Compatible with Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Janus, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey

I use Paragon Backup and recovery 12 (v10.1.19.16240) on my machines. Does anyone know if it is, or will be, compatible with Windows 8.1 when it is officially released.

Regards, Janus

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

As far as I know, 8.1 doesn't contain any principal differences or changes.
    Most likely B&R will stay compatible w/o any issues.

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Thanks Mech_An, it is really nice to hear. I see my backup software as the most essential piece of software for my machine, and I would be really frustrated, if update 8.1 somehow obstructed my Paragon image backup, in doing its job. Thank you for taking your time to answer my post, it is much appreciated.

Regards, Janus

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree with Mech_An but he did say "most likely". There are only 2 ways of knowing and that is to test it and the other is to await Paragon's official announcement that it does work.

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Thanks seekforever for pointing that out, just in case that I didn't noticed it :thumb: . Just to be sure, then I have created another/new image backup on an external drive, so if there should be any problems/incompatibilities, then I will be able to recreate my system. It would, (as you also mentioned) be really nice with an official announcement from Paragon, regarding this.

6. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Just a feedback from me asking if Paragon Backup and recovery 12 (v10.1.19.16240) were compatible with Windows 8.1, who were released today. Yes Paragon Backup and recovery 12 is compatible with Windows update 8.1. Were able to restore to a earlier driveimage without flaws.

Regards Janus

7. nrms

nrms Registered Member

Re: **NOT** Compatible with Windows 8.1

I can't use HDM Pro v12 on Windows 8.1 to backup my machine because it gives an error.

I always disable the Hot Processing option so it is forced to restart the computer and backup from safe mode. Under Win 8.1 I get an error about not being able to find the "Engine Stub" whatever that is.

Clearly then the Windows Program is not totally compatible with Windows 8.1.

Booting HDM12 Pro from a recovery USB drive and backing up that way works fine though.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Re: **NOT** Compatible with Windows 8.1

Yes. Using a boot USB with HDM 16240, I created and verified an image of the Windows 8.1 partition on an UEFI computer and everything worked well.

Working from Windows, you could try a hot image (using VSS). I have never trusted the reboot method, I think it isn´t reliable.

9. WickedGirl

WickedGirl Registered Member

Hi Folks. I am new to the forum, but I wanted to add what little I currently know to this topic. Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are different in ways that may cause some software to not work properly. I have already experienced this on several small programs after upgrading to 8.1 this past week. Specifically for me, Start8, Revo Uninstaller Pro, and Firefox 24 are all experiencing issues on Windows 8.1. Why am I mentioning these programs in this forum? Well, because upon researching these issues, I have come across information indicating that the new Windows 8.1 has changed at least how files are managed (libraries), how the computer shuts down (it does not do a real cold reboot unless you use the command line to shut it down), and also possibly something is different with how things are displayed on the screen. Since I am researching three major issues (as far as they impact my PC), I only have tiny amounts of info for each right now. I simply wanted to say that yes, there are differences in the Windows 8 versions, and that surprisingly, many software vendors are blissfully unaware of this. Because of this, I would strongly caution you in using Paragon software on Windows 8.1 for now, until they can definitely answer that they have performed extensive testing on this version of Windows....both on clean install versions and most especially on a version upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, I will probably need to revert back to Windows 8 for now, so it won't matter to me if I experience a catastrophic loss while experimenting with Paragon, but I know for others, a nasty surprise is not something they want to experience. Good luck!

10. Paragon_Chris

Paragon_Chris Paragon Moderator

We will be releasing Hard Disk Manager 14 any day now, and it will be fully compatible with 8.1

W have had some success and some failure both in our testing and in customers testing our products with 8.1. At this point in time we officially do not support 8.1 and do not recommend customers use our products on 8.1 as we do not want anyone to lose data or have any problems, but our new version which will be released in the next few days will have complete 8.1 and UEFI support, along with support for bitlocker and some other goodies!

11. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Thanks, looking forward to the new release. (It would have been really nice if Paragon on is main website had notified that users have to be aware that windows 8.1 was not supported.)

Regards, Janus

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

That would be something new. Encryption is becoming more common, imaging programs should begin to support it.

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know, Chris. :)

Look forward to it. 8.1 users will be especially pleased.

14. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I am looking forward to the new version 14 also.
    I notice that Paragon are superstitious about the number 13. :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.