comodo time machine.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by The Red Moon, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

If you use "All sector" rather than "Used sector" imaging, then you can take an image of a CTM protected disk. The trick is to copy every sector, thereby including the raw data written to the "unused" sectors.

My preferred environment is a two HDD setup, with the OS and apps installed on the first disk and all user generated data on the second disk. CTM protects only the first disk and a regular backup app archives user data from the second disk. At regular (but not frequent) intervals, the first disk is imaged using the whole disk method.

CT :)

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

CT,

I believe you need to make that All-Sectors image from outside of Windows (i.e., after booting into another OS) in order to also capture the CTM-modified MBR.

Scott

3. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

Someone said it doesn't like Acronis or Ghost.. you may be able to do the above with Macrium Reflect.

Be warned though.. an all sector backup will use very many disks - Very Many, as many as needed for the size of your actual hard drive or at least the same as the amount of space you used from that drive. Unless you have a 100 stack of DVD's (that's 470 gigabytes at 4.7 gigs per dvd) and 3 days to do the backup, I wouldn't recommend this for drives larger than 100 gigabytes. a small 2.35 gig drive will take 50 dvd's!

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I see that some say that Comodo is waiting to see what windows 8 does with their "filehistory" I wonder why? I can see no resemblance between Comodo Time Machine and Windows Filehistory. Windows file history is as it says: a "file" history, not a snapshot type like software as CTM/Rollback. So I dont understand where such idea comes from...

As I understand CTM is based on Rollback RX. Personally I hope the comodo team does a better job :p If it is possible? I have had a bad experience with Rollback.
    I bought a copy of Rollback RX (a couple of years ago tbh) and it worked flawlessly for, I think it was three months, when suddenly all the snapshots disappeared into cyber space and I only had the baseline left. There were no indication of why it would erase all the snapshots, just gone like that after a reboot. So I could not trust Rollback.

Anyways, anyone have any info why Comodo - really - "put a lid" on the development? There is a 2.9beta version that seems to be working fine for many of the users, but it seems hard to get hold of. They dont announce or provide a link for it in their forums (only the 2.8 version)

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Merged in from: Puran Utilities thread

comodo time machine is not a program i will use again.it corrupts your hard drive upon removal.o_O :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  6. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Re: Puran Utilities

The new CTM 3.0 beta is only around the corner. Of course it will still be free like the older versions, and it will also fully support SSDs and TRIM, plus program updates without losing the snapshots. For up to date news on the beta look here:

http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...ime-machine-t71072.0.html;msg619913#msg619913

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  7. CyberMan969

I'm sorry that it failed on you Beethoven. I have installed CTM v2.8 on dozens of PCs and laptops and it only screwed up on me once. No software is ever 100% compatible with all the huge variety of hardware/software configs out there. In any case, CTM 3.0 has been rewritten from scratch. No old CTM 2.8 code there, it's all new.

The reason I abandoned CTM 2.8 and moved on to Rollback RX, is because I'm now using SSDs. CTM saved my bacon on many occasions in the past.

At the end of the day we should have the common sense to backup first.... Then we can try anything without any worries! I don't feel sorry for people who have screwed up their systems by trying software without backing up beforehand, and then they blame the software and cry for help. A simple restore of a backup would only take a few minutes, and it would bring their system back from the dead.

Ignorance is no excuse. The problem is that a lot of people are just too lazy or bored to read and learn. Such people are the usual forum hit 'n runners who register with a forum looking for 'quick fixes', then vanish without a trace. Usually such users are too lazy to read long technical articles or long posts with decent advice which has been offered for free by others who want to help. No sympathy there from me. People who are to lazy or bored to read the so-called TLDNRs, will never gain anything but superficial knowledge on any given subject.

I'm not saying you're like this of course; I enjoy your posts Beethoven, and I'm sure you have encountered yourself the kind of people that I'm talking about.

Jesus saves. God backs up.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

hi.
    thanks for the heads up on CTM.i may try it again.
    I regularly back up my system.Im a relatively new windows user only been using for about 3-4 years.
    Glad you enjoy some of my posts...some are good and some cause outrage but its merely an opinion on my half.
    hope jesus does indeed save.
    Regards my friend.
    Darren.:thumb: :ninja:

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Thanks cyberman! I was waiting for CTM to be updated and rebuilt. I was so concerned with CIS 6.0 that I forgot about CTM. Almost makes me think that they'll add components of CTM roll back to CIS 6. Hmmmm.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Comodo Time Machine

I hope CTM 3.0 is going to be more stable than the previous version...
    The last time I used CTM 2.8, I had to Format my PC.

11. Sevens

Sevens Guest

I use CTM 2.8 without problems. I have uninstalled it a number of times without ever a problem. I use it 3 or 4 times a day behind the kids and it has been solid. I'm glad I've been lucky enough for it to work because it is probably one of the programs I use the most from one day to the next.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Re: Comodo Time Machine

It's been a while, but I seem to remember the problem had to do with the boot sector not being restored properly when CTM was uninstalled - is that what happened? I eventually stopped using CTM because the stories of uninstall failures made me nervous. Fortunately it uninstalled clean for me.

13. CyberMan969

Guys, if you have already taken a good backup of your Windows disk/partition and you have a boot disc/usb stick that contains a bootable version of your backup app (so you can easily restore outside of windows if it all goes tits-up), then you won't have to worry about trying anything really.

Every software error will be fixed with a full restore, including boot sector errors. Hell, your disk may die on you and all you have to do is just restore your backup on a new disk and your system will be back from the dead in 10 minutes. The stories of horror you hear is from all those stupid n00bs who try different software on a prayer, without having a backup, and when it goes tits-up they run into the forums bitchin' and moanin' and slating the software. What they really should do is find the nearest wall and hit their stupid heads on it repeatedly, for the supreme idiocy of not having a backup in the first place.

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Comodo Time Machine

No, CTM couldn't even properly installed on my PC.
    Then, everything was screwed...:mad:

15. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

:thumb: Nice. Also very true. LOL.

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

CTM

This does Not change that CTM has been problematic.
    No worries, if one is testing/trying software on a 'Dummy' PC.:cool: :cool: :cool:

17. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

CTM made my system unbootable. Im not touching it until it fully matures. At this point this software is alpha 0.1 stage. They shouldn't be releasing it as a complete and finalized version. This was irresponsible on their part.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

comodo time machine

Couldn't agree more with you on that! :thumb:

19. CyberMan969

The new upcoming v3.0 has been re-written from scratch, nothing to do with the old code anymore. I plan to test the new beta as soon as it becomes available and I'll share any findings, good or bad.

I hope this new version works well with a wider variety of software/hardware configurations this time around. The old CTM caused BSODs to many; I was one of the lucky ones and it was OK on all my systems. Had to swap it for RX though, when I upgraded to SSDs.

20. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

Is the new code native 64 bit?

21. CyberMan969

I don't know, I assume so. Not much info has been given on it yet, all we know is that the new beta is now just around the corner and it will fully support SSDs and TRIM. Plus we will be able to update CTM to future versions without losing our snapshots.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

We'll see how successful v3.0 will be...:doubt:

23. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I use CTM 2.8 and 2.9 without any major problems but with a bunch of minor problems. CTM helps me much to test progs and have been really saving me from Win reinstalls for 2-3 years.

But with due respect to the CTM I say if you try any paidee like Rollback RX or Eaz fix you find them much smarter than CTM. Eaz fix for instance, can make images :thumb: .

24. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

What are the bunch of minor problems that you experienced while using CTM 2.8 and 2.9 versions?

25. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Really there is one major problem: it's my thread at Comodo forum, especially post#11 but I'm not sure that it was because of CTM as I heavily used there Windows imaging and Clonezilla.

As for minor problems:

- on my comp-1 with CTM 2.8, 1 of 4 starts of the comp got freezed in silence or with constant beeping

- on my comp-2 with CTM 2.8 about 1 of 5 starts (sometimes 3 in a row!) of the comp got freezed but no beeping.

- sometimes CTM does not revert to the due snapshot, just stays in the current state - I always have to check if transition was successful

- sometimes CTM does not revert to the due snapshot, but to some other snapshot - I always have to check if transition was into the snapshot I choosed

I must say that CTM at my 2 other comps (CTM 2.8 and 2.9) works almost impeccably - only 2 last bugs in the list happens but very very rarely.

In general I'm satisfied with CTM 2.8 and CTM 2.9 and waiting for CTM 3.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.