Comodo has some problems??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CaptSaltyJack, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Registered Member

Comodo popped up asking if I wanted to allow Outlook to connect out to the net. I said block but I made sure the "remember this option" was not checked. Oddly enough.. Outlook can now NEVER check email, and it's not listed on the "Application Monitor" on the security section. So.. how do I fix this??

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thats because you asked it to block it! you need to go into applications and check allow.:p Go to settings and click on search for applications, it will find Outlook then you can unblock it

3. CaptSaltyJack

No no.. really. It's messed up. I've tried everything. I told it to explicitly allow Outlook to do ANYthing. Still can't check email. I've removed Outlook from the application list, hopeing it will ask me again. Nope.. still can't check email. It's not shown ANYwhere as being blocked. This smells like a bug....

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Then I would uninstall it completely, and reinstall it again to see if that helps

5. CaptSaltyJack

Ugh. I'll be reporting this as a bug then, to Comodo.

If you deny an application but you checkmark "remember this", at least it shows up in the application list & you can unblock it later. But if you DON'T click "remember this"... it really does always remember it, AND it doesn't show up on the list, so you're screwed.

Actually, let me try a reboot.. maybe that will work.

6. CaptSaltyJack

Bingo. Reboot worked. But now, oddly enough... Outlook is still not on the allow list.. yet it allows it to check email anyway. I figured it would've prompted me. Weird.

7. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

There is some option in Comodo that automatically allows certified applications if enabled. Maybe that is why Outlook is allowed. Sorry, it's been a while since I used Comodo, so I don't know exactly where it is.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

WhenI first installed Comodo I checked a radio button so that Comodo would scan my pc and OK all my apps. Then it went into learn mode. I'm sure Outlook is listed as a safe app.

9. Antifreeze

Antifreeze Registered Member

> I'm sure Outlook is listed as a safe app

Huh? I was under the impression that most virus/worm epidemics utilise security holes in Outlook? Surely it has to be one of the most unsafe products out there?

10. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

You could try going to security->advanced->alert frequency .Move it to "very high".

Hope it will o the trick.

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    If you have some ancient version that you never patched...yeah, but if you follow basic best practices, and have applied windows and just as importantly...office updates (easily combined now under Microsoft Update)...you're in much better shape.

When a firewall auto scans and auto-ads what it considers "safe apps"..means more legitimate apps...such as PcAnywhere, Outlook, your web browser, instant messengers, well known legitimate programs. As opposed to something more crafty like some w32.backdoor.

12. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Yes, but why bother when there is Thunderbird?? Both T-bird and Firefox have served me well for more than two years. Who needs the hassles ??

//

13. CaptSaltyJack

I'm thinking I might actually uninstall Comodo Firewall. I don't think I need that kind of hardcore security. 99% of the apps that I run that connect to the net, I WANT them to connect. And no malware is going to connect to the net because it doesn't get to my machine in the first place (I have NOD32 and Spyware Terminator running). So I don't see much use for Comodo..

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

In that case disable ABA & CC and you will get alerts only for aplications. Nice and clean. ;)
    ABA and CC cover outbound protection, if mallware infects PC and tries to call home and etc.
    Because I had many problems with blocked apps due to those 2 features, so I do not use them.

15. CaptSaltyJack

Hm.. if ABA and CC (Application Behavior Analysis, and Component Control?) cover outbound protection.. and I already have all inbound connections allowed (I have a hardware firewall).. might as well just uninstall it :)

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

That is right, outbound is good only if you need it, eg to block WMP, Windows and etc.

17. Antifreeze

Antifreeze Registered Member

> Yes, but why bother when there is Thunderbird??

I'm sorry, but I disagree 100% This type of baseless comment is how Thunderbird has got so popular. Do you know they censor criticism in the mozillazine forum? Thunderbird has just got undeserved success on the back of Firefox's strengths.

Thunderbird is a terrible piece of software which barely manages to perform basic email functions; if you trust it with your email archive, sooner or later you will lose them forever. And the answer is not to 'compact your inbox', which is about the only advice the mods give on the forums for every single problem encountered. The real answer is just not to use this utter garbage in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.