Comodo or stick with Windows 7 Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by repartioner12, Jul 21, 2016.

1. repartioner12

repartioner12 Registered Member

I've FINALLY gotten Windows 7 (used Windows XP my entire life). I can't decide between:

Windows Firewall +
    Tiny Firewall
    OR
    Windows Firewall Controller

OR
    Comodo Firewall

Just curious as to what member's choice would between these options?

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Comodo Firewall gives you extensive protection, including strong HIPS.

Windows Firewall has outbound protection but you need a GUI frontend to administer it, which is where Windows Firewall Control comes in.

Depending on your setup any of those free firewalls should provide more than adequate protection.

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

COMODO all the way.

4. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Not going to exaggerate their offering. Comodo has a tendency to prematurely release new products/services and software updates. If you don't like being a guinea pig, you don't have to update immediately. I've will delay updating the firewall for a couple days until after complaints and issues pour in from the early adopters. On major updates: uninstall your existing installation before you run the installer. On minor updates: you can get by running the installer over the top of an existing installation. I do this will almost all software updates on the windows machines that I maintain, with exception to core software such as visual studio.

In general, I suggest you write down before hand:
    • what it is you need from your firewall?
    • what it is you expect from a firewall?
    Then rate these items based upon their importance. If you find features in a firewall that you do not value and would not use. Disable these features or consider an offering that does not come bloated with them. In my experience, Comodo does a very good job of protecting the systems that I have installed it on without the user needing to fiddle around with the configuration. The auto-sandboxing and HIPS might not be right for every user, but when leveraged properly are a lot more useful, especially for the novice users, that don't have common sense to not execute unknowns on their system.

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I'd go with an older version of Comodo Firewall.

6. askmark

askmark Registered Member

What version would you recommend?

7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I am using 5.12 on Win7 x64.

8. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I've been running the latest version for months now with no hiccups. For me Comodo hands down.

9. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

I've heard elsewhere too that 5.12 is solid & preferred choice. Is it "optimum" for win7x64. mini concern that my hardware is new and win7 not many apps installed yet, mostly clean & pristine. Does comodo generally uninstall cleanly? I find that using an installer to trace installation often balks with security apps.

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Windows Firewall. It does what a firewall needs to do and no compatibility issues.

11. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I'd have to disagree there, if you use the default of outbound is all allowed, yes, no problems BUT with Win7 through 10 if you start with an outbound policy of DENIED it seems to have issues applying certain allowed rules that are created. In particular the vmnat.exe in VMWare springs to mind. It can apply IP rules (by itself) fine, but once it has IP & port rules things go downhill and WF is the first [and only] time I've ever encountered this issue with a firewall (and it's persisted through several OS versions..).

Ive enabled logging, checked the blocks vs the rules and even though they match the 'allowed' rules for it, it still gets blocked with no helpful info as to why. Maybe it's VMWares fault but I doubt it at this point. Perhaps it's just something I missed but when I create the 'same rules' via 3rd party FWs, they work as expected....go figure.... the instant I remove the port rules, WF works again...odd..and not what I would qualify as trustworthy though no connection is certainly better than allowing the wrong ones. I just can't trust it due to this 'persistent' bug though.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  12. pidgey

pidgey Registered Member

I prefer firewalls like Comodo compared to Windows Firewall Controller and similar, and this is why:
    When a new program tries to connect to the internet, on firewalls like WFC and others that are just front-ends that use Windows Firewall, the program gets blocked, then you get a warning of a new connection from WFC, then you can choose whether to allow or block.
    In the meantime the program doesnt find internet connection and usually gives an error, and most of the time you must close the program and restart it again.
    In firewalls like Comodo, when a new program connects to internet, you get the warning from the firewall, but in the meantime the original program is paused and waits for the response of the firewall, so when you allow the access to internet, the program just goes on like originally intended and you dont need to close it down and reopen it again.
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    But this is the main issue i always had with firewalls like WFC or similar that are just frontends for Windows Firewall.

On the other end, firewalls like Comodo or Outpost and similar, are a bit more invasive in the system and can give other kind of issues.

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

windows 8 firewall is more hardend - but in this case i would investigate in MSE or EMET instead a 3rd-party tool with disputable background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.