Comodo Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ed_H, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

does one really need the defense +? and if so why?

robin

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Better try different question. Does one really needs third-party firewall ? And if so, then why ? Third-party firewall without HIPS support is not any better than build-in firewall.

What I mean Comodo is only good with D+. Without D+ it is the same as built-in firewall (only setup technique differs) and no better than the dozens of other HIPS-free free firewalls. I'd say that some other HIPS-free free firewalls have more convinient and usable setup. But this is a matter of taste, of course. And as for network performance Comodo definitely is worse than the most of the HIPS-free free available firewalls. According to PerfUDP and PerfTCP Comodo performance was discovered .. hm .. not very good.

3. robinb

robinb Registered Member

now you really lost me. are you telling me that not using defense + it doesn't have hips support? or even with defense + there is no HIPS.
    It seems you are knocking Comodo completely here.

If so I would like to hear from those using Comodo to explain why it is no good when so many here feel it is a great free firewall. and should I have defense + on and which one- the optimal or the normal?

robin

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Comodo, if you disable D+ completely, becomes a simple application firewall. That is, its not acting as HIPS anymore. If you do use D+, then it's like running firewall and HIPS all at one. Hence, it's much safer.

The same applies to OA firewall for example. If you disable the HIPS protection.

Of course, you can follow a middleway approach, using D+, but not with all the security features on. (one such example is the so called "optimal security" option during installation). Personally when i do run Comodo, i run it with D+ and proactive security (all options activated), in clean pc mode and custom policy for firewall.

IMHO the whole point in using Comodo, is to have D+, which for a Wilder's user should be more than enough to cover his security needs together with an AV.

If i wasn't to use D+, i 'd rather use one of the firewalls that took 100% on PerfUDP and TCP tests and add more security through other programs.

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been using the Comodo firewall with D+ and I would say it is a bit quieter than previous versions but it does slow my internet connection significantly. I am going back to OA free.

6. robinb

robinb Registered Member

ok I re enabled the defense + (this required a reboot) and put it in- safe mode it but it is way annoying asking me to allow/dissalow programs I know are safe, so i just put it in clean pc mode and maybe it will ask me less. I do find that now that defense + is on, programs load slower and surfing the net is a bit slower too. I had OA Free before but it would not remember when I told it to remember always which was a royal pita. and it slowed down my computer even more than this one is.

I will give it a few days and see how it does in this mode.

robin

7. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

OA Free and CIS are very good security software IMHO. I have used both and recommend both. With CIS, leave the firewall in Safe Mode, D+ in Clean PC mode and make sure you are using Proactive Security. Try starting all your apps so CIS will create all the rules for them. When you are done put D+ into Safe mode and your done. If you are installing something new, you have the choice of putting CIS into installation mode and will not see any popups or answer all the popups on the installation. It seems like a lot of work but when CIS knows your system, you are as secure as you can get! I am also using the AV and find its getting better all the time.

Ice

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

This came from their Help files
    COMODO - Internet Security (which is for the full installation, with Antivirus and Firewall components (Recommended and this is the default choice) )
    COMODO - Proactive Security (which is for the full installation with some advanced settings. This choice provides highest security level. This choice is suggested for users who need maximum protection)
    COMODO -Antivirus Security (Which is for the Antivirus component)
    COMODO - Firewall Security (Which is for the Firewall component)

I have it set for Firewall Security (which it defaulted to) because I do not have the AV installed, on this test computer I am using Avira Prem which I am trialing.

I see that Proactive Security is the mega one. for maximum protection. I am on a lynksis router so why would I need the maximum protection. Doesn't it use more memory and also popup stuff more? and is it a bit overkill?

I have the firewall set to Safe Mode and now D+ in clean pc mode

robin

9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

As long as you have D+ in Clean PC mode it will not give more popups by putting this in Proactive Security. It uses the same amount of memory which is under 10meg. I don't think its overkill if a keylogger trys to copy your key stokes by some crafty malware writer on the other side of the world. :D

Ice

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Wich ones?

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Usually they are the ones without HIPS. :D

Well, those that i remember are Ashampoo, PC Tools, Rising Firewall. I also *think* webroot might have had both 100%.

Most probably Kerio 2 will have 100% too, it's so light.

12. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hey robin.

alex_s is knocking Comodo, He is an Online Armor guy and doesn't like Comodo. :) As for Defense+, It will get better as it will learn your programs in a few days and then you will hardly notice any Alerts expect when necessary. Usability is being studied right now for CIS/CFP and in CIS you will see the first step of usability, and this will continue going forward. :)

13. 41L3F

41L3F Registered Member

i'm using comodo FW for more than a year, was OA customer but i uninstalled cause comodo was more i was looking for.
    i never noticed any network slow speed on my ADSL line 8Mbits (real DL speed) or my ISP cable 30MBits.
    same on my local network, when using HFS and opera to transfert files by HTTP i got like 10-11MBytes/S speed.
    the desktop is some C2D 3GHZ with 2 raptors 150MB and the latop is some xps M1330 with best options i could get when it was cpu T7500. both running with 3G of ram.
    so maybe it's cause i got machines fast enough so i dont see any prob with comodo and speed network but people over comodo forum dont mention any prob about speed network and comodo.
    my ISP cable ping got no prob. the adsl ping is not as good, normal situation for adsl.
    so... cant say comodo is slowing my network at all, and i activated the option to Monitor other NDIS protocols than TCP/IP, comodo informs users about the fact that this option is disabled by default because it can reduce system performance, but it works fine here.

14. 3xist

3xist Guest

I notice no slow downs either. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.