Comodo Internet Security 2013?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ahinterl, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yep.........

2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Yes, CIS 6 is excellent, AV is quite good & one of the best now (you can test yourself or check tests on various forums, etc...)

I myself never recommended CIS to anyone but with CIS 6 this has changed. CIS 6 is the first ever CIS version that I find easy, effective & suitable for any/all users.

I have installed CIS on my family's laptop (4 average users use this laptop). I installed CIS 6 the day it was released after testing it on my test system. Till date no probs on the family's laptop. No infections, programs used by them were either in TVL or whitelisted in cloud & no probs.

Expert users know what to do so they can run any security software.

Average users are different, programs they run are mostly common & popular, activities they do on the system are simple like email, chat, etc...

And CIS 6 is excellent for average users. And I dont know why people still mention popups. There are simply no popups with CIS 6 at all with the default settings & this is the best setting for average users. Only 1 type of popup is there with default settings & that is Unlimited Rights Access popup for Unknown programs & this can be answered with default i.e sandbox & the average users will get this popup very very few to none coz as I mentioned above programs mostly used by average users are either in TVL or cloud whitelist & they keep improving TVL & cloud whitelist. And with the improvement in the security architecture of sandbox in CIS 6 most of the programs now run fine in sandbox, specially the type of programs average users run on their systems.

With experience (CIS 6 on my family's & friends system - Average Users systems) I find CIS 6 with default settings easy, effective, suitable & recommended for average users.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Agree with you naren...I am happy to see CIS now automatically doesnt allow unknown apps to touch vital OS areas and it has reduced the number of pop-ups.In my opinion,CIS and avast are my fav* right now and I guess your's is the same :D

I am no avast fanboy as some people on other forums think,but actually I tend to like products when I began to use them and if they really stand up to my needs and expectations I always like using and promoting them as you see I am doing the same with CIS ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. khanyash

Yes, CIS & Avast are my favs. They are free, effective & fully functional.

I do wish Avast offer basic firewall with free version. With different firewall there is always a chance of compatibility issues with any update/upgrade so I have to recommend Avast with windows firewall to average users. CIS is a suite so no probs.

5. avman1995

Actually Looking at both the products right now,I am pretty confused what to use on my own system...avast or CIS..as avast has evo-gen and CIS has HIPS/Sandbox...:argh:

I tend to like both equally but cant make a decision at current point ;)

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I find Avast is more "set and forget". With CIS it's "tinker, tinker, tinker", and that's cool if you're into tinkering :)

7. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Many COMODO drawbacks are highlighted here and I agree with the most of them. Nevertheless I have CIS on all my PCs as the main security app and feel secure :cool:, though not 100% comfortable :).

8. khanyash

Now with CIS 6 with no popups & other improvements I prefer CIS 6 over Avast 8. CIS is a suite so no need to look for a compatible firewall too.

Both are effective & improved a lot. Both are my favs so I keep testing them with zeroday malware from time to time. CIS 6 has always manage to keep the system safe while Avast 8 missed few malware. Today too I tested Avast 8 only & it performed well but missed a ransomware that blocked the system from booting i.e the system wasn't able to reach the desktop as ransomware screen appeared & I couldn't kill it.

But as you know tests are different from real world scenario & for real world Avast 8 is a very effective product. Evo-Gen, FileRep malware detection & FileReputation system has improved Avast a lot. Waiting for upcoming Dyna & other improvements to be implemented.

9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@Naren

For best results Is this default settings o_O
    Thanks in advance.

10. khanyash

I always test CIS with default settings & Avast with PUP enabled.

11. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Tests have also shown Comodo BB to be ineffective at default settings against Ransomware. Now I have never tested it but I run sandbox at "Untrusted" I would like to see what a piece of ransomware could do in a sandbox set to untrusted...any takers? :D

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The one that is signed by a certificate that is listed on TVL...

13. siketa

siketa Registered Member

You can disable TVL.

14. a256886572008

a256886572008 Registered Member

http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t92017.0.html
    Reply #4

:blink:

15. avman1995

You tested avast with that ransom a few days ago when avast! evo-gen and backend stuff slowed down and thats why ransomware bypassed as explained here:
    http://forums.comodo.com/other-security-products/spywars-avast-8-malware-tests-t92360.75.html

I guess spywar's test also has some ransomware but his tests have always been in the days when evo-gen was on track. :)

Its pretty obvious that CIS keeps the system much safer because of the way the sandbox/BB/HIPS are designed and its obvious something or the other will always get past avast as it is a sig based AV with cloud and backend stuff. ;)

But things will change for the good when dyna engine and MDE come online.

16. khanyash

It was a new test.

And as I mentioned, for real world scenario Avast is very effective.

Waiting for Dyna & MDE to be implemented.

17. khanyash

Some rare ransomware could bypass autosandbox on default level i.e partial limited. Those rare malware, very very few chances to none in real world scenario, its my opinion.

And upcoming Valkyrie & True BB will help in combating those rare malware.

And still I would say default settings are the best, especially for average users, for the above mentioned reason & problemless working & offcoz easy & effective protection.

18. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Yes CIS definitely needs Valkyrie instead of CIMA (faster, better, less FP than CIMA).

19. avman1995

Naren,I seriously dont understand how you get malware past avast like that...are you disabling any avast components while doing the link testing to get the malware past as you describe to be disabling the network shield sometimes in the past in your test.It is really hard for me to believe to get ransomware past evo-gen as spywar also has ransom malware in his tests and they are all blocked by evo-gen.If you mind sharing the link to download the ransomware if it comes via your link test or the malware file itself via PM. :)

How did you get the ransom from?? via the link test or in the malware pack?

Thanks!

20. khanyash

Previously I use to test Avast both with links & downloaded packs. But
    people use to say testing with downloaded packs is not the real world scenario as not any/all types of malware come through USB, etc... & most of the malware come through web.

So I now test Avast mostly with links with all its shields & PUP enabled. Whenever I get FileRep popup for any malware i.e the popup which mentions something like Avast community not much info & potentially dangerous I choose default action i.e abort connection. For autosandbox which analyze & doesn't find anything malicious I choose continue execution as I think average users will do so.

The test I mentioned in my previous post was links test.

I try links from malwaredomain, cleanmx, malc0de & sometimes few other sites mentioned on malwaretips. I try malware links of the current date only i.e if I test on Mar 19 I try the links of Mar 19 only.

I find Spywar's samples fresh & good ones so also tests samples submitted by him on malwaretips. I have requested him to submit 2 packs on malwaretips, 1 for ransomware & 1 for fake AVs. I want to test CIS 6 & Avast 8 with ransomware & fake AVs only. Lets see if he have time & samples.

I use to save links & packs previously once a user here asked me that I should save them if anyone asks for them but no one asks so I dont save them.

From now on I will mention if it was links or downloaded packs test & will keep the links & packs for 2-3 days so that if anyone needs them I can give them.

21. avman1995

You should also use:
    minotauranalysis.com/malwarelist.aspx

its another great place to find bad stuff :D

22. khanyash

Any other good sites but not the sites that require login.

The site you have mentioned mostly contains the links from cleanmx which I already know & test.

23. avman1995

scumware.org is another great place to find malware from different countries though as I am a avast! malware hunter I always tend to like getting undetected samples from minotour and malc0de :)

24. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Thanks for testing Avast! naren looking forward to see "Dyna-Gen" going to production.

25. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Going back to Comodo...
    On Chiron's configuration guide for the latest version, he recommends to disable HIPS. I remember he mentions something about Comodo being designed in a way that you don't really need HIPS to be well protected.
    Can somebody ellaborate on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.