COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.17.304 has been released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pedro, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Some of you guys are a bit anal on the whole protection thing. "I don't trust my browser even though I sandbox it." Come on, have you ever actually gotten a virus?

2. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

You sound like a typical zombie bot. Because you see and hear nothing you think you are clean, very clever.:isay:

Because there is no other way to achieve at least a minimum level of security and Comodo actually the only tool that meet the needs.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You have to find a balance you're comfortable with. Some security software, such as Norton Internet Security, make almost all the decisions for you - you almost never see a pop up from them. On the other hand CFP 3.0.17 can be very noisy depending on how you configure it. During install I selected the Firewall with Leak Proofing enabled and I have Defense+ in CleanPC mode. This makes it quiet enough for me to live with.

4. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I'm trying the allowed folders rules for Firefox to see how that works. I'm not overly comfortable with setting a browser as Trusted either.

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If running LUA the user may not write to system32, but start up is possible. Good advice anyway.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Aside from the fact that you are being mean, Comodo is hardly the only tool to provide a minimum level of security. Apparently, your idea of minimum is different from the mainstream, but not that different from many of the paranoids around here. Excellent security is possible with LUA/SRP. The problem with pop ups is not everyone can give the right response every time. Even those with the technical knowledge will make errors because they are trying to get some work done or are otherwise distracted.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

And you sound like little green men are out to establish dominion over your computers, not bad either.

For one gullibly paranoid enough to believe hackers penetrating turned-off computers and cross-platform rootkits, you're sure one to talk.

8. arran

arran Registered Member

How do you disable those balloon messages??

I can't find that setting.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Right click the tray icon.

10. SystemJunkie

loool, but be sure that the system is really off. :D :D
    @solcroft: I guess you won´t have any problems like that because you are likely not interesting enough for them,
    so in your dimension this might be true what you are saying.

The problem with pop ups is: Full Kernel Level Unhooking of fwb rats gives them a nice freeze and Comodo becomes quiet in terms of popping up messages. (you can click whatever you want, it doesn´t matter if you once allowed the wrong file)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  11. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I'm running version 3.0.13.268 in a test snapshot, but when I ask it to check for updates it tells me there are none, am I doing something wrong?

12. sunking

sunking Registered Member

They changed the update process in later releases so earlier ones like 3.0.13 have to be updated manually.

13. tradetime

Ah 0ok thanx, sunking, I suppose it would be best to uninstall the old one first rather than run an update over the top?

14. SystemJunkie

Can someone of you verify if you see this mutant:\BaseNamedObjects\oleacc-msaa-loaded in Comodo Firewall?

15. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I update via the firewall update, then download the exe incase the over the top update messes up.

16. tradetime

Ok thanx I have uninstalled the older version and have installed the new, all seems to be running smoothly.

17. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

I tested the new version and nothing changed since the initial v3 beta release. Always the same lame unfixed critical D+ security bug :thumbd: I'm so disgusted about this bug and the bowl of spaghetti teletube GUI that I had to uninstall it. The bug has been submitted to them a long time ago but nada. Same pile of excrements. Hopefully, there's better free alternatives...

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What is that bug?

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Yeah what bug? And whats the matter with the GUI? I like it.

20. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Really? The GUI is the only reason I won't use it. It looks nice enough, but in terms of actually using the thing, it is a nightmare.

There is no master list of processes, so if you want to edit a rule, you sometimes have to already know the parent application, and look under allowed executions for the parent. If you don't know the parent, you're screwed.

Creating / editing rules is incredibly cumbersome, the screenshots shown earlier in this thread are a perface example of this. Aside from the main comodo window, you need another 4 windows open just to allow firefox to write a file to the desktop. And then you need to click apply on every single one of the 4 windows, in order for the settings to stick.

No list of an applications parent processes, and no way of saying "let x execute y" from within the rules of y. Instead you have to go to x, and let it execute y in it's allowed execution settings.

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That's the main reason for me too. Not the only one, but the main.

22. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Don't expect me to discuss about that again because I will not. The bug has already been submitted to them a long time ago and it's now their problem. What they did with the report, I could'nt care less. I flushed this crap. If people are happy with their software and feel secure, I'm glad to hear it.

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That's not constructive. We're not Comodo developers.
    At least a link to your bug report thread..

24. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Not even a link. I have nothing to resolve and don,t need help. The problem is in their hand.

25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I didn't say i can help, and this isn't the place either.
    So the reason for your "warning" is? Scaring newcomers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.