Comodo Help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rico, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I'm using CPF ver. 2.4.18.184 & NetGear wired RP614 v. 2 Router.

Within CPF I've done:

'Define a new trusted network', 'Scan for known applications' & 'Define a new trusted application.

For the trusted application, I followed the Path to LinkScanner Pro & chose all or *.exe for Linkscanner as trusted apps. Looking at CPF's application monitor all of the .exe's for Link now show up there, with 'allow.'

LinkScanner - when using a search engine, will only give "?" for all items on the search page, & takes along time 3 - 5 minutes. Note this aspect of LinkScanner is like 'SiteAdvisor'.

Turn CPF off - LinkScanner gives its opinion on the searched page in 15 seconds.

Also TrendProtect also SiteAdvisor like fails to work with CPF on.

Any Ideas?

Next. I closed FF run ccleaner & time how long it takes FF to load my home page with CPF ON - 40 seconds

Close FF > cclean > FF loads home page 13 seconds.

1. Comodo forum seems no help
    2. Tech support rather sporadic, long time btwn replies, & overall not real helpful

Note LinkScanner say they have no problem with CPF!

3. I'm not sure whether I want to go through the hassle, of a reinstall of CPF.
    + it's millions & constant pop-ups (so much for there scan fro known apps)

4. An alternative (if the above problems not resolved) FW's
    a) won't be defeated easily
    b) not a mem hog, I don't need bells & whistles in a FW

5. Question is it normal for FW to slowdown browser loading & web surfing,
    FF loads 40 sec CPF on, 13 seconds off.

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Try disabling ABA to try and isolate the issue.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Pedro,

Your a genius! After figuring out what 'ABA' is I unticked each box until I found the guilty party. Causing all of Rico's problems is/was.

CPF's (ABA) "Monitor DLL Injection"

Note of the six choices to tick only this one causes slow down!

Okay! Still with Comodo off everything is much quicker, page loading, surfing, searches. Should a FW slow you down, or is this a Comodo issue?

Thanks Big Time & Take Care
    Rico

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

After disabling ABA (Application Behavior Analysis sorry for not saying it) i was going to suggest disabling one at a time later. You isolated the issue properly and did that already :thumb:
    A firewall would always bring some slowdown (i think), but this should not be perceptible. Is it much slower? Is it FF, IE, Opera?
    Again, my only rationalization of the problem would be disabling some more and try to find the culprit, if possible. 1st disable LinkScanner, and all other programs, then enable them one by one and check as you go, then features inside Comodo (in ABA).
    If it's solely Comodo, and you find the problem, then try to balance the pros/cons of not having that feature. 2.4 is discontinued, 3 could take a while, and hopefully it has the option of HIPS /no HIPS.
    But that's all you and your preferences :)

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Pedro,

With CPF off my homepage using FF finishes loading in < 15 sec.

Wirh CPF on... ...40 sec.

I'm using & pretty happy with: NOD32, Prevx2 & the newcomer LinkScanner , so CPF3 w/hips I'm not interested in, likewise Outpost with AS. I guess I'll bug CPF support.

Any suggestion/alternatives for 'outbound protection' that's hard to kill? I realize that many people say a software FW is not necssary anymore.

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

6. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Rico,

Give Online Armor FW a try you won't get none of that stuff.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Ex-Azusan,

Thanks, I'll check it out! Go Indians:thumb:

Take Care
    Rico

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hard to compare. Comodo has SPI and UDP pseudo SPI. And other functions OA free has not. It's up to you.
    If the problem is in ABA, with your setup (Prevx1) you probably don't need it anyway.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Pedro & Rilla,

I read about the FW at tall-emu, & don't want a suite.

Yes the problem is definitely CPF's 'monitor dll injection' found another post where a user disabled it also to stop high mem usage.

CPF still significantly slow surfing. Complained to CPF tech support & the have forwarded all my missives to the developers. I think this means its in the trash.

I've looked at & am toying with the idea of Sunbelt 'free' Kerio, the paid $15.00 has Hips I do not need, along with other useless (to me) features.

Also took a look at Outpost, but way too many bells & whistles.

Perhaps CPF will get back to me & breathe, a little speed into CPF

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.