Comodo Internet Security reviewed by PCMag

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliliPrince

AliliPrince Registered Member

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

While I do not fully agree with PCMag's negative comments, I will certainly NOT give any credence whatsoever to the youtube review. Good grief, no!

I have used CFWP for protracted periods on several occasions. I found it to be a good FW/HIPS, but with an AV that is still in early puberty. IMO the GUI is "workable but unfriendly" -- closely resembling something that was developed by a committee.

I will continue to monitor its development but it is not my present choice for FW/HIPS/AV.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i actually like comodo's GUI, but i agree that the AV part of it still isnt matured enough to compete with other products.

4. aieie

aieie Registered Member

well, it's the same thing for almost every "suite" i see: there is a strong section and a week one.

Many people agree that Comodo firewall offers for free a pretty strong protection so...........take the firewall choose other products to cover the other security section..........build your own suite :)

5. s4u

s4u Registered Member

That's a good idea indeed. Although i must admit that the AV is improving fast

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with reverse engineering, when dealing with old mainframe propierty applications, it just shows that they have not actual documentation and have to reverse enginere the program logic. :cautious:

There is nothing wrong in reverse engineering, when dealing with security pattern analysis, it just shows that the engine you are using currently needs a lot of extra footprints to deal with known malware :cautious:

Reverse engineering is a smart solution to deal with something which is basically a lousy situation to be in.

It seems to be harder as expected to get a real functioning antivirus engine with automated pattern recognition (as with PrevX or DriveSentry)

SO Comodo has a lot of IT force and is a fine company offering real good freeware, When they are cought in their learning curve some sarcasme on their results won't reduce the quality of the really great firewall they are offering for free. It just shows that IT skills which are closely relatred are different. Considering CIS is their second try on the AV market, I assume the third will be spot on (on the second tier quality AV's).

Bottem line:
    Yes it is true Comodo over estimated their capabilities in estableshing a world class AV
    NO it won't be the end of CIS, CIS release X will be a killer application

7. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I love reviewers with a strong sense of humour! Comodo's closest competitor is ZAF. ROFL! :argh: :argh: o_O

(Or, translated into marketing language, "People, don't you dare replace your Norton or ZA firewall with this! You need to continue buying the paid products, not the free ones! This isn't anywhere near the league of the paid ones! It's ZAF level we 're talking about! So, go back to the shop and buy the uber Norton!).

Dear PC Mag, it's things like that , that made me decide many years ago, that you are on the same league with "free online articles", so why buy you! :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I never said there is something wrong with reverse engineering. Which hited me is very strange way to seek high-rated developers using yellow sources. I failed to find any other brand name looking for a people at the same web-site (or any other yellow site). Taking in account world crysis this strangness doubles. Modern market is filled with propositions. You need just place a call at your web-page (usual way for brands), and you have a lot of competitors all over the world. But they look for CHEAP resources, which is obviouse.

Cheap fish results in a cheap soup.

9. curious george

curious george Registered Member

Should be interesting to see where this leads...i like comodo's software but haven't tried their internet security suit...laziness...it consumes the best of us.

10. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I'm running it right now and I am pretty impressed with it. The av will only get better with the implementation of heuristics.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Ah well -- heur today, gone tomorrow. :cool:

I wonder if Comodo folks can even spell heuristics. Their AV is low-second-tier. By the time they get it into upper tier (if they ever do), AV programs will pretty much have been relegated to *old tech* status in the field of security.

12. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi Guys.

About the new GUI - There is a long term project going on for a brand spankin new GUI, And it's awesome! (Moderators saw a preview of the PLANS) - So you can probably expect a new GUI in version 4 (In a year or so). Heuristics to be added soon. :) Bug fixes coming soon, etc. The CIS team have already started the roadmap for CIS (Features), But it will be months for roadmap features to be in CIS.

Anyway just wanted to let you all know whats going on.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Ok for the GUI...to have some skins, can we reasonable hope in the next ? ;)

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No qualms from me of COMODO programs with the slight exception of BoClean which i'm confident will eventually reach the maturity i look for. It's not exactly there yet IMO although is useful.

The only reason i haven't settled on CIS yet is that i want to ensure some other HIPS have finally been finalized so-to-speak; by then i expect CIS to be well enough along to expect everything they been working to perfect with it.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.