Comodo Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by h4mza, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h4mza

h4mza Registered Member

I need the basic set up for Comodo since i have never used it before and its really annoying whenever i do something

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you only want basic firewall functionality and aren't bothered about the ability of the firewall to pass leak tests, when prompted to choose a firewall security level during the initial installation, you could select the first option: "Firewall Only - This option is for people who only need enterprise strength network firewall", which will permanently disable Defense+. (If you've already installed the firewall with D+ enabled, D+ can be permanently disabled via the D+ settings screen.)

With D+ disabled, the only alerts you would get are firewall alerts when an unknown application tries to make an outbound Internet connection. If you do require the firewall to pass leak tests though, D+ needs to be enabled in which you case you will have to be prepared to respond to HIPS alerts.

Another option is to enable D+ but uncheck most or all of the D+ Monitoring Settings while leaving Image Execution Control enabled. That would substantially reduce the number of HIPS alerts while still retaining the benefit of the default deny protection offered by the anti-execute feature.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Anyone else having issues when running portable appso_O ?

I keep getting popups from both the firewall and D+ everytime i run a portable application. I'll set rules, even run it in learning mode and still get the same popups time and time again. Not regular installed programs - only portable apps.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Never had this issue.

6. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Rarely,with 2 app.Put them in computer security policy as Installers or Updaters and the problems are gone.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Ok, i'll have a look at that - thanks!

8. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I feel your pain for what you're going through as a matter of fact I was having the same problem over and over. Needless to say that I got rid of Comodo and suddenly life is very tranquil. I would suggest you to do the same.

Thanks.

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Me neither and I have a large number of portable apps.:doubt:

The OP didn't say which version of Comodo they're using.Pop-ups are few and far between for me here running v5.

10. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

i think a complete suite is always better than dozens of separated programs scanning and consuming system resources....

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I disagree. I like a number of different components to form layers of protection. For instance, I have Avast antivirus, Prevx and sometimes a HIPS program running (Mamutu, Comodo D+ or OA). I think the protection is better when there are different programs from different companies involved. That way in case something gets by Avast it still has to get by Prevx, then the HIPS and so on. I think the odds are better that one of these several different companies can detect malware, especially zero day, than a single company with a suite. Plus the set up is still very light. Just my opinion.

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I ran the updater and the updater said "up-to-date" :D Version #4.1.150349.920

Anyways, after more messin around, the issue seems to be not portable apps but portable apps residing in a truecrypt container. It just happened again.

After i open the Bat Cave and give my email client some fresh air, despite previously making rules, even running in training mode, it doesn't matter - i get a popup from D+ and the firewall. Every single time the client and truecrypt have been closed down and then re-opened again.

So it must have something to do with truecrypt.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I definitely agree. I already said this many times. The point is not the security of a producer than another, but, as acr1965 says, that only softwares diversification make a real multilayer level.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You might want to give version 5 a try,it's due out today.I've found that in general pop-ups are much reduced with this one.

For example I use Symantec SVA,previously I'd get a ton of pop-ups whenever a virtualised app. connected online.No matter how many times I ticked 'remember the answer' they'd keep on generating faster than I could answer the prompts.Using v5 i now just get the 1 initial pop-up then blissful silence. :D

15. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

It's tied in with how CIS treats applications launched off removable or dynamic media. It's line of thinking is that a removable device ciould have been used on a compromised system outside of its control, so it will always deem apps run off a removable media as untrusted. You can make as many rules as you want, but it will not remember them.

There have been one or two reports on the Comdo forums about similar events with apps launched from a TrueCrypt container.

To test, move a portable app from a removable drive to a fixed device and try running it and remembering the rules. Then do the same, if possible, for an application in the TrueCrypt container.

CT :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.