unused space on C.

Best Regards

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, I got the chance to ask now. I want to ask is there any way to access ur bank account online without leaving any recoverable data on HD?-- may be in a Virtual Environment, a Sandbox or may be using OS from a live linux CD?
    What is ur opinion?
    Thanks!

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Portable firefox, portable k-meleon, or portable opera should do the trick since they store evertying in the RAM, which is erased when it closes, and completely gone forever when the pc shuts down(no power, no storage, no reamins ;) )

The most secure method (ultra ultra paranoid is probably downloading a openbsd live cd which is geared towards anonymous surfing, located Here

Alphalutra1

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am using Eraser 5.8 beta, Eraser 5.8 beta features doesn't act consistent in its range of operation yet, and can act differently for each individual.They have a support forum http://www.snugserver.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=cb8e60dda3dfa8e4c5585947f928e8fe, I am a member there. I do not know what part of eraser is being worked on or even if it is being worked on, there is no mods; one Admin, and he is rarely there, and it is very slow. But I am there. Having said that I still think Eraser is a great piece of software and Eraser 5.8 needs work, I just wish they would speed it up. :cautious:

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So I think this way u will not leave anything on HD. Am I right?
    BTW, I wonder how many people practically do it for online banking.
    Also for this u need U-3 flash drive, pls correct me if I am wrong.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

No, you can carry this on any media (USB flash drive as just been added)...If you just want to run this on your PC, then just extract to a directory,...and run it. To make portable, just extract to removable media.

9. Rivalen

aigle, I saw NoTrax-browser for USD 25 at http://www.heidi.ie/notrax/
    but I dont know if it works whith the Banks website?

With Defensewall I hit BIG RED to make sure there are no malware in the sandbox/untrusted zone, then I start my browser (untrusted) and go directly to the bank - afterwards I can rollback all these untrusted entries.
    If that means all traces are gone - I am not sure - but I believe its safe banking. I you want to know - put the Q at DW forum.
    My bank has double identfication (unique every time) - at entry into the accounts - and also when ordering transactions out from my accounts - that adds a lot to safety I have been told.

Dont you run Rollback cr something - go back to a clean image - go banking - thats it - or? Then go back to your ordinary image without saving any inbetween - must mean no traces? Not trying to tell you how your Rollback works :) - just wondering if that would not be safe and traceless enough.

Best Regards

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What,s special in it?

No, I think in either way the information is written to HD, so it still can be retrieved. But I will wait for the response of other members.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.
    BTW, from where I can get portable opera.

12. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Here ;)

Alphalutra1

13. tristantzara

tristantzara Registered Member

Hi,

I'm using secure delete.
    It appears in the context menu and when you rightclick the basket you can choose secure delete instead of the usual delete function.
    It's from Phant0m. http://www.mntolympus.org/

And every now and then I'm running clean disk security.
    http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Clean-Disk-Security/3000-2092_2-10255341.html

best regards,
    tt

Attached Files:

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks I am downloading it and also portable firefox. So it soes not leave any data on HD to be retrieved even by special means?

Ok, now few more question. What if u loose ur flash drive? There is good chance that anybody can retrieve ur bank account details, passwords etc?
    Can this USB drive be encrypted by TrueCrypt etc?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.