Compatability with Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by zoril, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:) I have used an early version of Acronis True Image for some time (version eight)...I was wondering would there be problems installing Paragon Pro Drive backup also, or would I need to uninstall the Acronis product first?

If they both can be installed would there be compatability issues? I currently run Windows XP sp3. I will in time upgrade to Windows 7...Any replies are appreciated.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Zoril,

You may experience some problems with Acronis installed as both softwares uses Microsoft Hot Processing (VSS) service. This is true between any similar backup utilities.

If you can install both on the same machine, only one can use Microsoft hot processing at a time. In addition, Drive Backup 9 SP3 now supports Windows 7 as well.

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

When I upgrade to Windows 7 I think I will definitely go for Paragon as the version I have of Acronis may not be suitable for Vista even...Thanks very much for the reply...Howard:)

4. Kron

Kron Registered Member

I too still have been using True Image 8.0 since 2005 on Windows XP SP2 system. Have also installed on same PC Paragon's DB 9 Pro w/o any issue. I don't believe Acronis uses VSS, but it is a proprietary VSS, not Microsoft's. In any event, no issues whatever with conflict with both products installed and used.

DB 9 Pro seems very solid, only thing is, it seems to be about 1/2 the speed of Acronis's product at backing up to USB drives. I'm using paragon's 'hot processing'. However, with all the issues of later releases of True Image, stability seems more important to me.

Paragon's product is my secondary backup for me at this time and I like it a lot. Have used True Image to restore C drive several times through the years w/o a hitch.:)

However, when I finally move to a later OS (Vista or Windows 7) I think Paragon will have my trust.

Ron

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Ah, brings back painful memories!
    It is not a good idea to install two image backups.

Last time I did this, it was with TI 9 and Ghost 10.
    They really did not get along.
    One problem was keeping tracfk of moounted volumes.
    Too painful to speak about!

6. Kron

Kron Registered Member

While I agree with the principle, I honestly don't think any conflict with these two. I think TI 9 started doing some things which I wanted to avoid, so did not upgrade. I'm getting the same 12mb/s speed (about 700mb/min) results on a PC which only has Paragon installed, so no conflict is apparent. I did have one clarification to my post;..I'm using Microsoft's VSS, not Paragon's hot processing :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Witj TI 9 and Ghost 10, there was a serious conflict with mounting/unmounting volumes. Too painful to discuss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.