Comodo removed from Softpedia

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Acadia, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

Why, we even had a FP Comodo detecting it's own installer. There are a lot of FP's lately, but they're aiming it to fix it within 48 hours. No product is safe from FP's, I'm just happy that for now, comodo has only detected unneeded files, instead of some other products who detect Windows system required files...

I don't know if it's the goal of comodo just hoping that users install it blindly. But I don't think so, now, they spended a whole page on the installer for it and are clearly marking it, if they wanted their users to install it, they would've done it "sneakier".

Comodo asked softpedia to remove the Adaware tag. Softpedia removed CIS instead :blink:

Thanks for everyones comments so far

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

For what I know, Softpedia was given a deadline to remove the Adware tag from CIS, on their site. Softpedia, obviously, wasn't going to do that for the sake of COMODO, and told COMODO that if they changed the way the toolbar is provided, as in, opt-in, then they would remove it.

COMODO said nothing, so what do you think Softpedia should have done? Keep it as Adware, or remove Adware? They removed CIS instead, and well done. They can't abide by no vendor rules.

And, to show that Softpedia is fair, they introduced BitDefender Anti-phishing toolbar as being Freeware, while it is Adware, because it included the Ask.com search engine, and no opt-in/opt-out. I e-mailed them this morning, and now http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/BitDefender-Anti-Phishing.shtml

They're fair.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. m00nbl00d

Yes, I know. ;)

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Maybe true, but quite irrelevant to this particular thread.
    Yes, with the threat of legal action.
    The question is: Is ask.com adware?
    A-Squared, ArcaVir, CAT-QuickHeal, ClamAV, Fortinet, Panda, Sunbelt, VBA32 report it as such.
    Perhaps Comodo should threaten these AV vendors with legal action as well.

5. eXPerience

I wasn't aware of that, until I reread the article, it indeed states that Comodo asked them to remove the adaware tag within 7 days.

I don't understand why they removed it then, but perhaps I can understand after getting such a mail...

Not entirely, don't forget they claim this :
    so they should've prevented it from being on the site first. But I guess, this is just becoming a yes-no talk anyway. I would say : let's hope Comodo learns something from it and that they will fix this in the V4

Best regards

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Lets all keep it civil.

eXPerience. Welcome to Wilders. No doubt you realize you are in an area, almost as emotional as whose AV is better. Enjoy.

Pete

7. eXPerience

Thank you for your welcome :).

I know, but I think this topic is dead now. I think we talked about everything we had to talk about.

Best regards

8. eXPerience

I don't really understand where you violate somebodies privacy ? If it would've been a Google toolbar I would agree. But there is no data submitted nor stored.
    Comodo didn't ask Softpedia to lie. They weren't familiar with Softpedia's own created Adaware definition. So they asked them to remove it. But because of Softpedia's (to say at least strange way) of defining adaware, they got kicked from softpedia.
    You are never forced to use the toolbar. You get the choice.I personally don't believe that newbie users just click around, 90% read of what is stated (but don't understand).

I would like to state again that I'm not pro - not contra the toolbar. but I think people are a bit overreacting because of it.

Thanks for your opinion,

9. eXPerience

As far as I know, they detect it because the ask toolbar gets installed sometimes without the permission of the user. (which is not in case with comodo)

Thanks

10. m00nbl00d

I always give the benefit of the doubt, and as a human, who sometimes makes mistakes, I also believe others are entitled to do them so. But, as soon as I brought it to their attention, they changed the tag right away.

I call that accepting that they made a mistake. The same COMODO would be doing, in case they had made a step back, by allow users to opt-in, instead of opt-out. (Which, as far as I see, COMODO doesn't even offer an opt-out for Ask.com toolbar, as some claim. What COMODO offers, is a opt-out for SafeSurf. There's no opt-out for Ask.com toolbar, if SafeSurf gets installed. This is clearly an abuse, just as happens with BitDefender's case. See, I'm also fair. ;)) I just hate this sort of situation, for it is unfair.

Regards

11. eXPerience

I'm not so sure what you're talking about. i've never installed safesurf and I've never seen the Ask toolbar.

best regards

12. m00nbl00d

Exactly.

I don't understand all the hype that happened for this opt-in for Ask.com toolbar, when there's not even an opt-out for it, only for SafeSurf.

So, what should be really asked is: Why doesn't COMODO, at least, offer an opt-out for the installation of Ask.com toolbar?

The answer is easy: It's a business deal between COMODO and IAC, and for COMODO to get revenue, users must install Ask.com toolbar, by all means. ;)

Otherwise, if such wasn't part of the deal, wouldn't COMODO simply make available an option to opt-out of Ask.com toolbar, at least?

Ask yourselves. The evidences are there.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Look, I think we've just about done this one to death, but I have to add that unless one of us works for Ask, none of us are sure just what they collect and what they do with it. For all we know, they can still be up to their old habits. Hell guys, they're still listed as bad at many of the security websites we frequent and in the AVs and anti-spywares we use. Obviously SOMETHING is still not on the up and up, or else why would they all care?

I'll say this again, if you flag something as malware/adware/crapware/tupperware in your product, why the bloody hell do you even let that same thing be opt-in OR out in your product.....sleeping with the enemy? There's no point in blasting each other all day over whether Ask is bad or not bad, they WERE bad, and something about them still upsets the well-known security vendors we use.

14. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

ssj100:
    Or not. haha (annoying isn't it)

15. ahriman

And Vista, haha, and Windows 7, haha. And OpenBSD, haha.

More seriously, I will never use Comodo products again. I do use some products that install
    unwanted 'extras', but they have a clear 'opt-in' choice. Unclear 'opt-out' only.
    Forget it.

16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

if comodo offer an honest un check option why don't use it?!
    its doesnt install nothing fishy , its an honest company which deliver the best security products out there for free.

so peeking to what u claim sound very lame if i may put it in "light" words

cheers

17. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

We see it differently for sure. That detection of ask toolbar by Comodo itself annoys me more. Not everyone finds it great software - some report being hacked with it or have problems with it - and trust is more important to me even if I did love it.

18. Ardmore

Ardmore Registered Member

The corporate world has sadly evolved into an anything-for-profits mentality. Add to that fact people failing to realize that there is no free lunch, and there, in a nutshull, you have why peoples' life savings have gone down the drain and we are in economic disaster. Corporate morality took a vacation, and in that overall scheme of things something like the "free" Comodo/Ask situation falls very, very low on the totem pole of transgressions.

Getting back to that free lunch, I just can't fathom why this presumptuous idea of entitlement from the early days of the internet persists. If you want something of value, it is reasonable to expect to have to pay some kind of compensation for it. Bless those that still provide truly free and safe software, but they are doing a favor for us, not performing a duty.

And yes, NOD's unexpectedly stamping 10,000 of my emails with five lines of advertising (not one line -- how effective an advertisment could *that* hope to be?) was the most annoying thing any paid program has done to MY system in years. I spent many hours trying to restore as many of my emails as possibly to the non-transgressed state. ( I do give ESET credit for refunding my license on request, even though I could find nothing requiring them to do so in the U.S.)

BTW, if there are any U.S. posters here who seethe at portions of the economic bailout such as mortgage assistance because those whose homes were foreclosed "have no one but themselves to blame for not being realistic and checking the fine print, deciphering the contract details, etc. " -- then it is hypocritcal for you to complain about Comodo and Ask taking advantage of those poor helpless folks who aren't computer-savvy enough to untick boxes, uninstall toolbars and maintain a healthy skepticism of anything that purports to be "free."

19. ahriman

So true. I only use 'free' software during testing phases. "Trust No One": the obvious motto, which makes Wilders such an invaluable resource.

20. Ardmore

Ardmore Registered Member

What?? I said the scams, politicians, shysters etc were "FAR worse" (including the caps). That's a way of distinguishing, not lumping together.

21. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Ask toolbar is installed with the users express permission in CIS? So far as I can tell, no mention of ask toolbar is made whatsoever in the installer, so unless the user wades through the EULA (unlikely), they are completely unaware of the impending installation of ask toolbar. Unless of course you somehow expect users to know that safesurf = ask.

22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I don't consider it being scared off. I have a legit trust issue with Comodo. I will not use it, period.

There have been reports of hacking at the Comodo forums and at one of the Softpedia boards. And I have visited the other forums: Comodo to my eyes has a higher rate of problems. The latest RELEASE CANDIDATE worked horribly for me.

23. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I don't believe this. If that was the case, more would be speaking out with the popularity Comodo has.

After a PM conversation with Melih at the Comodo forum, I liked what he had to say about future plans. I might reconsider installing again in the future.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not sure if you're trying to raise a point with this link or not? What download.com says matters little, I've downloaded so much crapware and malware from there it isn't even funny. Softpedia is just as guilty, I've seen adware/malware on their website too. If you're determined to know Asks' past, you're a Google away, and probbaly a search away here too.

Edit: Here, I've done some work for you. Keep in mind this is PAST activity, which you were seeking: http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/ask-toolbars/

25. eXPerience

Hey guys,

I don't have the time to read all the earlier replies now, but I will after I come back from school. I just wanted to point out that it was indeed a FP.

in the promised FP topic : http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t38509.0.html

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.