Comodo vs AVC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_S

Peter_S Registered Member

Posted at Comodo Forum:

2. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

OOps I thought this chapter was closed, but it seems that still things are going on. :doubt:

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Weird :blink: ..Melih accuses AVC of blackmail ,bullying ,and censorship and then offers them money for accreditation (as if he,s doing them and the world a favour) ...oohh and he informs the world first? :ouch:

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

50k to try & regain some credibility :p

Or maybe he's genuinly sorry, but his ego is too big to say so, & this is his way of doing it ? After all, he does work in mysterious ways :D

5. markusg

markusg Registered Member

this is paranoid, at first they say av-comp is not Independent and now they want to pay for zertification??

6. ellison64

You are probably right.I wonder if he,s ever read Matthew 6:1?...probably not :doubt:

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It's just another PR move by him. "Let's appear honest and helpful and indirectly say that AV-C has something shady going on, I'll offer money to have a third party validate and audit the test!!!!"

Yes, he's launched yet another sneak attack. This is not funny, Comodo - cut the crap!

Here's a little quote:

Note the words carefully - the money is for COMODO to get an auditor at its behest to "audit" AV-comparatives' tests. Three guesses where that's going!

8. ellison64

I read that thread and the replies too.....couldn't stick it for long though...the hero worship made me nauseous :gack:

9. progress

progress Guest

Yes :D Comodo is a very strange company, I can't trust them any more ... :(

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When last seen Melih was strolling down Lover's Lane, holding hands with himself.

11. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

COMODO Internet Security is a fantastic, effective, and very professional product in my opinion. It's a shame that the company cannot follow suit. Sure, I will certainly continue to use COMODO products... but this is getting old.

12. ellison64

Were they arguing? :isay:

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not cooperating with mainstream testing organizations isn't going to help Comodo.

14. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

You may think so (and I tend to agree with you) but conventional wisdom has never been the MO of the man in question.
    "Creating Trust Online" may first require the stirring up of a whole lot of mistrust!

"Exhibit A". Some of the other headings on "Melih's Corner"

"Running Antivirus thinking you will be safe......Madness!!!"

"Anti Virus companies are protecting Criminals - not anymore thanks to DACS! "

"Legacy Antivirus products allow unknown applications to execute on your computer"

"Symantec says you should pay for your security! and I say.... "

"Symantec Acquired Verisign and this is what I think about it :)"

I'm not concerned at this point about the effectiveness of CIS or whether he's right or wrong on any of these subjects. I'm just pointing out that I think there's a pattern here.
    CIS is a product that many people use and like but it will never be mainstream because most people aren't prepared to give it the undivided attention, understanding and patience required to make it work for them.

So back to Mr A. In order to be a hero, there has to be a villain. Conventional thinking is that this villain is the malware creators and distributors. But it seems Melih is telling us that we're surrounded by villains. We can't trust Symantec, Verisign, "legacy" antivirus, AVC, anyone who accepts a fee for their product or services is immediately suspect.

Thank goodness for Melih!

15. Firecat

Melih: World class entertainer and the biggest vendor of snake oil on the planet :D

I don't understand him at all. The 101 of being an efficient CEO is to be professional and keep a level head when considering such matters. Disrupting NDAs, launching sneak attacks on other vendors, openly sparking debates to the public when there are recognized forums (e.g. AMTSO) to bring your issues to, it's a huge mistake. His behaviour is very reminescent of a teenage kid, and this is coming from a 19-year old.

He's simply not going to gain much credibility using such tactics, though it is probably a very good way to raise awareness of Comodo's products (hey, let's create some controversy, then everyone will know who I am!).

16. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Out of curiosity, what leads you to believe that his products are snake oil?

17. DIgiDis

DIgiDis Registered Member

OK, we all know the Comodo CEO is not a good example of what a CEO should be. But then, especially today, what CEO is? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bad CEO anymore. If we stopped using the products of every company with a bad CEO the global economy would crash and cease to exist within a week.

Irrespective of the CEO, Comodo Internet Security just works great and it is free. With a few tweaks it becomes very hard to get a malware through.

18. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Thank you my friend for the most outrageously mixed metaphor of 2011. However, I cannot agree with your general assertions, and in regard to your particular assertion about the Comodo CEO - on the basis of his own statements I have questioned his viewpoint, tactics & effectiveness as a spokesman for the product. However, I have no evidence by which to judge whether or not he is a "bad CEO".

19. Firecat

His products are not, they're actually quite decent - I was saying "snake oil" in the sense that many of the things he says and the stuff Comodo "markets" are designed around paranoid assumptions (that statement was meant as a joke anyway so don't take it seriously :))

Whether he's a "bad CEO" - time will tell, all I'm saying is that he's no normal CEO :D

20. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Oh, I understand what you mean now.

I have to agree with you that he is no normal CEO. There has been so much drama, and too many accusations over the past couple of years for me to look at him as a professional CEO. For that reason or another, COMODO just doesn't belong in the same class as Avast!, Norton, Kaspersky...etc.

21. DIgiDis

DIgiDis Registered Member

My overall point is, it's difficult to judge a product by the conduct of the CEO. The CEO generally isn't that interested in the stakeholder's well being with the products, he is charged with managing the company and increasing its value. The product development division is more in charge of managing stakeholder well being. As an example, product development would be concerned with creating the best running shoes for the end user, and the CEO decides whether they should be manufactured at home or in some southeast Asian sweatshop.

In effect, the Comodo CEO has stepped outside of the usual sphere of CEO to be more "fervent" about his free software than most other AV CEO's are about their paid products. It may be a little off balance, but maybe Melih believes in his product more strongly than other CEOs do and just hasn't found the right "approach" to effectively communicate this.

I repeat: even if the CEO is a little outspoken, it is not a good reason to judge the product. From what I've seen, CIS is a great protection suite and is no more difficult to use than Avast IS or any other suite. In many cases, it is better and easier to use. For me, Melih can dance around all day long in a bunny suit for all I care, I just want a great security suite that doesn't bog down my computer and easily let in malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.