Comodo's Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Antimalware18, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I'm wondering why some people say its lacking? I switched to CIS and uninstalled BDFAV because of the lack of options and through my testing I did on a virtual machine Comodo's antivirus is acctualy quite strong. Sure its not as strong as say Avast!, Avira the top names but its not as old as those Av's are. And sure I know that testing with Malc0de and MDL represents a really small percentage of the Viruses out there, and the ones being released every minute, But following a pattern here its detection rate is far above those that say its lacking.

sorry for my punctuation. :D

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

It is actually great with sig detection now. Those who said it was bad was when it newly came out. But they underestimated the growth potential of the AV!

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

False positives that never get solved unless you scream about them on their forums. I've reported few of them through the program itself when it detected them and they haven't got fixed after several months. Pathetic.

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

It was weak in detection years ago. Now it's good at detection and IMHO the best in protection. Though its weak point is false positives but I see this only in tests, never met with FP on my comps.

5. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Yes the built in submission of FPs is really bad but all undetected samples I send on forum or FPs get detected/fixed quite fast.

6. spywar

spywar Registered Member

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

On 2 PureFaction files and on 2 Carmageddon 2 files. And few other misc files... if the can't fix that through the integrated FP reporting system in several months time, then why they even bother having one?

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

You know that you can also submit FPs through web page and forum.
    ;)

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

10. MADx

MADx Registered Member

I was using Comodo CIS v6, but had trouble with the Comodo Cache Builder running for hours, and using all my processing power, the only way to fix the problem was to reboot my system. I'm waiting for this to be fix; I also understand that the Cache Builder can be turned off, but don't know if its wise to do so. Until then I'm using Comcast Norton 360, and yes I follow all recommendation to fix this problem that was posted on the forums, and none helped.

11. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I run Comodo FW 5.10 in Windows 7 x64 (MSE as AV) and last night decided to try Comodo's AV to see what, if any memory improvements might result. The last time I tried Comodo AV was some time ago, and that was as part of CIS 5.12 (in Windows 8 Pro)

I downloaded what I thought was Comodo's AV from Major Geeks - no version specified – (a bad mistake on my part in not researching further!) - what I got was not what I had expected – got the AV OK, I also got the Firewall, Dragon browser and Geek buddy nonsense - and at Version 6 no less! So I was not impressed! While I use Comodo FW V6 in Windows 8 Pro, I still much prefer V5.10.

So I decided to search for another copy of Comodo FW 5.10 to reverse this installation. This proved very difficult, however, I eventually found a copy on Brothersoft web site – yep, CFW V5.10 it said - but the size was not right! (127MBs) when I checked further, I discovered that this was in fact, the complete CIS V6!
    IMO my little episode reflects poorly on the packaging\marketing on Comodo's part – if a product is offered as an AV – that is what one should get. Not a Firewall plus browser, etc. And not impressed with sites that can't be bothered correctly identifying a product.
    The end result was that Comodo's AV was on my system for about 20 minutes, and then consigned to oblivion.

Edit
    My mistake! It was Filecluster - not Brothersoft that I found the misnamed Comodo FW 5.10.

(Oh well, it's back to MSE again) :isay:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

you didnt need to dowmload anything as the av is already downloaded with 5.10.
    You just change comodo to include the anti virus.

13. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

That's news to me! - I think you're referring to CIS not CFW – CIS includes the lot - there is no option to install the AV from the CFW installer (unless I'm blind!) - only Dragon and geekbuddy. :blink:

14. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Been using CIS 6 for a while without issues except...
    If I set it to proactive security mode, I can no longer log in to my bank site in virtual kiosk. Set it back to internet security mode and it works ok. o_O

15. The Red Moon

When ive used comodo over the years ive always downloaded the full suite and customize the installer to either use the av or not.
    Ive always used the av as its just as good as any others out there.
    A form of web shield would be a nice addition to the program though.

16. MADx

MADx Registered Member

Here is a link to older versions of Comodo.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/11856/

17. The Red Moon

18. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Try Filehorse...

19. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Yes - only Version 6 available at Filehippo and Filehorse.

20. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Again, Why even bother sending files internally if they don't listen months later?
    If they have the feature, you should be expected to be able to use it.

Using the webpage and forum is a major inconvenience to someone who doesn't have the time to do so.

21. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I agree.
    Just wanted to point out that there are alternative ways to submit sample.
    ;)

22. spywar

spywar Registered Member

You submit undetected samples from CIS, it submits all of them to CIMA.
    So for example :
    1. I have 100 samples
    2. CIS detects 50 samples (local + cloud DB).
    3. You uplaud all the files
    4. 10 more files are detected by CIMA
    5. You submit the 40 undetected files on forums
    6. They can grabb them with MD5 value.
    So submit function is mostly used for them to have the files in their DB.
    Try to analyse 100K files everydays ...

23. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

24. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

You're dead right! - I only did a cursory check - missed the 'old versions' completely!

I can't say I've seen such an option in other download sites I've visited. Very interesting. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.