Comodo Port Issue

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dw426, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi there, I have a bit of an unnerving problem. I tried searching through Comodo's forums and even asked the question, but so far no answer. Here's what is happening, when setting up my bittorrent app and actually just about every P2P program, I of course set the Network Rules in Comodo. I set a specific port, then set that specific port in the application. I then make sure that the rules are above the "Block" rule in Comodo.

Now, here comes the fun part. When the app tries to connect, 1 of 4 things happens and they happen randomly:

1. The app tries to connect, Comodo asks if it's ok, I allow it and it works fine.

2. The app tries to connect, Comodo says it's trying to connect to a DIFFERENT port than I have set up in the firewall and the app, I block it and the app won't work of course.

3. The app tries to connect, Comodo says it wants to connect to the CORRECT port for TCP, but an INCORRECT port for UDP. I allow the TCP and block the UDP and the program works but not the way it should, ie I can't search.

4. The app tries to connect, Comodo says both TCP and UDP are trying to connect to the CORRECT port, it works fine for a while, then Comodo pops up and the app now decides it wants to connect to the INCORRECT port, I block it, and the program goes useless.

Now, the ports in question. I use very high port numbers, usually above 50000, when these problems occur, it's because the application is trying to connect to the "old P2P ports", ie the 6000 range.

Now, this did NOT happen in the previous version of Comodo, only this new one. What in the world is causing this? I feel insecure for one thing, and for another it turns my apps useless. In fact, this new Comodo seems to have a LOT of OLE/Parent/Hook-type "warnings". Sometimes I have to click "Yes" 3 or 4 times just to let a browser through, most often with Firefox.

I don't think my system is causing this, I don't run a router right now, and it was happening on a previous installation of Windows, and I just reinstalled Windows the other day, tightened up security and all that good stuff. There has got to be something going on with that firewall. If it can't get figured out, I'm going to have to move on to another firewall because this makes me nervous.

If I do have to move on, are there any decent free firewalls left? Sygate is gone, Outpost Free is gone/outdated,LNS I know nothing about, and ZoneAlarm Free, well, it was hands down the easiest one to set up and NEVER gave any trouble letting apps through. BUT, I can't find a single soul willing to give it a half decent remark, everybody hates it, so I guess it's out.

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I guess some programs needing incoming connections can be configured for a certain port only. That could help with Comodo. To first restrict in internet accessing app before setting the firewall rules.

Basically the problem with Comodo is that "block everything" rule in the bottom of the network rules. The firewalls like kerio or Sygate will block unknown implicitly and you get asked about them.

One gets asked by Comodo for incoming connections in application rules when they are not specified and are according to SPI only ie. matching the outgoing connection. For unsolicited incoming connections you won't get asked I think.
    You have to look at that block rule in the cryptic log window and try to find out from there what port(s) need to be opened.

To me kerio 2.1.5 or Sygate 5.5 are not dead, just discontinued. Of course they won't work in Vista, but I am in a few weeks going to get a new PC and it will run XP Pro.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

What do you mean by different port? Can you post the log of blocked connections?
    I use Azureus, my TCP port is 52640 and it also uses TCP ports 6880 & 45100 to listen.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi Tom, not sure where that log is actually. I'm using right now port 52400 for TCP and UDP on my Shareaza, but the darn thing, like I said, keeps wanting to connect to the 6000 range also. Now I thought the 6000 range was no longer a good idea as ISP's block them, so I never set a rule for those ports to open. Why is the application asking for all these different ports when I've specifically set them up for a specific port?

I can allow those 6000 range port requests all day long, but since I don't have that range forwarded the app half works. I don't really understand the rules configuring and port stuff, I just know how to forward them and set the applications to use them. I also know the previous version of Comodo never did such things, I set a port, and that port alone was used. That's why I'm so confused, I've never dealt with this situation.

5. TairikuOkami

Oh, well then it is not, what I though. Sorry, I no longer use Comodo, so I do not know.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, I'm basically a security "don't know much", so I'd actually would like to hear what you had thought. It may very well turn out to be something I need to check into.

7. TairikuOkami

I had the similar "issue" with firewalls, not just Comodo, that it keeped up asking me about incoming and outgoing connections, because I allowed In/Out for remote ports 1024-65535 only, so people who used incoming ports like 0, 80 and etc were causing constant alerts. I thought, that you have set up remote ports 60000 and up, so people who use other would cause popups. But it would be best, if you would post 2-3 screenshots of those alerts, so it would be obvious, what you are refferring to. Maybe it will help someone else to help you.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, lol, now connection tests are telling me both TCP and UDP fail....with the network rules still in place and activated. It's looking like I'm going to need to pony up some cash and get a pay firewall, since, IMHO, Comodo has gone to crap or something is REALLY screwed up in the program someplace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.