Compaq Computer: Vista To XP. A Problem?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Genady Prishnikov, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

I am needing a very basic computer for my daughter. I have been looking at this Compaq from Staples:
    http://staples.shoplocal.com/staple...279008&rapid=0&listingid=-2093580399&offerid=

My problem: This is loaded with Vista Basic. No thank you. She has some things that I am sure won't run and I have no interest in Vista anyway. So, I have an uninstalled XP Home Disc that I have not used. What would the likely result be if I just did a clean install with XP Home? Would I likely have driver problems? Would it be a hassle to rectify even if it did?

You can't build a box with these specs for less. It's not the most powerful thing, but with a RAM upgrade, I think it would be fine - without Vista. Notice it comes with a monitor.

What do my Wilders friends think?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont think there will be any issues with that.
    make sure the windows xp cd has service on IT.
    if it doesnt have SP2 use nlite to create a windows cd with Sp2 intograted
    if it has a sata harddrive make sure you have a sata driver on a cd or floopy disc just incase windows xp Sp2 doesnt have the drivers.
    if you have a floopy drive in another pc you can always stick it in the compag just incase you need to get a driver off a floopy disc.
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Did exactly what you are speaking of about two weeks ago for my Mother-in-Law. She could not stand Vista Home Basic on a new Compaq she bought. Also had conflicts with previously uesd\needed programs. The PC is noticeably snappier with XP. A suggestion, make a list of the drivers, video, audio and perhaps ethernet adapter and modem if PC is so equipped. Have them handy on a CD or even thumb drive for post XP install in case they are not supported natively. The Mother-in-Law even went one step further. She called Compaq to make sure it would not void her warranty. She was told "it should not". So be aware.....just in case.

4. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Thanks to you both.

ThunderZ, That's interesting that you did the exact same thing. Good suggestions about the drivers. In fact, isn't there some piece of freeware I've read about (here maybe) that gathers and zips all the drivers for easy backup or whatever? That would be perfect for this, just in case.

Again, thanks a lot.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the best thing to do would be to get the drivers for all the stuff e.g. soundcard,graphics card,network card,sata driver etc.
    then put in your windows xp cd in one of your pc's then copy all the files to a new directory on your desktop.
    once done download and install nlite.
    point to the directory with the extracted files from windows xp cd.
    it will then tell you what service pack the windows cd has.
    select all the options on the main menu.
    if at the start it told you its windows xp SP2 skip the service pack introgration step. if not download windows xp sp2 and tell it to intograte it.
    at the next point you can intograte all the windows patches after SP2
    first off you would have to get all the kb numbers from a pc with all the windows Xp. you could skip this step and go to windows update once its installed. but the step with intograting drivers if the main useful part.
    put all the drivers you downloaded for the compag pc in to one folder and tell nlite its a folder with multiple drivers.
    now point to the folder with drivers in it.
    now highlight all drivers in the folder and click ok
    now check the list to make sure all drivers are listed.
    that means it with have all the lastest drivers on it.
    in the next step you can put in the license code, regional settings,users,keyboard settings etc.
    once done the rest off the steps click next and tell it to make the ISO.
    put the ISO somewhere useful e.g. desktop or my documents.
    then stick in a blank cd and use the burn ISO image feature in your favourite CD burning program and browse to the image and then click burn.
    now you should have a unatended windows Sp2 cd with all the lastest drivers for the compag pc.
    lodore

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Not familiar with any free ware that does that, would be interested myself. I currently use Driver Magician. How ever I do not see anywhere on their site if is Vista compatible. o_O Perhaps someone with knowledge of the free ware program you mentioned will jump in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.