comodo memory firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by computer geek, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

comodo memory firewall do you need if you have comodo firewall pro installed?

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Yes, cmf can stop buffer overflow.

3. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

it does not have to be configured does it?

4. Coolio10

Nope, always on.

5. ParaNodes

ParaNodes Registered Member

computer geek,

No config , and it also has an excluder should you have conflicts ( ala, CBOC).

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not that it can stop them, it was designed specifically to stop them.
    It's by no mean any similar to the regular network firewalls.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

A bit of a misnomer, in my view, "Comodo Memory Firewall".
    It's purely an application to prevent, or rather stop dead an application with a buffer overflow. Not to be confused with what most folk know as a Firewall.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well it is a firewall, but not for the network traffic. It keeps memory "space" clean with no memory overflowing where it shouldn't. A "memory firewall".
    The name is correct, ppl just understand it wrong because they're used to connect word "firewall" with internet right away...

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Sure, I understand the difference. The OP is one of several I've seen that indicates many don't.
    So while the name is technically correct, and OK, there is the potential for those-who-are-easily-led to be mislead.
    I guess the name is a done deal, now, but suitable alternatives could be something like Comodo Memory Guard, or Comodo Overrun Protector. (with the added benefit of a memorable acronym.) (No pun intended.)

10. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Does this product actually work? Does what they are describing on their website sound reasonable?

11. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

That is my question. Has it been tested by anyone?

12. Coolio10

Download their tester.

13. WilliamP

Please don't take this wrong,but I doubt that they would have a test that their program wouldn't catch. Is there any other test that can be run?

14. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

LOL!

Well is there anyone on these forums with programming knowledge to under the technical aspect of a buffer overflow? Does what Comodo have on their website seem reasonable?

15. WilliamP

I wish that I had the knowledge to test it. I have a computer that is a spare with XP Pro. on it that I have set up kind of as a test bed.

16. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

17. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I installed CMF from the first day version 2 apeared.I used it with COMODO 3+BD2008,Jetico2+BitDefender,PCTools+KAV,COMODO3+KAV,Jetico2+TrendMicro,COMOD3+AVAST and works excellent ,a nice thing is that this tiny software seems to enhance my online gaming experience it seems less laggyer(quite strange).I advise you when defragmenting to close the CMF.
    Untill now i catched 2 atempts of Buffer Overflow with some strange aplications.I have to mention that i closed DEP because on my old 32 bit systems impacts with my computer performance thing that with CMF doesnt hapening.
    Excellent piece of software.

18. morgrum

morgrum Registered Member

For some reason, even with CMF installed, Comodo's BO Tester shows that I am vulnerable to Heap Overflows (but not Stack or R2LibC).

I'm also using CFP (Comodo Firewall), which seems to be the culprit. In one configuration, CFP stopped CMF from blocking any kind of BO (even though it was running and wasn't impeded by choosing the wrong option on any CFP alerts), but now it seems to be interfering with only CMFs ability to stop Heap Overflows.

The funny thing is though, I can completely disable CMF and I am still vulnerable to the Heap problem. I think there's a real issue with cross-compatibility between Comodo's various programs.

BOClean started repeatedly crashing/restarting at bootup after installing CFP, even after I gave it full permissions in CFP, so I had to uninstall it. I hope Comodo gets all these programs running smoothly together and then integrates them into CFP. It will be the ultimate free HIPS solution if they finally get it all together, especially once they can do the same with CAVS (their antivirus).

It would be nice to have a solid/stable piece of software which can do all that, and could reduce resource consumption significantly (compared to that required by a multitude of apps necessary to fill all those roles).

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Hey guys, I know I've asked about it's effectiveness before but its been a little while now. Has anyone had any experiences with this product they would like to share? Does it actually work?

Cheers
    Jeremy

20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Sure it works. It takes memory and CPU according to my ProcessExplorer :)

21. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Beyond taking up RAM and using CPU cycles?

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I dunno, really. Those are the only traces of its work :)

Speaking seriously, I installed it just for fun. I don't really think it improves my security and I never got any popups from it. From the other side, I do not see that it had visible impact to my system. Though, I didn't also notice any improvements as some other people did :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.