Compatibility issue

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Guys, do I remember reading somewhere that FirstDefense if not compatible with the more recent versions of PowerShadow, or was that another software that I'm thinking of?

Thanks,
    Acadia

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I stopped with combining FDISR and any other ISR-software. They are not fully compatible with FDISR. It's nothing serious, but it's inconvenient compared with a frozen snapshot. If you don't mind that kind of inconvenience, than you can combine FDISR with any other ISR-software, like Returnil, PowerShadow, ShadowDefender, DeepFreeze, etc. ... :)

Booting from one snapshot to another isn't the same anymore when you combine FDISR with another ISR-software and that is a problem for me. All the rest is working properly.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

I have had no problems with FDISR and either Returnil or Shadowdefender. Never tried Powershadow. Note though I never do anything with FDISR, without first leaving the shadow modes of either software. Then no problems.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

That is exactly the problem, you have to turn off the protection.
    I don't have to unfreeze to boot to another snapshot.

5. Peter2150

Yep, I just use stuff differently so it works for me. Honestly I think you are in pretty good shape.

6. ErikAlbert

I understand, if you turn OFF the frozen mode, the function "Boot To Snapshot" will function normally. I tested this myself with Returnil.
    If you don't turn it OFF, you have to wait for the F1-key to boot in another snapshot and that is really inconvenient.
    I guess you use Returnil only, when you need it, while my frozen mode is always ON.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The latest version of powershadow workstation is not compatible with fd-isr or rollback rx. I found this out from personal testing, there is a conflict with the boot menu's even if you disable the powershadow one.

8. ErikAlbert

When two softwares do a similar job, I'm not surprised by possible conflicts sooner or later. HDS also adviced not to use FDISR and RBRx together.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

thanks, farmerlee, I'm now leaning toward SandboxIE anyway, but your warning helps to seal it. :cool:

Acadia

10. Peter2150

Sandboxie is an excellent choice, but I 've never had any issues with either Returnil or Shadowdefender. I've never tried Power Shadhow.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, I am looking for something that I can "turn on and off" without rebooting. I know that Sandboxie can do that, but I believe that Returnil needs to reboot, correct? I know nothing about Shadowdefender. Thanks.

Acadia

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Have a look at altiris software virtualization solution. It allows you to revert changes without needing to reboot. Its free for personal use too.

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Altiris is a great choice. I use Kmeleon for my browser and run it in Altiris, along with a large number of other programs of different types. Altiris will NOT protect against viruses, etc and it isn't designed to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.