Comodo Sanbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by jo3blac1, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Well, anybody uses it?
    It's especially useful for people who like to run admin accounts like me. The COMODO Sandbox gives you an option to start specified applications with several restrictions:
    Untrusted
    Restricted
    Limited
    Partially Limited
    Basically what this program does is running applications with as much system restrictions as possible. With Untrusted, Comodo applies ALL possible windows restrictions and Limited it applies very little restrictions. In addition COMODO provides virtualization of file system and registry.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. jo3blac1

Well, anybody uses it? It seems like a very useful feature for people who like to run their windows in Admin account.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

it still lets stuff on to your hard drive apparently.has leftovers upon reboot.it needs improving.i always set it to untrusted.the partially limited is completely useless and rather weak.a fully virtualised sandbox is what is needed and im not sure how v6 looks on this aspect.Maybe the firewall problem will be solved also.:ninja: :ninja:

4. jo3blac1

It still seems useful in the aspect that it lowers privileges of Internet facing apps. Im running my browser in restricted mode because with the untrusted flash is no longer working.
    This is similar to SpyShelter "restricted mode." The problem with SS was that you could not lower the restrictions and I could never get flash to work.

5. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

The Comodo Sandbox is not like Sandboxie. It does not virtualize. Its more like a "drop my rights" kinda thing. By limiting the rights of an exe you are protecting your OS. Kaspersky does the same thing.

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The manual sandbox does virtual both the file system and registry as well as limiting the application in other ways.

7. jo3blac1

Right now I have Opera sandboxed. I clicked in advanced settings and enabled both registry and file system virtualization.

8. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Comodo's sandbox is not its strong point:
    - it does not delete its content after all programs stopped working there
    - there are no multiple sandboxes
    That's why some uses of Comodo even disable its sandbox, though I have it enabled. When I forced browsers into Comodo's sandbox there were some inconveniences to find downloads.

9. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

+1 to your observations Solar.

In the past I have found the CIS sandbox an irritation when enabled, especially when trying to install software. I now have it permanently disabled and use Sandboxie on demand for app virtualization, as well as Shadow Defender as an overall Windows safety net.

10. jo3blac1

Yes. How do you find the downloads? I had to remove opera from sandbox because I simply couldn't find the files downloaded...

11. Solarlynx

This way if e.g. you use Firefox and save at your desktop and your windows login is ABC:

"C:\VritualRoot\firefox.exe\HarddiskVolume2\Users\ABC\Desktop"

this "VritualRoot" is created by Comodo, it's hidden.
    It's rather convenient to create corresponding links.

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I have never used the Comodo sandbox but I guess Windows search can be used to find where Comodo places downloads. They got to be somewhere.

Bo

13. jo3blac1

Thanks for letting me know where the file system is located at. I got my Opera, VLC and other internet facing apps running there. Better than running it on the main system.

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

There's a hidden folder in the root of the drive called VirtualRoot. Inside is the virtualised file structure much like the contents of a SBIE container. If your Comodo sandboxed browser saves files to C:\Users\Downloads they will be located in C:\VirtualRoot\C\Users\Downloads or similar instead.

No quick recovery or direct access unlike the mighty Sandboxie. Lack of configurability options is the Comodo versions real problem IMO.

Cheers

Edir: Ooops I see Solarlynx already said that! Lesson: Read the full thread not just the last post :D

15. jo3blac1

Okay lets not compare A versus B cause modes dont like it.

Here is what I like about Comodo Sandbox:

1. no hit in performance
    2. replaces need to run Standard User Account

Wishlist:
    Give option to clean up virtualized file system.

16. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Only in the other anti-virus forum is the A vs B thing an issue I think. Anyway I agree let's avoid comparison. After all there is none really.

On the Comodo sandbox it is ok for what it does. Virtualise and limit apps on demand to compliment the rest of the product but it is not full featured enough for me. I like each element of a suite to function as it should, the 'oh well other elements will cover for this ones weakness' does not cut it for me.

I appreciate you can 'always sandbox' or whatever but that is not viable for me for day to day use in the long term. Viability for me could only come with flexibility and configurability.

By way of example I'd need an easy way go get stuff out, exclusions, restrictions to what can start/run inside the container that are different to those applied outside it and control of internet access from inside the container not related to general firewall rules. If it doesn't have those I wouldn't use it.

It's probably because I think of sandboxing as my first line of defense. The Comodo one is simply complimentary to other things and as a result is limited from my perspective.

If you're happy with the basic complimentary approach the Comodo version will be great for you.

17. jo3blac1

I think people would be less disappointed if comodo called it restriction policy rather than sandbox. Anyways, I do hope that they will develop it into actual sandbox with ability to fully virtualize single apps.

18. The Red Moon

From what i can gather that will be implemented in later versions(6.1,6.2).
    The new version will have a fully virtualised environment .So maybe things will be fully implemented in later versions.:blink: :ninja:

19. jo3blac1

Im glad:)
    Another one on wishlist is having something like Avast Safezone.

20. Solarlynx

Yes, Comodo sandbox is not fully virtualized even in its new version CIS 6.0. As for the Safezone this is implemented in Virtual Kiosk of CIS 6 - it's for banking too.

21. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Actually Kiosk is still a sandbox. It is most definitely not a full-featured system-wide light virtualization solution that is able to virtualize Windows as a whole plus all disks/partitions attached to the system.

I also seriously doubt that Kiosk will be resistant to sophisticated malware infections on its own, without the aid of an antiexecution component.

22. Solarlynx

23. The Red Moon

Hi cyberman,
    Could you elaborate on this please.I was under the impression the comodo kiosk was a full virtualisation program.
    :thumb: :ninja:

24. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Ah Melih, where would we be without you. Always good for a laugh. It must be true after all Melih has never made an exaggerated claim about his latest upcoming better than all the rest software before.........

Oh wait, he has, every time there's a new release.

I actually hope he's right this time because the more people benefiting from proper genuine application virtualisation the better. Let's wait and see though shall we.

25. jo3blac1

Why are COMODO forums so damn disorganized. Is kiosk out or not? I'd like to give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.