Comodo vs Outpost Pro...HELP!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by disinter1, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Ok in a few min I am going to recover my computer because I tried out many software products and know I feel like I need a clean slate. Anyways what firewall should I permantely put on my computer? I need to know quick, because I am tired of switching. First of all let me say I don't know not one thing about firewall rules, customizing, etc in firewalls. So the easier the better, and I like to have ad/pop up blocker in my firewall options, that's why outpost looks better to me. I used them both, and want to know can I say which websites to block pop-ups with outpost? And the thing with comodo is that it is good, but I hate all the pop ups it gives me to allow or not, I know that's a firewalls job, but I think this is overkill. So please help

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You want quick and easy and don't want to learn firewall rules?
    Stick with Windows XP built in firewall (Assuming you use XP, you didn't say.)
    Personally I have no problem with Comodo,once it's learned your applications it doesn't pop up much. Bear in mind if you are installing a lot of new software on the computer, stuff that uses an internet connection, the firewall really should give popups, if it's doing its job properly.
    Anyway, that's just my 2 ringit's worth. Stick with XP, you won't get the alerts. And if you're a safe surfer, we won't see you on a hijackthis forum soon.:cautious:

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I tried a few, I keep switching from zone alarm pro to Outpost 4.0 pro, only because I like MSN Messenger to auto sign in on windows start or after a reboot. ZoneAlarm will Allow it Outpost 4.0 wont! both are equaly good firewalls with the exception that Outpost Blocks ALL leaktests to date. One plus side on my behalf for Outpost is I have a Lifetime Licence Upgrade for it, whereas ZoneAlarm I dont, so why waste money on other firewalls when I can run outpost forever without renewing. As for Comodo, in my opinion, Dont bother with it, it might be free, but I dont like the way it popsup like you say, and I tried a leaktest, and asked Comodo to block it, which it did, but it also blocked ALL sites I visited afterwards untill I removed the iexplorer.exe rule from programs *puppy*

4. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Yes it's XP pro sp2, and I don't wanna stear near the windows firewall. I am not the safest surfer...:cool: :ninja:

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Comodo.
    It's easy to use and does what it's supposed to.

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I had the happen to me a couple of times with comodo, I'll block something and IE doesn't connect anymore, so that is one of many reasons that I am asking to use outpost or comodo. I won't ever use zonealarm, I just don't like it, and one company I really hate has one of the best firewalls I've used...Norton. I think just because the pop-up blocker worked real good with it.

7. the Tester

I almost never use IE,so I can't say anything there.
    When a program changes after an update I will get a popup.But that's expected IMO.That's the only effect I have experienced regarding a connection.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Well, if you like the way the Norton firewall works, perhaps you should use it, regardless of your feelings about the company.
    When I had a Norton 2000(?) firewall, I was real happy with it.
    I've had that happen, IE won't open a new page after a certain blocked alert. That's my fault, not the firewall's, and all part of the learning curve.

9. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Okay, since I didn't get much of what I was looking for, which is easier to maintain, lighter, and whatnot? I guess if I use comodo, I'll just use superadblocker or whatever it's called. Thanks to all.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Do you get lots of ads/popups?
    Some might be related to sites visited, or maybe due to adware on the pc. If you're doing a full reinstall, and there is a decrease in the number of ads afterwards, that was probably the case, and it's worth looking at a realtime antispy program.
    There might be f/w ideas to still come, yet. Half the world is asleep right now.

11. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

No for security I have it all. I am using Trend Micro Anti-spyware, Dr web antivirus and I do scans and I am clean. It's just I hate the pop-ups that IE can't block, they might be a few but I hate em. Plus I want to be able to customize which sites I want blocked or not. Right now before I recover my computer I am trying out outpost again, and it has what I need. Is it worth buying outposto_O?

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK look disinter1 If you really want a tight security on your computer, then theres no other answer to these programs: Period:

NOD32 AntiVirus
    Webroot Spysweeper
    Outpost Pro 4.0 Firewall
    Super AdBlocker
    First Defence-ISR

Thats the real deal, and nothing but nothing is going to infiltrate this system: This Baby is Like Fort Knox, try and get in without permission,and you get your ass kicked into CyberSpace pretty damn quick :D

13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

If that were the case then everyone who's anyone in the industry would be using this set up.

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If you look at most of the posters here you'll see the majority are :cautious:

15. the Tester

That's debatable.:ninja:

16. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Do you have a link where I can take a look at the First Defence-ISR ?

17. the Tester

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Hmm...Outpost can be used in a "dumbed down" mode (where you either trust or block applications with Component Control and Anti-Leak disabled) but it isn't going to provide the best security in this setup (mind you, not many other firewalls would either). If you want to have the option of more detailed rules at a later date then Outpost could fit your requirements but otherwise something simpler would probably be better (and ZoneAlarm is as simple as they get, though it has its issues).
    Yes, you can create an exclusion entry in the Active Content plugin to specify a different policy for specific sites. The popup filter is a little basic though so sites can work around it - blocking Javascript completely would work (and this is definitely a good idea security-wise since it is otherwise impossible to restrict what a website can do with Javascript code) but you will then encounter problems with a greater number of "legitimate" sites, requiring you to create an exclusion entry allowing Javascript for them.

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I like COMODO. I don't think you can find a simpler fw except ZA with the bugs. Set it and forget it. Just let it learn your system and you won't get pop ups unless something changes. :cool:

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

in my opinion, i wouldnt use comodo over outpost or zonealarm but then again, im behind a nat router so dont really need a firewall anyway, only if i want application control or whatever. :cautious:

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

If you want to spend some money on a good firewall then go with OutPost...:thumb:

If you want a good free firewall that is only a firewall then go for Comodo...:thumb:

Both work just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.