COMODO Internet Security 8.0.332922.4281 BETA Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GakunGak, Sep 17, 2014.

1. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Reasons i won't touch this with a bargepole :)

AV Detection=mediocre
    File submission=borked
    Web filter=ineffective
    Viruscope=ineffective
    Signature Database=far too high
    DNS=temperemental

I won't even mention the possible malware vendors in the TVL.

2. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

For some it's unusable, for some it's the holy grail of security. Experiences differ...
    I'd say Comodo is pretty transparent when it comes to bugs, just because other vendors do not report how many bugs they fixed, does not mean they don't have it.
    Personally, I'd trust Comodo with all their bugs because they are putting up an effort to fix them, and they publicly acknowledge.

I will look into it this weekend.....

3. GakunGak

AV detection: What needs to be tested? Hint: first page. Still, a new AV engine is in the works for a later release. At this time, the only info we have is that it won't be in the first stable release...
    File submission: The issue exists....
    Web filter: no need for one unless the file is being run locally, which would be contained anyway. Still, a new PrivDog looks promising with what they have in mind....
    Viruscope: not yet mature, but getting there. They cannot put up all sorts of rules for program to follow and cause global blackout. That thing goes under brutal testing at the lab, under various conditions. "When it's ready"
    Signature database: With more than 50.000 malware variants created daily, kinda hard to keep that down. Why do you think major AV's go with the cloud? Even Norton, which downloads portion of database [full database was available in the recent versions, not sure about the last one]. I kinda like it I have offline protection when the Internet goes down....
    DNS: <a desire to have this improved intensifies>

4. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@GakunGak

All your points noted , don't get me wrong i was a very strong supporter of Versions 4 & 5.
    i wish to see them get back on track.
    i'll wait to see if improvements are forthcoming :)
    thanks.

As for PrivDog, no thank you :)

5. GakunGak

Not getting you wrong, all is OK.

I read somewhere that few people demanded "going back to things they were before", but then the argument was that malware evolve and they need to adapt to current/future threats...

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Bar none. The saddest part is that all the right security elements are right there in front of them on the table. Never seen a software company this confused on how to better their program.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Only thing I install and use in CIS is the HIPS, Defence Plus and that really works great for me. And the basic firewall function of it.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Coming from Comodo's brilliant minds what did you expect for free. :argh:

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Comodo always had the potential to be one of the best apps, but they always mess it up with moronic small problems that they never bother to fix (even though they always brag about fixing 300+ bugs, i just wonder which ones, do they coun't every mispelled word as 1 bug?). Instead they prefer to bitch over unimportant things like bug report formats and other idiotic nonsense even though you describe the issue in a way even a 2 year old would understand. But since it was not written to the letter of their crappy bug report format they pretty much ignore it.

And their attitude of "we are the best, Comodo rocks blablabla". I've come out of such mentality for avast! like 8 years ago. Maybe avast! team dislikes my attitude sometimes (when i'm neggative about something or i have a strong negative opinion about something), but i'd rather be negative sometimes to get things fixed than to praise everything to death and ignore issues just because i'm a fan of the app. In the long run doing so only harms the quality and i'm all for quality.
    The sooner Comodo fanboys realize that, the better. So far, it's not really looking that good for them...

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've noticed that it isn't welcome to post any problems with Comodo on their forum. I was a fan and supporter of Comodo, especially their firewall, but that stopped when you post and suggest something or have a problem. Instead of helping, they attack. That isn't how you get and keep customers. I now run McAfee IS. It's free through my internet provider and although not my favorite, does well enough in conjunction with MBAM which I run weekly. Eventually I'll find something free, strong and good and switch.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Same here. Retried twice and after i got banned the second time i said to myself, f... them. It was all in interest to fix broken app but all they cpuld do was attack me. Sorry, my nerves and time only go as far. There are better "alternatives" who also offer free and they actually listen to you. avast! is one good example. AVIRA seems reasonably well supported as well with Stefan floating around frequently etc...

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I really wonder what they mean with this. Is it just fancy talk or can it really operate as hypervisor, and what kind of advantages does this bring? :)

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, you need CPU and OS support for it to work. And this means the executed resources are strictly separated and controlled in its own memory space. In this case, unknown apps running virtualized. They can't bypass anything, because they "live" in 100% isolated environment.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

In the same way running a virtualized OS within WmWare or Virtualbox provides near perfect isolation (with Rejzor's proviso),this should,in theory make CIS almost immune from bypasses.The main concern would be stability to my mind,with the potential for BSODs.

15. Rasheed187

@ RejZoR and andyman35

Sounds good in theory, cool to see that both Avast and Comodo are trying to come up with something new. If you are running as hypervisor, you should also have more privileges than malware (that runs in user and kernel mode) so in theory you would also be able to stop and detect advanced rootkit attacks, see link. :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hypersight-rootkit-detector-vips.201387/

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's the idea behind it. Better isolation and more control. Normal sandboxes also don't allow kernel monitoring. Hypervisor does as far as i know.

17. GakunGak

I am sorry I did not report to Comodo what I promised, I fell sick and am slowly recovering, I hope this saturday morning I should be able to get ready a VMWare for Comodo and do my thing.... I did not forget file submission bug.

18. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

GakunGak sorry to hear you got sick! I hope you get better soon! Comodo is working fine on mine. Its not the lightest nor the heaviest I've experienced.

19. GakunGak

Yeah it was bad. Anyway, I see over there one more report of submission bug (cannot find path to file) so all I gotta do is be like super kind to them and stuff and bore them to death with it, which in turn they will get super mad, shut the whole place down until that bug is not squashed :)

20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I hope you'll be OK soon. It's great you remember you submission bug promise. I remember it too. :)

I'm afraid you will get born to death first. :D

21. GakunGak

I always keep my promise, unless I forget about it. A simple nudge and I will make it happen.
    I feel OK, saturday should be the day I fire up VMWare, Windows 7 64bit, CIS 8 and let slip the hogs of war. Or is it dogs?
    I really want to put it under maximum strain and to break as many things as possible, and let it all out in a fine print in a "bug report template".
    Should be interesting...

22. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

GakunGak, :thumb:

23. Rasheed187

Yes, and in theory you would even be able to replace (or protect) PatchGuard. Even though PatchGuard is quite robust, it would still be cool if HIPS (running as hypervisor) could offer even more powerful protection against advanced kernel-based rootkits, like Uroburos for example. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uroburos

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  24. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

GG- As you will be testing Comodo this weekend, please check your PM.

25. GakunGak

Salutations, cruelsister. Very much thanks for your contribution, please, if you have more of this great stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks, certainly it would make my job much easier.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.