COMODO WANTS 'OK' TO CHANGE boot.ini FILE!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cortez, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

WOW. Why would the newer (3.0.14.27_XP_VISTA.exe) COMODO want an OK to edit the boot.ini file?

Does Microsoft have the boot.ini file call home as it does when one uses Windows Explorer? If it does, I can not think of any reason to do so.

EDIT: Now that I think of it perhaps this is how Microsoft keeps tab on how many "ME", "NT" and other older Microsoft OS's are still being used (?).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Missed your medication, didn't you?

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Window explorer to call home? Probably yes:

Each time when I do a search, firewall with network control feature will alert me of such a request from window explorer.

What hack does search have anything to do with window explorer's calling home? I just deny it and ask firewall to remember it. Nothing has crippled. All is well.

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Perhaps I should get me some!!

Since yesterday Comodo does not boot up at all.

Must be a bad install (I installed it last night).

EDIT #2 I had Symantec firewall installed with it's anti virus which I had to manually remove due to uninstall problems ( going thru the registry is murder---trying to figure out what is tied into what ect. before deleting something). I think I must have make a mistake which kept Comodo from installing correctly.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I thought that its because windows explorer can be used as a browser.You can just type an address in address bar and it will show like a browser.I guess to do that it need browser activity too?
    ellison

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I did not know that-- might come in handy at times.

Thanks for the info.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i actually saw something from microsoft i have no idea what it is but it kept asking for a outbound connection through kis.. ive since banned it and have not seen it ask again wish i knew exactly what it was

8. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I know what you mean. I also have reflexively 'banned' outgoing connections with out writing them down so that I could at least find out if it was a "friendly".

So many applications want to touch base with their servers for marketing purposes it seems. I do not consider this an outgoing 'friendly'.

I have noticed ( or imagined) that many software products need to make a connection to uninstall correctly ( which is a real pain when you are off line and end up manually uninstalling their application ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.