Comodo Internet Security reviewed by PCMag

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333803,00.asp

It has been discussed here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1343140&postcount=202

But I think it,s better to be discussed in a sepaarte thread.

Overall seems a nice review and I hope it will help developers to improve the product. Only I can,t digest this portion well.

2. Gen

Gen Registered Member

I thought it was advertised as THE firewall that passes all leaktests, or the most at least. Weird.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I've seen some developers react very poorly to reviews written by Neil J. Rubenking. I've seen other developers who welcome the efforts put forth by this reviewer. It's all in the mindset of the developer whether or not they know how to accept criticism.

But I'm with you... I hope it helps.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

http://www.ukrjob.net/view/vacancy/713476/

It seems Comodo went short of resources and is looking for a cheap labor force. Reverse-engineering is definitely something related to security. I'd say this is a bad sign. The next step will be cutting off free version and releasing commercial version. The main questions are "when ?" and "how much ?".

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

How does a job ad in Ukraine logically lead to the company charging for their products?

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The ad *probably* doesn't mean anything except that they are hiring. Still in all, have a look at THIS. What's wrong with making a few bucks - or rupees or yen or pounds or... whatever? ;)

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

:D :D :D Underwhelmed, I don´t know whats wrong but something is wrong they don´t fix cfp 3.0.25 64bit bug, no updates for half year now.

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is great you don't see the logic. This gives me an advantage if you agree to take a bet :)

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Generally there is nothing wrong in trying to get some money in exchange to the efforts. But I remember something like "Free forever, NO CATCH" cries at this forum just a year ago, which appeared to be wrong looking from today's perspective :)

10. 3xist

3xist Guest

If your going to bash a thread, don't bother posting.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I enjoy his posts. I don't see any "bashing" -- just reasonable opinions & comments.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmmm.......

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Sorry to remind you, but here, at Wilders, you are neither global nor local moderator. This is why your demands are completly unexceptable !

And I'm really sorry to upset you, I have nothing against you personally, but I hate when some companies treat people like the idiots. More to say, CPF itself is good product (can't say the same about CIS), and I feel nothing but respect toward its devs, but their marketing strategy is UGLY (or in other words it is deceitful)

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Still, you've single handedly turned the thread off topic..
    Aigle politely tried to point that out.

15. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

OK. If the topic is to discuss the article then I'd say this article has too few tech info to discuss. Most of it is of a type "tastes differ". I expected more technical review from pcmag. For example "I ran a dozen such programs to check Comodo's reactions and was not impressed. The firewall itself didn't block any of them." If the author listed that "dozen" at least or better described what do they do it would be much more helpful, otherwise the only thing you can say is "hm".

Other example "Even when I chose to block all the actions detected by Defense+, over half of the leak tests penetrated Comodo's defenses." I hardly can believe it. It just seems the author is not experienced enough to run the tests properly.

Verdict: this article is a waste of time :)

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well here for a change i'll defend Comodo. At least its firewall part. Antivirus may be garbage for the time being, but the firewall component is far more capable than most of payable ones.

17. gery

gery Registered Member

That is true but smt is very annoying much more than some paid ones

18. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Hmm, how much of your precious time did it take to find one bad thing about comodo and post it in an unrelated thread. This thread is about the product and not the state of the company.

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Product state follows company state as a rule. Some people live just today, other people try to look to the future.

As for your first question, it's my commercial secret and none of your business :)

PS. And never forget -- Melih has you !

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  20. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Look at my signature.:D This world is infested with lies and illusions.

21. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

He has me?

22. fax

fax Registered Member

They are just looking for a malware analyst... is this bad?
    I would the say the contrary :)

Fax

23. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

A bit of logic.

For one I didn't see such propositions of other respactable vendors, at least in "yellow" resources. As a rule respactable vendors have a long line of claimants waiting to be interviewed.

For two this is strange time to look for. It would be logical to do it before the project started, not after. So most probaly there are some problems with the current dev team.

For three, I didn't say this is a bad thing to do, I just said this is a sign of either a poor management or financial problems or the both for those who knows how the modern high-tech IT labour market works.

24. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Seems to be improving. Still might be too confusing for beginners though.

25. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Im thinking, they just need virus researcher from that specific area of the world (who have "local market" insight)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.