Comp Freezes while updating Eset Nod32 Antivirus 5.0.95.0

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ExperiencedNoob, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExperiencedNoob

ExperiencedNoob Registered Member

Hi,

I am a vendor of Eset products and my customer's computer freezes when the automatic updates of his Nod32 Antivirus 5.0.95.0 starts. Whatever work he is doing is all paused and froze until the update is finished. This problem never occurred below the current version when I initially installed the eset nod32 antivirus 4 on his system. Nor it was when updated to 5.0. When it got updated to 5.0.95.0, the problem started.

The comp is an old one and the specs are:

Pentium III 850Mhz
    256 MB RAM
    40GB HDD

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Nod64

Nod64 Registered Member

There are a couple of places in the settings that tell the program to scan after an update. A few that come to mind are email, quarantine, and I think start-up scan. One or all of these may be the issue. Possibly it updates and then is scanning and since the pc is old and slower, it takes awhile. Try disabling those and see if it helps.

3. NerdWeasel

NerdWeasel Registered Member

I've noticed the same thing on my PC and it's a quad-core with 8GB RAM so not likely an issue with the machine specs. Never had a issue w/version 4 either. Today one of my clients told me they are having the same problem on a dual-core laptop running XP 32-bit and the last release of v4 - major delays during updating. I'm going to check and see if there are post-update scans I can disable as suggested. Hopefully a patch is coming soon.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. v35_pilot

v35_pilot Registered Member

I also have been experiencing this lock-up problem on a Win7 x64 8GB RAM Intel i7 computer.

A few months ago I requested official support on this issue and was told, "your download must have been corrupt, please redownload, uninstall the previous install completely, and reinstall." Corrupt download? You've got to be kidding me.

The lock-ups got so bad that I have uninstalled NOD32 and am deciding whether to fall back to v4.x or go with another vendor. I have been running NOD32 since 2007 or thereabouts, so this would be a big change, but that is how frustrating it has become.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If the options in ESET NOD32 Antivirus were markedly changed from their default modes of operation than it is certainly possible the program would not perform as well as it would when using the default configuration, even on a fairly high end system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. ExperiencedNoob

As I said the problem started since I updated to the latest version 5.0.95.0. In earlier version the system was running without any problems. And the pc now m having problem with is a Dual Core 3.0 Ghz PC with 2GB RAM and a newly built one. The settings have not been changed and are the default ones when the eset software was installed.

8. agoretsky

Hello,

What version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus was the computer initially running? Was it upgraded from v3 or v4 to the current version (v5)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I wonder whether work is completely paused or just _very_ slow. I have noticed that everything slows way down when NOD32 v. 5.0.95.0 is updating, but I have a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz with 2GB of RAM running XP SP3 and I just figured slowness goes with the territory. I have default settings on my NOD32 except for enabling pre-release updates. That's why I noticed the updates slowing operations since updates tend to occur more often with pre-release. Maybe there is something about updates generally slowing operations and it isn't confined to old computers like mine.

10. ExperiencedNoob

The computer was installed using v5 (latest) downloaded from eset website. Today also, another clients complaint that he also having the same problem. No matter how effective and better eset antivirus products are, but the client gets irritated when his important work is disturbed because of eset updating itself over the internet.

Yeah, actually I observed this lately that the internet for other applications slows down when Eset is updating. And thats irritating. Its not only with old computers but also clients who bought core i3 second generation from me, also are having the same problem. And now that many people are complaining the same issue here, it means its not only me.
    only 3 clients of mine run Nod32 antivirus v5. Rest all run Smart Security v5. And all of them are complaining me of the same issue.

11. ExperiencedNoob

This is an important problem and I think it should not be taken lightly as many of my clients are experiencing this issue. This needs to be fixed or I am afraid that I'll loose my clients.

12. agoretsky

Hello,

The fact that you are having it occur at multiple client sites with multiple hardware configurations makes me think it is either a configuration issue or a conflict with some other software installed on the PCs.

I would suggest contacting ESET's technical support directly via phone and opening a ticket with them to begin troubleshooting the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It will be necessary to generate a complete memory dump manually when the system locks up and supply it to Customer care for perusal then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.