Compatibility of TI8 with Sil 3112A ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Yemble, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yemble

Yemble Registered Member

The Recovery CD built with TI 8.0 (build 764) will not boot on my EPOX 8K9A2 based system. Using the F11 key and by playing around in the BIOS I have discovered that it locks up immediately after executing the "$ /bin/insmod sata_sil" command.

If I disable the Sil 3122A controller in the BIOS, the CD boots up OK. But this is of little use to me as my system partition is on a SATA disk!

Is there a workaround for this issue, or has the problem been fixed in a later build (eg. 771) ?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi

Are you running the SiI3112 in RAID mode or SATALink (non RAID) mode? A single hard drive will work in either mode under Windows when the mobo BIOS is set accordingly and the necessary SiI drivers are installed. SATALink works fine for me but according to this Forum, TI 8.0 (including latest build 771) boot rescue disk (Linux derived O/S) still has problems with the SiI3112 in RAID.

Perhaps you have a USB memory card reader/writer fitted? If so, try disconnecting it as my external Conceptronic 6-in-1 reader/writer causes problems (I now leave it disconnected until it's needed).

Regards

3. Yemble

Yemble Registered Member

I have three hard drives, the primary is a SATA on the Sil controller, then other two are PATA on the HighPoint controller. Neither controller is configured for RAID. The Sil controller is set to boot first in the BIOS.

I have a USB hub, but my only USB connected device is an Epson scanner. What bearing does USB have on this issue?

TI8 works perfectly within the Windows XP-SP2 environment, but the recovery CD locks when Linux attempts to load the Sil drivers. It looks like a Linux driver problem to me, but there seems to be no obvious way to patch in an alternative driver as the CD only seems to contain packed files.

It seems to be a bit of a flaw that you cannot include additional / replacement drivers into the recovery CD build process. :doubt:

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi,
    O.K.

I'm not familiar with the internal workings of the Linux based Boot Rescue Disk. However, with my USB 6-in-1 reader/writer connected (even with a couple of cards inserted) I always get an error message immediately after "Acronis is loading". If I leave it long enough (about a minute) it may continue to the recovery screen or it remains hung. Hence reason I leave the reader/writer disconnected until required.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.