COMODO Time Machine 2.4.125818.154 FINAL Released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Dragons Forever, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Is CTM heavy on RAM and resources? Slow down the laptop at all?

2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Capture.JPG
    Sorry, I can't draw a straight line,lol.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The nice thing about CTM is it makes snapshots on demand - it's not constantly watching the system and using CPU. Ram usage is pretty low as well (as noted in the screenshots from Greg S). If you decide to install it make sure your system is in good shape. The first snapshot that CTM makes is the "baseline" that subsequent snapshots build on, so you want the system to be clean and stable.

4. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Does CTM also require that you have LESS than 128 GB of space used on your HD ?

I have learned that RollBack Rx will not install if you have more than 128GB of space used on your HD regardless of how large it may be or hoe much free space remains.

You will get an error message "Error Code 8801: Insufficiant disk space to install subsystem."

I wonder if CTM is the same since it is essentially the same program ?

Hopefully, COMODO has made a tweak to this problem.

Thanks.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thats not true, ive had rollback rx on my hardrive that has about 400gb of used space and less than 100gb free...

6. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Originally Posted by pratzert
    Does CTM also require that you have LESS than 128 GB of space used on your HD ?

I have learned that RollBack Rx will not install if you have more than 128GB of space used on your HD regardless of how large it may be or hoe much free space remains.

You will get an error message "Error Code 8801: Insufficiant disk space to install subsystem."

I wonder if CTM is the same since it is essentially the same program ?

Hopefully, COMODO has made a tweak to this problem.

Thanks.

firzen771 said:
    QUOTE:"thats not true, ive had rollback rx on my hardrive that has about 400gb of used space and less than 100gb free....":UNQUOTE

Here is the exact quote of the message I got from Horizon Datasys Support team:

QUOTE:"So the size of used space of your system partition is 236 GB, right? If so, That is the problem. Rollback could only be installed when the size of used space of your C partition is below 128 GB. In your case, you need to remove some of the programs from your PC to release some disk space and then reinstall Rollback onto your PC.": UNQUOTE

I really do question their statement because I was able to load it on another one of my computers which had 347GB of "USED" space. So something does not make sense for sure.

So, if what they claim is not true ( And it isn't ) what do you think is the problem with the installation on my other PC ? Why does it give me that error code saying there i snot enough room to install the subsystem when it did on my other PC which actually had MORE used space ?

I did have problems doind the uninstall on the first PC and had to make several attempts. So maybe there is something left that is interfering with the new install.

The second PC where I was able to successfulyl install Rollback, I had no problems doing the uninstall.

Thanks !

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Perhaps it's a problem with contiguous free space. You could try disk cleanup and defrag.

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Just a comment regarding rolling back and losing files created since the last snap. Sorry to be so late in the thread but I have RollBack RX and so was not following this discussion.

In RollBack RX there is an option to automatically take a snap of the system as it exists at the time of the roll back operation. This means you can roll back and then mount the latest state snap as a virtual drive so you can get to your files. I have no idea if you can do this with CTM but since it appears the programs are similar it probably is possible. Even if its not possible to do it automatically you could possibly take a manual snap, roll back, and then mount the pre rollback snap.

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I have some some problems with recovery console.It starts before windows as it should,i press the home key,i see all the options,but i can't activate none of them.Click with mouse,nothing,i hit enter,nothing.Its like a "grey out" options,not working.Anybody had a similar problem?And what should i do to fix that?...Win 7 ultimate.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  10. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Probably just that you aren't using the scroll key. AyRecovery faked me out a year ago too and I noticed CTM does the same thing. Hit the down arrow once, and Restore will be highlighted, then hit enter and you should be good to go!

11. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Thanks a lot ratchet.It worked!(i should be ashame that i didn't realize that simple method)...:oops:

12. ratchet

My pleasure! I'm a 62 yr old guy that probably asks for help 100 to 1 giving help so it feels good. Also, like I said, same thing happened to me a year ago.

13. ratchet

Take this information with a grain of salt, since I'm just an old guy and my literacy level is very low relative to imaging and recovery, but... if your system will not boot at all and you have concerns about the CTM boot sequence, relative to booting from a recovery media, I had an interesting experience this morning. On my Vista laptop I store Paragon backups on the D partition and DVD's. I wanted to wipe it and just start new archives. I believe (suspect) once you store an image on a partition or an external HD, the imaging program prevents formating them but I have discovered partition managers can nuke anything (including the exHD I use for my desktop). I installed Easeus Partition Master (free until Feb by the way) to format D. It required a reboot and it booted into EPM first as opposed to CTM. EPM includes the ability to create a boot CD/DVD so I suspect that could boot a system without any BIOS/CMT issues. I'm also thinking boot media from other imaging products could do the same. Just a theory of course until I'm brave enough to try!

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Upon install it tells me that CTM is incompatible with Shadowdefender.
    Does anyone know why or has anyone uninstalled Shadow defender, then re-installed it after installing CTM and had any issues?

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Is there a setting somewheret that would do this,, when opening CTM the first window is defaulted to View Snapshots which is fine. Within that window is two tabs which are essentially the same. I would like mine to default to the second tab of Timeline View. Is that possible? I really don't see the point in having the two tabs.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Tony

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Remember CTM like all it's sister programs doesn't store files in a manner that the operating system knows about them, so if you were shadowed I can see all kinds of messy stuff happening most of which would end up trashing the system.

Pete

17. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Ok thanks Peter.
    I had a play for a few hours in shadow mode.
    Upon reboot everything was wiped out and no problems AFAIKT.

I will heed your warning though, Shadowdefender now uninstalled.

18. vhick

vhick Registered Member

I used CTM more than a week now. So far so good in my XP system. a little odd when I used registry defragmenter. Its show me Restore system button rather than the 3 task (restore system, take snapshot, advanced). I need to reboot once and all went well.

I have a question for the expert users of CTM, how do you cope with other security softwares (e.g. antivirus, etc) when it is frequently updating (e.g. definition updates, etc.)?

My setup in CTM is I make a restore task schedule to the last locked snapshot every reboot to relieve the shadow defender function. And syncronize the folder/files (e.g. antivirus program folder/files, etc.). The problem is it syncronize after logon. Not during reboot. At first attempt in this setup, my security program gets corrupt.

I hope every one help me. Thank you...

19. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Tested it for a while on my VM (Windows 7) and it worked nicely.
    However when I discovered that in real life to run CTM on a SSD the TRIM function must be disabled, it made it a no-no for me.
    So I uninstalled CTM according to instructions and on reboot the system would not start - I would have had to do a repair (and see what happens).
    Couldn't be bothered, just deleted the VM.

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Another VM roasted. Be warned.:ninja:

21. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I haven't seen a glitch seen the beta. I run chkdisk about once a week and I run system file checcker about twice a month just to make sure everything is good. I like CTM a lot and it is very covenient for me because I do a lot of beta testing and a lot of AV testing. All roll back software has the potential to cause serious problems and if you don't like that don't use it. I personally have had more problems out of Rollback RX than CTM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.