Compare FDISR with MS shared computer toolkit for xp

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Yo Horus, Pete has never claimed to have tried every product out there.

You keep saying, "I can't believe none of you have heard/or tried MS Shared Computer Toolkit," Pete never said he didn't hear of it, he has no interest in trying it.

Pete was only trying to give you sound advice to avoid the castastrophies you will eventually run into. FD-ISR has a whole lot to offer, you need to spend the time to understand it first.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Horus37 :
    As this is the only way I can ask you, why?

3. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Hijacking a discussion without reading all the relavant discussions tends to make people look a bit foolish. Case and point the above remark.

Where this discussion SHOULD be going is a discussion about those that might have tried this software and can offer up some sort of educated opinion. I don't direct all my questions to pete nor albert. What you are missing is pete and albert are concerned that because I've elected to turn off certain services they can't help trouble shoot problems. Fine. Never asked them directly for help. I find it funny that after I find an error in my MBR after uninstalling FDISR this must erk pete more than he lets on as I now am the subject of repeated attacks for no other reason than trying to streamline and secure my system and making fdisr somehow look bad? I don't know if he sells this product or what but if I could use a term I've heard on here before -fanboy- I think I understand what that term now means. I like FDISR as much as anyone however reading the tiny incomplete manual that comes with the program is just barely adequate to understand the basics. Constantly harping to read this thing over and over again does no good as my questions go above and beyond the basics hence my questions to the board since it's not covered in the manual. Not to keep dredging up old posts so I won't go there but I feel the way this thread should be going is those OTHER than pete and albert that have experience with ms shared computer toolkit, could they offer up an opinion on it compared to fdisr? I suppose I could start another new thread about "services" and put that in my signature line as a "warning" that I've done so to my computer. Perhaps I'll run my own class on what services are appropriate to run and not run since I seem now to be the board guru of turning off services and flying by the seat of my pants.:rolleyes: I take most forms of advice but frown on those that come across as patronizing.

Most of you responding have obviously been here a long time .. As you can see by the number of posts I have I'm new to this board but not new to computers by any means. You've motivated me all to really hammer now on this "services" thing so I'll make that my topic of choice for the next few weeks since it seems so many here freak out at the idea of turning off services and it's unknown affects on FDISR software. How about we all learn something instead of sticking our heads in the sand and warning people not to do such crazy behavior. Turning of services can actualy make your system more secure period. If you'd just participate in learning more about this area and less about brow beating people for wanting to know more about this area we'd get somewhere

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Holy Wow.

Hey Horus, it doesn't erk me a bit that you had an mbr error after uninstalling FDISR. Maybe it was FDISR, maybe not. I found a major bug, so who is to say there might not be more.

Frankly what you are doing with services is somewhat interesting, just it carries certain risks. While back I tested a new registry cleaner and I did the backup thing, and let it have it. Machine really seemed faster, and I was impressed. No apparent ill effects, so I thought. About 2.5 months later I did another office update, and it wouldn't work. I suspected maybe the registry cleanup might be an issue, but it was way to long to restore it. It proved to really be a mess. That is the risk we were trying to convey. You might not see the effects for now.

You are right some of these services do put the computer at risk. But MRK, made a good point a while back with how many times has your computer security actually stopped something. In most cases the answer is never. My choice is to let the computer run, and use FDISR help neurtralize the risk.

But to continue to test, and do continue to post the results, they can be interesting, and useful to others.

Cheers,

Pete

Oh one other note. No I don't sell FDISR, although I'd be proud to do so. My enthusiasm, like many others here stems from the number of times FDISR has bailed me out of messes, I've made.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! :cool:

Acadia

6. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I have read all the relavant disscussions "How could we miss them".

When you made the statement "self professes" you were saying Peter had tried all software and all software means the Shared Toolkit included. I disagreed like Dallen and some others.

Horus, I think your missing the picture here. There is nothing wrong with learning but since you don't understand FD-ISR yet and your throwing all this other stuff into the mix at the same time you will end up with problems. You may not discover the problem right away and then it will make it all the more difficult to track down what you did. If you don't want to take heed to it that is your right. Just don't blame FD-ISR for the problem.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think its more like some members were trying to save you some grief by being honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.