comodo firewall pro vs online armor free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ahmed12, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

So the leak test at pcflank is a scam?

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

WTF are you talking about... I have not switched firewalls on my main system sence ZA 6 something..

I have tested OA, Comodo, Outpost, Sygate along with a few others on a Test system. to see how the play with some of the software I run. other then that I have never switched My main firewall out.

And sorry I don't use OA... have no idea what your smoking. as for the leaktest. I'm saying there flawed. point of a leaktest is to make sure something don't get out of your computer and onto the web or any other source. The way leaktests are executed can leave flaws in the testing.. as for like ZA which the leaktest says failed when ZA actually pops a box and asks if you want this program to send out even if you click NO and "PASS" the leaktest. the program still says you failed even tho nothing left the system. because the program executed its more of a test for a behavior blocker then for a firewall. AKA HIPS.

Also I said nothing against Comodo in my last post. take your fanboy post elsewhere.

EDIT.
    Kyle you asked for a link on some of this.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=212594

Oh and another

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=217148

Want more do a forum search there is a lot more posts on this issue. and yes both comodo and OA can pass them along with many others.

No no no.. getting me all wrong. I'm saying there flawed in the way they test. not the test it self flawed. please read above about what I mean. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Members.

As posted quite politely By the Admin:-
    If the thread degrades into personal arguments/attacks as it appears to be starting to, then I will have no problem with closing this thread.

- Stem

4. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Thank you for the reply Fajo, How ever those threads only explain the obvious of the outbound protection tests found on Matousec. Where are the Test results for inbound protection?

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Those are what I was talking about.. I said I would like to see Attack tests. that show Inbound. what it can stop or what it can prevent..

I never said I had the tests just wanted to see them.

In all Honesty OA and Comodo should do well in those. but those would mean more to me in choosing a product then leaktests.

The OP ASKED
    so I was talking about the Matousec tests. :D

6. Kyle1420

Well in future Fajo, I don't think it's fair to attack any program that you do not have something to prove that is is bad or weak in certain areas.

7. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Fajo, If you haven't tried the latest version of CFP, you're not doing anyone a favor by criticizing it.

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Last one that I trialed on the test system was 3.0 so unless they have upgraded sense then. it should still be the same. :rolleyes:

The OP asked for people to post about what they thought of the 2 firewalls. I have done that. if you have something you want to add then by all means please do. but this was my experience with the Comodo and OA.

9. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I can't find the change log but it's gone through quite a few revisions since 3.0 first came out. Latest is 3.0.25.378

10. Kyle1420

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

12. Kyle1420

Fajo, not trying to "Convert" you, But if you want to give comodo another try - the forums are very active and you will usually get a reply within the hour for help or support.

I must admit, When I first used comodo I thought.. "Oh god.. look at all these pop-ups..", "Looks too much for me.." I later on installed it with the attitude, "I will give it a fair go and ask for help in the area's I needed". After a short while when you understand what to do it's really simple, Like riding a bike. I don't even use an anti virus now with it, that's how confident I am with comodo.

edit:: typos

13. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey Fajo & Kyle,

Could you guys drop this argument for Christ's sake ?
    It's leading this thread nowhere.
    Nick ADSL and Stem warned that this thread would be closed if you guys keep up on this futile discussion.

The thing we are looking at here is whether OA FREE or Comodo FREE is best firewall to be used by the OP.
    He's basing his assumptions on Matousec's so called “leak tests” (which I don't care much about).

I strongly believe that a firewall is only a piece of software bound to protect your computer from EXTERNAL attacks (e.g. : hackers trying to break in to your computer). That's all I care about and I think firewalls should be tested on how well they protect what it's inside their perimeter. They are like watchdogs that are on the lookout for strangers who try to get in to your house and do bad things.

Once the bad guys are in the house, why do you need a dog for ? (e.g.: HIPS “leak tests”).

Carlos

14. Kyle1420

Hello Zyrtec, I believe that I was more so defending wrong accusations towards comodo, not so much attacking Fajo.

Anyway answer to your question;
    Once the bad guys are in the house, why do you need a dog for ? (e.g.: HIPS “leak tests”).

That's because nothing is 100% when it comes to security. So what you might think is a safe program may not be and that's why HIPS are a good addition to an antivirus. Comodo Is taking a layered approach, If the "Bad guys" Are in the house you can prevent this by not allowing the program to run VIA hips. If you believe it to be safe (When it's not) The AV will detect it. And if the AV doesn't detect it, Restore to the previous state similar to sand boxing.

Prevention, | Detection,| Cure
    HIPS\Firewall |Antivirus, |Backup - like sandboxing or a full disk shield.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  15. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I'm not going to argue the fact here that what is better because to me they are both very good FW's and both do the job. But today if I had the choice to choose one it would be Online Armour from Tall Emu. I'm currently using the Beta version on my Vista Ultimate laptop and will have to say its one of the best FW's I've ever used plus quite user friendly.

16. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Thanks for posting this procedure. It solved a problem I was having with the OA's turing on and off of the windows xp FW.

17. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi and welcome 2bad.

A good place to start are eagle's posts about rootkits bypassing CFP because of bugs.

Cheers

18. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Although, I'm not user of OnlineArmor FREE 2.1.0.131, I did test it on my spare machine running Win XP home SP-3 and my ONLY gripe was that it does NOT protect your computer when Windows is booting. However, it starts right after you get the Windows prompt to type in your Windows password to log in to Windows XP.

That feature is reserved ONLY for the PAID version of OA.

Because Comodo firewall does NOT have a paid counterpart it includes ALL the goodies a user might need or want.
    OA, on the contrary is very crippled and lacks of a lot of things like for example: when you try to connect to a wireless hotspot with no encryption (WPA, WPA2, WEP, etc.) OA does not alert you that your trying to connect to an unprotected wireless access point which is bad.

I asked that question to Mr. Escalader some time ago, but he did not respond it, so I downloaded the firewall and tested it myself (I'm a regular user of ZAP, though) and it didn't offer that feature.

Bottom line, I think that between Online Armor FREE and Comodo Firewall FREE, Comodo is better even when I don't use it. I based my presumtion in the fact that COMODO doens't have a PAID version of their firewall where they can include all the goodies at expense of the FREE version and OA has a paid version that is the one they badly WANT to sale.

After a lot of complaints by Scot's Newsletter is now (in the BETA version of OA FREE) when they FINALLY included auto-update feature on that version).

That's just my 2¢...

Carlos

19. Escalader

Carlos:

On the unanswered post you refer to could you please provide the link to it? If it exists I'll look at it again. It may have falled through the cracks.:doubt:

Thanks

FWIW, I don't participate in product X vs product Y threads, but I will read your question

20. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey Escalader,

Regarding the post I wrote, nevermind, I already tested OA (free version) and found out the answer by myself.

Just like you, I don't like to participate in product A vs. product B threads either because I know it's a very, very sensitive subject in these forums. Posts or entired threads get locked or deleted,because of that, but because the OP wanted to know the differences between OA free and Comodo free, I wnated to add some knowledge I've gathered by testing OA free.

I pointed out that Comodo doesn't have a paid counterpart and for that reason they include all the features on their FW.

However, I'm a user of ZAP firewall and compared to ZA free, the ZA free has the OS protection at boot and an auto-update feature that lacks in the OA free but that are included on the paid version.

For that matter I think that at least they should include these TWO things on the free version of OA since that will not bring it to the OA payware level but will offer some protection to the user.

Regards,

Carlos

21. Julian

Julian Registered Member

If Comodo then 3.5 beta.
    3.0 has a really horrible bug that in some situations it does allow actions although you choose to block.
    Beta 3.5 of CIS is running very well, it also doesn't have the driver loading bug subset mentioned.

22. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Very well observed! I don´t know why Comodo does not fix the bug it is now present for already three months. Especially the crash of cpf.exe in 64 bit version if you want to get more informations when something pops up.

23. Escalader

Okay Carlos take care!

24. 3xist

3xist Guest

There is alot of bug fixes for Defense+ & Firewall in CIS too from v3.0.25.378.

If you find any bugs... Please send feedback if possible. :)

& Beta 2 is out for CIS. :)

What is new in this version?
    --------------------------------------

NEW! Quarantine button is added to Realtime alerts and manual scanning results window
    NEW! Default remove behavior is changed to default quarantine
    FIXED! Memory leak causing CIS to consume high memory while scanning
    FIXED! CIS might freeze the computer while virus database is being updated
    FIXED! Exclusions do not work
    FIXED! CIS crashes reported by the users
    FIXED! Window Security Center recognizes CIS after uninstallation

there are many small fixes that we have not included here.

25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If you have no idea what kind of network you are connecting to in the first place you honestly should not be using Hotspot's to begin with. :cautious:

OA relays a lot on selling its product its the way they make money to put into a new version or pay its employees.

Where Comodo does not have to as there income is from a different source so they have really no issues supporting and not changing for it. they basically just want the word of mouth.

Guess in a way we are comparing apples to oranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.