Comodo Is

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ChineseGlueMan, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChineseGlueMan

ChineseGlueMan Registered Member

Today I completely zero-filled my harddrive (formatted) and I was searching for a free product that can do what I want it to do.
    I just happened to google comodo because I wanted their free firewall.
    What I didn't realize was that they provide a package with antivirus+firewall, I installed this product before but can't seem to remember them putting an AV in it. Silly me, :p.
    Well the question I'm going to ask is if this antivirus also scans for spyware, or do I need a seperate anti-spyware product? I get confused with things like these because some products still call it antivirus but has antimalware.
    Also, what other products would you consider me to use along with Comodo Internet Security (free).
    Thx for ur time.
    Lol btw, I just realized how insanely low of memory usage this has. I am really surprised seeing as how this is what I exactly wanted, a good product with low memory (i got a slow computer).

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Yep, it scans for spyware and all malware in general, it's all you need.

3. ChineseGlueMan

Hey you, thanks :p it's just why dont they rename it to Anti-Malware (AM) I mean it doesn't seem to negatively affect them as a company lol.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Just remember though that there are better free choices out there for AV/AS protection. Have a look at AVG, Avira or Avast!

5. ChineseGlueMan

Aaaaah, I read an older article saying Comodo's AV isn't its strong point.

If so, I'll just reinstall Comodo as a standalone firewall. I'm very interested in Avast seeing as I used it before but I guess I had some weird compatibility problem or just perfect coincidence.

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yes the firewall standalone with another AV is a much better idea. All the three I mentioned are good choices. Personally I like Avira as it is light and just works. AVG free manages to screw up on me from time to time and I just cant stand the basic Avast interface.

7. ChineseGlueMan

Well so far I am liking the antivirus compenent, but I don't know about its rate of FP's seeing as this computer has almost no program files in it yet. Also I'm pretty picky about my memory usage its an old computer but I know for sure Avira uses low memory, but how much does Avast use? If you don't happen to know by chance then I'll just look it up.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I've used CIS for some time and I thought it was very good including the AV part. There are FP's with the AV but it's getting better each day. Comodo set a timeframe for Oct Nov of this year where they think the AV will stand toe to toe against the big boys. If they do pull that off it would be quite an accomplishment. I switched to OA because I find it a bit easier to use.

Ice

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Outpost free plus Avira free is a good alternative to Comodo

10. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

Dear ChineseGlueMan,

Comodo scans for every type of malware, so it will also protect you from spyware.

I think you used to have Comodo Firewall Pro, it didn't have the antivirus bundled in that version. Now it has over 5 million signatures and 30 min. updates. It will not be able to compete with Avira, but it's coming closer everyday.

Defense+ will protect you from any virus that the integrated AM scanner will miss, but you can of course change to Avira free (I wouldn't sujest Avast tough, just my opinion).
    If you're choosing the AM scanner from Comodo indeed, you should indeed be aware of FP's, there are still some.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

yours sincerely,
    eXPerience

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.