COMODO Internet Security Named Best Free AV Security in Face-Off in CNET Poll

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brocke, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i'm just curious...
    do you use any of their (Comodo) product?

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I use CIS5 and really like it. I used to just use the Defense+ and Firewall components as I really didn't trust the AV part, but with the recent version I installed and tested it against downloadable malware from MDL. In total it amounted to about 15 exe's before I got bored- the AV portion caught all of them. Obviously a small (and I'm sure some will say meaningless) test, but it showed me that the AV is far from worthless as some say.

In the real world of computer use I really don't frequent sites where malware abound and I don't use torrents. As such I also really haven't seen many alerts.
    So as a low risk surfer a free Suite as good as Comodo is something that would be foolish to pass up. Can't really understand the bias against it, but do remember when it was très cool to bash anything by Symantec.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

some people may have had bad experiences with Comodo products.
    some people just don't like Melih and the way he does business.
    i'm one of them.

let's just say that their stuff will *never* get back on my machine ever again.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Couple of thoughts, and these are my own personal opinion, not that of a mod here.

1. Any one who has been here a while, should realize this type of Comodo post is going to draw fire. Why bother posting this for "informational" purposes. Those interested can follow the Comodo forums.

2. Even if the allegations of Comodo fans adding extra votes, isn't true, and the poll is perfectly valid, it is still meaningless. It doesn't matter how popular it is, what matters if it really does the job, and even more importantly will it work on my machine(s).

3. Looking at the thread on the Comodo forum, one gets the funny feeling, that maybe there is an over enthusiasm for voting. Note I said feeling, not evidence.

4. I've been asked to vote in these polls by several software authors and I rarely bother, as I just don't think it relevant.

Pete

5. sded

sded Registered Member

You actually get a better view of overenthusiasm at work in the thread https://forums.comodo.com/news-anno...-the-2011-readers-choice-awards-t69322.0.html where besides a little confessed cheating, one of the mods is so certain there is an obvious votebot at work that he goes public with the accusation and goes on record that it is not condoned by Comodo. And I agree, Pete; we don't need to see the Press Announcement for this one posted in Wilders either.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Average users do not seem to care a lot about security. Fair to say that Comodo is special, it triggers emotion. So I think that is a unique quality of Comodo. May be an item for another press release "Comodo the only security company which triggers emotion" :D

7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I dont know Melih nor have i used Cis to any extent other than installing it on a friends laptop,but whenever I visit comodo forums from links posted here and Read Meihs posts and the "followers" posts ,it just reminds me of a great salesman selling snakeoil to the converted.I just dont feel comfortable somehow ,with the almost begging of Melih to his "comodo children" to get his product to the top.Whether CIS is actually good or not is another matter ,that i cant comment on
    ellison

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Yep, one of the strongest in the world- greed... :D

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

If something is not detected by the cloud or regular detection D+ and the sandbox pop in to save the day. :)

10. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

No, not drama, just fact checking.

Thanks.

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Removed a fight provoking reply.

Thread closed before anyone provokes things further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.