COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Turn logging off?

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

See what I mean Coolio. So many things you have to do to make Comodo run right. I installed ZAAS. All I had to do was nothing. No tweaking. Factory settings are fine. When I game I dont wanna be bugged by pop ups.

3. Coolio10

No matter what firewall you use, you are always the same old Vettetech :D.

Must you say what firewall you use in every post. I thought it was an online armor thing but now your still doing with with ZAAS. Keep the criticism, lose the advertising/bragging :D.
    You only tweak if it does not work for you. I have not tweaked comodo once yet. All settings are on.

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You didnt read my post called " back to ZAAS". OA locked up most my games just like Comodo. I was still getting pop ups even with OA. I dont know what you use your pc for but when I am uninstalling and reinstalling drivers every other week I dont need some firewall bugging me. All I want it protection without the hassles. Its that too much to ask? I meant by tweaking is your telling me to turn off logging. All over here I see you telling people how to use Comodo. I firewall should not be so hard to use. NOD32 never bugs me. Just sits there. OA didnt bug me much till I started gaming more. ZAAS does not bug me at all what so ever. Hell even Wordward is switching.

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hold on now Vettetech. Anyone who knows me in here will tell you all I do is switch security programs. That said though, it was a hard decision to stop using Comodo 3.0 and go back to ZAAS. Comodo is a first class app and not as hard to understand after reading the help file. I just think the chioce one makes as to which FW or any security software they use, can depend on a few different things. Example. I really like Comodo and would continue to use it asI like all the features it has. The thing is that my wife sometimes uses my PC instea of hers and I don't want to worry about her seeing a pop up for some reason and hitting allow or deny just to make it go away. Sure I can explain some things to her about Comodo, but that's where I agree with you. I personally want my wife to be able to get on my PC and use it without things popping up and at the same time still be secure. Granted ZAAS could catch something while she' s on, but for the most part it is much quieter than Comodo and IMO the Alerts are much easier to understand. In my case too, I can show my wife what a ZAAS alert looks like and how to use the Smart Adviser to check and see what It's for. Again though if I was the only one using my PC, I would still have Comodo installed. It truly is a work of art and hard to beat for free.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps you missed it but this thread is about the release of Comodo's Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 not about your " back to ZAAS" thread or it's contents.

Let's do keep the off topic about other firewalls to a minimum Please. The main focus of this discussion needs to be about this latest version of Comodo.

Thanks,
    Bubba

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I set logging at max 1MB. Every aspect of version 3 works grrrreat -- I am especially satisfied with D+!

P.S. Thanks for the job you are doing here, Bubba. Same goes for all the Wilders forum staff.:thumb:

8. Meganeoman

Meganeoman Registered Member

But if you set logging at max 1MB the harddrive keeps working alla the time It just repeat to 1 MB all the time.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My HD seldom gets activated because of logging. My firewall log is miniscule because I am behind a NAT/SPI router. My D+ log is my main concern. The D+ log is also miniscule because I simply don't encounter that many potential threats. However, when D+ gets busy I most certainly want to know WHY. With security, ignorance is not usually bliss. Quite the opposite, in fact.

In any event, it the user's choice as to whether or not logging takes place. CFW is merely obeying the configuration specified by the user.

If you do not want logging, it is easily disabled.

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Have you tried installing COMODO Firewall Pro in "Clean PC Mode" (I always use advanced configuration, but I believe "Clean PC Mode" is part of the default setting).

I suggest: Install in 'Clean PC Mode' and set COMODO to automatically submit files for analysis. Also make sure to set COMODO to automatically accept COMODO authorized applications (Once again I believe this is a default setting).

If the firewall prompts you too much, then set the firewall to 'Training Mode'.

The Firewall module set to 'Training Mode' allows all outgoing communications (as allowed by Defense+) and will only prompt you for incoming server connections. This means when you play a game for the first time you simple hit one accept button and the Firewall module will never bother you about that game again.
    I thought it was nice of him to mention that ZAAS was less prompting on his PC than COMODO was. It allows us to better communicate his problems and gives contrast to COMODO at the same time :D

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anyone tel me what is the color coding for CFP popup alerts? I like the way it,s done in SSM and NG. Has anyone suggested such a feature in CFP v 3 wish list? Also a disconnected GUI/ silent/ locked mode?

Thanks

12. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Thought I would give Comodo a try while I'm waiting for next release of OA.

It's certainly not as easy to use as OA but it has some nice features (end of product comparison).

The My Pending Files feature is one that I cannot seem get on with for some reason. I have only been using this program for a few days and there are over 100 pending files. I believe these files are considered unsafe by Comodo but I'm not sure what restrictions are placed on them, if any.

Some files just keep coming back even if I move then to the My Safe Files folder. These are my antivirus and antispyware update files. Presumably because they are .exe files and change with every update, Comodo keeps putting them in the My Pending Files list. is there any way of getting round this?

I have tried the Lookup function and this did remove some files from the list. I tried the Submit function but this seemed to take forever and I had to Abort. I am not going to keep submitting files to Comodo for analysis. I do not want to use the auto lookup and auto submit functions. That means I have to manually transfer the files from My Pending Files to My Safe Files or just empty the list or just ignore the list. I really don't like this feature.:thumbd:

13. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

@ Hammerman,

My Pending Files are indeed irritating, when your av changes them. I now use AVG Free that doesn't add new pending files.

My strategy for pending files, is:

-Run CCleaner to clean any temp files or files in Recycle bin.
    -Go to pending files, select all, purge. Then move the remaining to safe files.
    -Go to safe files, select all, purge, select all remaining and remove. From what i gather, "remove" doesn't block them. It only removes them from the list, but they are STILL considered as safe. So no need to submit them or looking them up every time.

At least this is what i think is right. Although the help file isn't of any help about the "remove" function in safe files. But seems to work.

Unfortunately, you can't disable the Pending files function, i think, because it is vital for D+. You would better disable D+ alltogether ...

14. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Been there done that. I have tried tons of firewalls. Always used Comodo 2.4 but I find Comodo 3.0 too much. Even after training mode you still get bugged. I am a gamer. I also don't wanna be bugged everytime I install something such as new drivers or a patch. Switching to install mode all the time is a pain.

15. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Agreed fully.

16. Fuzzfas

Well, if someone does install/uninstall frequently applications, Comodo can be bothering. Specially with pending files... Threatfire is a better solution in such cases + another firewall.

But for those who have "stable" configurations and not changing often things, it is very good.

17. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Thanks Fuzzfas,

Do you know if there are any restrictions placed on the files in My Pending Files other than producing more pop-up's when the unsafe files try to execute.

Seem's a bit strange that you can simply remove files from the My Safe Files list but the program remembers that they are safe.

I really can't get my head round this. I didn't struggle like this with OA or SSM or Defensewall.

18. Fuzzfas

1) Well, i don't know anything more about pending files, than what's on the help file. From what i understand while in there they are in "limbo",waiting to be "judged" and they can't do any serious damage to your system if a malware is amongst them.

2) I m not 100% sure about what i said about removing from the safe files, but my opinion is based on use. From what i saw, removing them from the list, doesn't have any ill effects on them. I mean, they aren't blocked. I think the cause is that the "turning point" in Comodo's trust is the pending files. There you decide what's good and what's bad. If you send files into the safe files, it means, you 've already decided that they are good, so removing them, only serves to save you from the trouble of submitting them. Because if you DO send a file into safe by mistake and remove it from the list, you can always UNTRUST it, from the process list by simply deleting it.

So, i think, that "remove from safe list", only serves to spare you the hassle of looking up or submitting. The real "checkpoint" is "pending files".

Maybe i m mistaken and Coolio will correct me. But that's how i understand it works.

19. Coolio10

Red alerts for defence+ and yelllow alerts for firewall.

20. Coolio10

I purge, lookup, submit, and then remove.

Hopefully in next release it can be disabled. But this allows comodo to build a humongous database bigger than nortons since you are submitting files. Submitting files can slow down your internet dramatically, especially when it is trying to submit the system restore file(dc8.exe).

21. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

Not correct, since AKLT gives yellow alerts while intercepted by Defense+.
    Alert colors seem related to criticality : red = critical, yellow = warning.

I've just looked at the help and it is written :
    "Color indicates severity of the alert : both Defense+ and Firewall alerts are color coded according to the risk level".

Regards,
    gkweb.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wish they could have addeed more than just two colors.
    Also type of alert on top like in NG, EQS or SSM( like driver install, global hook etc).

23. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Specific Network rule im/export must be added as well as the opportunity to give names to blocked zones and ranges like zone alarm. Unfortunately that isn´t integrated so far but urgently needed.

Beside Comodo Security Policy is a huge impressive thing. The Purge function is perfect.. something Process Guard always lacked.. seems that we can bury now pg and aak, thanks to all-in-one wonder Comodo.

Comodo says that it is incompatible to process guard but isn´t true both work together without special problems.

24. SirMalware

SirMalware Registered Member

COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0
    What a wonderful software device.

25. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Lat's hope they don't decide it's too good to remain a freebie eh? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.