Comparison of Download Managers and Security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sunrise, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

Hi,

There are a few posts regarding download managers, ordbit downloader, flashget etc. Some mention about program attempted connections, some question whether there is spyware etc. But most stop at answering after all the postings and may be outdated right now.. Can all those users of download managers post what they are using, version, how they configure the firewall and whether it is free/paid, with or without adware/spyware, average download speed for XXX MB on LAN (54mbps or 100 etc) etc for sharing with everyone?

List of download managers currently most used (from what i searched)
    1. Flashget - Latest version claims to be free of any XXXware.
    However, there are reports of dll injection warnings from Kaspersky program, or attemped connections when startup even when not downloading e.g. Cant find a posting from security vendors whether this is truly free of XXXware..or if you know, please post here.

2. Orbit Downloader

3. LeechGet

4. IDM / IDA

I am currently using Xunlei (thunder v5), a chinese software very popular in china. Using P2sP technology, (bit like Orbit), fast download, BUT, numerous advert pop up, and requires permission for inbound and outbound access even when not downloading anything...strange and dangerous. So looking for alternatives now that is safe.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Im using Orbit Downloader 1.5.2 (its free and no adware/spyware).

Im only using a packet filter, theres no configuring needed. When I used Comodo though, I just allowed the application.

I have a 1.5Mbps dsl connection and my highest download speed was around 160KB/s.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i used to use leech get it adware/spyware free.
    or you could download an alternate internet browser such as opera since it has a decent download manager bulti in
    lodore

4. sunrise

During the weekends, i tried the following download managers. I only test on the basis of speed of downloading for the same file.

1. Orbit Downloader
    2. Flashget
    3. Gigaget
    4. LeechGet (i chose not to test this as the free version allows only 1 download concurrently, so i decide not to use this)

I chose to download the trial version of Nero 7 (125mb) from nero website.

I was using wireless lan, around 54mpbs network.
    For orbit downloader, I disable p2p, as i do not want to use p2p, though it might speed up the download. The speed is around 100KB/s.

For Flashget, after install, the right side of the program has this search tool, where there are ads (maybe not adverts), though i can disable it using the options, but dont like that when first saw it. speed is around 150KB/s

For gigaget, though claim to be free of adware etc, there is a banner, where makers say due to freeprogram, need banner to survive. ok. only one banner. Gigaget is the english version of Xunlei which is the popular d/l mgr in china, using p2sp. I have used xunlei before and it is indeed very fast, but xunlei is too heavy, many adverts.

Gigaget is much more clean, speed around 170-200 KB/s. Best still, i found out there are many versions of gigaget where people has took out the banner and negate the need for installation. Good. but upon starting, they listen at port 3077. if block, cant work. will connect to a china network service as well, need to allow for it to work...

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, it,s an OT. I noticed that u have a behavioral blocker infact. It,s part of KAV PDMs and is very nice and effective.

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

You should try Free Download Mananger.

7. sunrise

update:

Me scouring chinese sites for reviews of download managers. Seems IMHO, guys in china are very particular about download managers, whereas its hard to find a good comparison review of download managers. Over there, the number one (or used to) is Xunlei, aka Gigaget. But recently, with the new updated flashget, there are so many topics comparing Gigaget/Xunlei with Flashget and Orbit Downloader and Leechget.

Two programs come up tops, Gigaget and Flashget. The new version of Xunlei supports BT now as well. However, numerous articles have appear about the cons of using Gigaget/Xunlei (bought over by google recently). Reason being this little program listens on port 3077, silently. Though it claims it is not a p2p (only p2sp), if you download files and do not rename them or change destination, if another user wants that file and u r online, it silently uploads. yes, silently. guys over there done tests on that program and even if block 3077, the program auto switch to other ports

Another claim was that it degrades your HDD performance (not really sure how still after reading that article in chinese..complex words :p ).

their final recommendation on many blogs was flashget where the speed is comparable, see my tests earlier. though slower , but still good and i guess its safe.

Wonder what google gona do with the xunlei/gigaget thing after buying over.

8. sunrise

During the flashget 1.82 installation, theres this option 'modify tcp/ip connections' something like that (along with option for shortcuts icon etc), what is that? anyone knows if checked or unchecked?

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I use Star Downloader, free version 1.44. No adware/spyware. On the faster sites, I get a bit better than 90KB/s, using 864 DSL service.

Regarding firewall settings, allowing outbound TCP is sufficient. Don't try to limit the rule to just the standard http or ftp ports. Download managers that establish multiple connections use a separate port for each one.
    Rick

10. kneighbour

kneighbour Registered Member

Flashget is my pgm of choice. It has a couple of serious bugs, but as long as you know what they are, there are no problems.

1. You may have trouble stopping and starting a download. I think it depends on how it is stopped. There are two problems here - the download seems to work, but the RAR is corrupted. Very common problem.

The other problem is that you can get a size mismatch error - and the download will not continue. You have to delete it and start again. This is ok - at least you know there is a problem. The corrupted download problem is real annoying as you cannot see it.

2. I use Firefox and Flashgot. If you mark more than about 4 files to download at once, Flashget comes up with an AV and crashes. Every time.

You also often get a 'file already in download' - when it is not. So you have to mark and download it again.

The thing is - the support forum is in Chinese, so I cannot report these bugs,. I see another user has reported #1, though.

But apart from that, it is one of the best download managers out there (and I think I have tried them all).

You should also try Flashcheck - which lets you start downloads with an email to your work computer!

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I used to use Flashget, but I encountered a problem (do not recall details) and switched to Free Download Manager. No problems, yet, with FDM.

I also use FlashGot, instead of FDM's built-in Firefox interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.