Comodo Memory Firewall Final Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Coolio10, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Just installed 2 hours ago on this Intel duo 2 core processor, WinXP MCE, sp3.

Seems running very smoothly; very little impact on system resources, no noticeable slowdowns on Internet surfing, no traceable drags on system performance. I do not even notice its presence except an icon in system tray area.

Likely to be a nice companion to other security apps (transitional and revolutionary, all alike)

Thanks for the info, and congratulate to Comodo folks.

Take care.

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Just installed it. XP Home SP2. Avast, SpywareTerminator, and CFP 2.4.
    As above, barely noticeable.

4. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

I don't have any technical knowledge when it comes to buffer overflow
    exploits. My machine supports DEP and it's turned on. Do I gain anything
    from installing Comodo?

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

If you are using Win XP then DEP provides no protection against return-to-libc attacks, which CMF detects.

/C.

6. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Yes, running XP 32 here. I'll give it a try. Thanks!!

7. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

while looking into Threatfires buffer overflow protection, i ran into this paragraph on their blog. so in support of what has already been said, here it is:

so mayhap CMG is worth taking a closer look at afterall.

Mike

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

So far I´ve discovered a smaller memory conflict between CMF and a Windows systemfile that handles updates. The solution is simple, just exclude the file in CMF:s application list:

C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

/C.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´ve asked it on the CMF forum, and luckily it´s not incompatible with SSM and ZAP, upon install it will warn you about this, but it´s because they have used the same installer as for Comodo Firewall. There also don´t seem to be any visible conflicts on my machine, so it´s looking good.

Now I only need to know if this tool is really effective or not, according to LUSHER it is not, apparently it´s explained on the Threatfire blog why this is the case, but I couldn´t find it. But Solcroft says that TF can´t protect against some type of BO´s itself. I think it would be useful for the Comodo team to create some new tests, and with that I mean real POC´s who can all be used in real life attacks.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Rasheed: Slipfest. Then again DEP can grab it also i think.

11. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I installed CMF. When I rebooted, I received a message box that said Windows had been altered without authorization and it would no longer be able to verify that I was licensed. It also refused to open the Control Panel or Computer - Properties dialogue.

Attempts to uninstall CMF did not work when using the Uninstall link in the program's Start Menu folder. It appeared to uninstall, but would reappear at next book. The program finally uninstalled correctly through CCleaner's Tools - Uninstall menu and the Windows message has not returned since.

I am using Vista Ultimate, with NOD32v3 for malware prevention. It returned the same error with the previous poster's file listed in the exclusion box of CMF.

12. pettyracing

pettyracing Registered Member

Is this firewall used in place of comodos personal pro f/w? Are there now 2 distinct and separate f/w available?

I would not think it would be in conjuction with it. Is there an advantage to using one vs. the other.

I have a Zyxel route with SP1 stateful inspection f/w. Any idea which would work the best?

Thanks.

13. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

Well, they do different things, this protects against buffer overflows, Comodo Firewall Pro 3 protects against anauthorized network traffic, program execution or file write...

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

As said above, they do different things. So, yes, in conjunction with it. (or another firewall.)
    Perhaps Comodo could have named it slightly differently...you can see how confusion is likely to arise....maybe something like Comodo Memory Protect, or Guard, or something.

Does anyone know how to get rid (permanently) of the balloon tip above the Systray at startup?

15. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Have a look at the following pages:

They show you in detail which buffer overflows various softwares have stopped and the benefits of using "Buffershield" instead of hardware DEP.

http://www.sys-manage.com/PRODUCTS/BufferShield/PreventedExploits/tabid/63/Default.aspx

https://www.sys-manage.com/PRODUCTS/BufferShield/DEPcomparison/tabid/186/Default.aspx <---- DEP Test

http://www.sys-manage.com/BufferShield/tabid/61/Default.aspx

I wonder how Comodo will fair in the above prevented exploits page!!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks:

I d/l DEP test from the 2nd link provided by previous post.

Comodo memory firewall has FAILED in all five categories.

Any comments?

17. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

:thumb: Very confusing, especially since they already offer a real firewall. Forever people have been telling us to not run two firewalls or two Anti-viruses or etc... I guess they don't know the same people we do :cautious:.

18. dmenace

I've downloaded the test as well and yeah Comodo fails all five DEP tests.

Obviously Comodo is a relative newcomer in this segment and thus has lots of room for improvement. My only worry is now it will give users a false sense of security...

Will be interesting to see how Prevx and DefensePlus fare...

19. dmenace

A great free alternative to Comodo Memory Firewall is Wehntrust Home User. However this is heaps more powerful and free.

Could someone test it with the DEP test mentioned above.

Be warned though WehnTrust creates BSOD with DefenseWall.

Link: http://www.wehnus.com/products.pl

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

WehnTrust 1.0,0.9 ? Forget it;

I tested it with a testing machine, It rendered WinXP sp3 unbootable after first reboot, I have to use safe mode to reach recovery commander of system suite 8 to restore .

Do not even thinking about trying it, unless you are well prepared for the worst, besides, that version was released way way back in mid 2006, an aged app, no flavour any more, and could be poisonous. Take care.

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I tried it also but without probs here. XP SP2

Gerard

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, interesting. Good for you.

Perhaps mine is primarily an apps compatibility issue. Comodo Memory Firewall is OK here. :rolleyes: just can not please everyone, eh? Take care.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks;

If I use the BO tester provided by Comodo, Comodo Memory Firewall passed the first two of three tests. Just wonder are these testers impartial at all ?

24. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I hardly think so since they tailoring the tests to let their own products pass at first hand.

/C.

25. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have SSM and Comodo Firewall [Without Defense+] activated. I had a couple of minor problems and found that even though it showed Defense was inactive it wasn't. I think I have it fixed now. I have been interested in this Memory Firewall ,and did have it installed for a short time with no problems. I want to know is it really effective in the real world with BO's . People with Vista should stay away. I have read of the software licenses being lost. Check on Comodo Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.