COMODO Internet Security 5.x Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

im just wondering why does comodo have two full scans a week? and not like a quick scan weekly and a full scan like every 3 months?

or am i missing something

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

It is set on default :cautious:
    u gotta change it

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

does comodo work well under limited accounts? any issues?

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

On my comps Comodo works fine under standard user account, no issues. Win-7 32-bit.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

No issues at all under LUA on XP Pro SP3.

6. Circe

Circe Registered Member

No issues w/ windows 7 - 64 bit + LUA.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1 agreed.:thumb: :thumb:

8. The Red Moon

I think if you use the full out block function you may as well not even bothering downloading any software.
    Its just a pity there is not some way to check a potential download against the comodo whitelist.:thumb:

9. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

From what I can tell ot's daily or weekly scans, no way to do monthly scans.

10. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

If the file is already in the whitelist then it will not be blocked, even if you selected that setting. Only unknown or malicious files will be blocked.

11. The Red Moon

hmm has the problem with the firewall and windows 7 been resolved yet.
    I asked this question on the comodo forum and the topic was locked,
    apparently the comodo firewall has problems dealing with outbound connections in windows 7.
    Has the problem been resolved yet?:isay:

12. The Red Moon

well the comodo forum would seem to dictate differently to this.
    As malware seems to be getting whitelisted which makes the comodo whitelisting somewhat iffy.:isay:

13. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

How long have comodo knew about these problems?

14. ZeroDay

How do you know for sure that malware is getting white listed? Thanks in advance.

15. The Red Moon

The avast forum shall explain all.
    One of the avast team members has stated that comodo has no outbound control in windows 7,:thumb:

16. The Red Moon

Check out the comodo forum and see for yourself.
    There are some interesting blogs as well about ssl certificates being issued to malware authors.
    Just google it and you will see for yourself.:isay:

17. ZeroDay

Thanks for this info I'll look into it as I currently have CIS installed. Looks like going back to Oa.

18. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

The main discussion about this can be found here and it is not locked.

I apologize if your post was inadvertently locked. It's likely that this happened because other people are also commenting on it and it is best to keep the discussion in one place. If you can point me to the post I can look into it. Also, if you run into problems such as this please in the future please send me a PM.

I believe you are referring to this topic. Yes, I do agree that there is a problem with whitelisted malware. In fact, I have proposed a fix here, which I hope Comodo will implement in the future.

However, the lead developer of CIS has commented on this, sorry I don't remember where, and said that these programs were almost entirely from companies that had just crossed the line into making adware type programs. These were not serious malware. Also, as far as I am aware Comodo has continued to tighten down the requirements for a certificate to get into the Trusted Vendors List.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

19. The Red Moon

woah i didnt imply the program was bad by any means.ive used it myself and it is wonderful.
    its just things ive read about thats all.

20. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

As far as these SSL Certificates go, this has happened to all CA's. Also, as far as I am aware, Comodo has been fast to retract these.

If you're talking about the one from 2009, that was actually discussed on the Comodo forum here. Please pay special care to Melih's explanation. This sort of thing can happen, and does, to all CA's.

Also, to be fully prepared to navigate the digial world, remember this. Not all SSL certificates were created equal. Sadly, the way it works is that some types of SSL certificates are not designed to fully validate the identity of the party purchasing them. Of course there are other checks, but the assurance is still not very high. For more information please read this.

On another note, this is a very old issue and I don't see any point in bringing it up in a topic devoted to CIS.

That said, if anyone does have new evidence that Comodo is actively providing certificates to malicious domains I would love to see it. As far as I know these incidnents are isolated and far between, but if something is going on that I don't know about I'd really like to know.

Thanks.

21. The Red Moon

a comment by a avast team member.
    Hi guys,

this is really very interesting. Matousec's leak tests show 100% for COMODO, yet, apparently the firewall is not able to catch a Web proxy which our WebShield is.

I am not saying that Comodo is a bad firewall, on contrary, it is highly regarded, but maybe this might be a contribution to the relevancy of the leak tests -- as I see it from my brief glimpse on this issue, any program acting in the same way as avast does can overcome the firewall rules. Somewhat surprising for a product with such high leak-test "certification".

Concerning the fix from avast! side: I doubt we would fix this, making changes in the code, so that other firewalls block our traffic is exactly the opposite what we try to do.

Nice comment on the Comodo forum from the moderator though:

Re: Comodo Does not work with Avast 7!
    « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
    This seems like an issue with Avast.
    They changed the code. They will have to fix it.

I only hope that malware and unwanted programs follow the same guideline.

Lukas.

self explanatory.:thumb:

22. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

Here is a quote from the lead developer of CIS about this:
    https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corn...mer-preview-t83044.0.html;msg592815#msg592815

Also, I'd like to point out that moderators on the Comodo forum, such as myself, are not employees of Comodo and as such are privileged to our own opinions. I know that I have personally said things that oppose the official stance of Comodo on some occasions. Thus, judging Comodo based on the words of a volunteer moderator is a little bit strange.

BTW, perhaps this discussion should be split from the rest of the topic.

23. The Red Moon

thanks chiron for the link.
    Im not on a crusade to discredit comodo by any means as ive used it before and it is wonderful.
    The avast issue is what made me uninstall.
    the comodo firewall is probably the best out there and little things like this can be off putting.
    I hope it gets sorted very soon.
    regards.:thumb:

24. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

Agreed.

I'm also unhappy about the incompatibility and I really hope it will be fixed with the next version of CIS, as pointed out by egemen.

Until them we'll just have to deal with the fact that these two great security programs should not be used side-by-side, at least unless you're willing to disable the web-shield for Avast.

It's just an incompatibility, and one that will hopefully be fixed with the next version.

Thanks.

25. The Red Moon

Is the comodo anti virus any good?
    I was considering installing the complete internet security package.
    This would be a easy workaround perhaps.
    Comodo is very light and so would it be worth just using the full suite?
    Regards.:blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.