COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Thats a common problem you can find your answer in the Comodo forums. You have to shut down the Security center in windows. Just go into services.msc. Then go into C/Windows/System32/wbem and delete the Repository folder then reboot.

2. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

yep, everything seems ok so far, the only minor problem is that there are a couple of files that reappear in My Pending Files after every update, I send them to My Own Safe files but there they are again next time, but as I say that's only a minor irritation.

3. OHM

OHM Guest

Thanks!
    But where is services.msc?

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Its the service control panel. "Administrative Tools ---> Services"

You can also get there by typing "Services.msc" into the "Run" dialog

Start---> RUN ---> Services.msc [Enter]

5. OHM

OHM Guest

Thanks Mike!
    Have a nice day :)

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Totally agree, have not had any reply on this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1127991&postcount=26

Newby shows that with a very simple program like VistaFireWallControl (without the Vista FireWall active) blocks most leak tests

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1135358&postcount=3
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1135396&postcount=5
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1135402&postcount=7

I think LUA with Defender is as strong as D+ and VistaFireWallCOntrol only misses PC Flanktester, DSNtester, Ghost and Wallbreaker compared to Comodo.

After all it is all a matter of hassle (answering questions most users do not the answer on) and perceived protection (VistaFireWallCOntrol versus Comodo) and the real chance of infection.

Regards Comodo lovers (please stirr up the discussion)

7. OHM

OHM Guest

Hi,
    Does it mean that Vista Firewall is as good as COMODO v3?
    Sorry if I'm not getting your point.

Regards,

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

That´s it but your story with armpits was ugly.. my good imagination doesn´t want to visualize this smell..:cool:

Think so! Very cool and that will be the main reason too why nobody wants OA free anymore.
    As you see! I am right.. hehe.
    Comodo, but who wants to pay for equivalent security(OA)? So we drive very comfortable with comodo.
    Exactly.. the zone alarm winlogon drama is the same ignorance with dr.webs cruel heuristic.. nothing changes. But now we have Comodo and that´s really great! Good work guys!

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry OHM,

No when on Vista with UAC on, you can not run into much problems. VistaFireWallControl (VFWC) gives some easy outbound control. Defender will give you also notification when something important is changed.

Point I am making is that Comodo is a great free HIPS/FW, but it is to intrusive to use. On XP Online Armor is a far more user freindly solution and as strong as Comodo. On Vista 64 with UAC, Defenser and VFWC the additional 64 bits goodies will give you simular protection without the hassle. On Vista 32 the same applies when you use UAC and for instance ThreatFire or Drive Sentry instead of Defense+

Getting a lot of pop-ups does not nessecarely mean it is safer.

Security = (Scope of the application -/- user errors using the aplication) * (complexity of the application -/- hidden bugs) * (1 - chance of infection)

Regards

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

So true...........

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Kees1958,

Thanks for the post & Links. With XP I manage the elevation problem with MakeMeAdmin and LaunchAdmin. A few programs can be a real headache to set up as they write user data to Program Files subfolders and require permission changes. When needed I open an elevated command window and drag an icon to it, type a command, or run ie elevated as a file manager. When I was using Vista (that OS makes me sick) I just lived with the UAC prompts. Vista SP1 cuts down on the number of prompts required for file manipulations in protected directories, but MS really needs to make the elevation persist for a few minutes as it does in Ubuntu.

What is great about LUA is it works with nearly any firewall or AV, its free, does not slow your system down one bit, and uses no memory, unless you count the 2 MB for LaunchAdmin.

I guess I will keep using Comodo 2.4.

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I think Comodo is the perfect firewall for control freaks, who normally use classical HIPS. I think they did a great job in that sector. Initially it looked intimidating with all the sections that one can click, but once you read the manual, Comodo isn't more annoying than SSM for example. I have kept the HIPS part activated in "PC clean" mode, which is what i think is very cosy and i didn't have many pop ups. I could say that SSM Free, even when you put it in learning mode, still sometimes asks for permission on some programs, while Comodo is more silent. On the other hand, if someone isn't a control freak, can deactivate in part or in whole the HIPS part in Comodo and stick with the excellent firewall.

OA Free is more friendly overall and a more logic compromise between security and easy of use (you got to love the "run safer" feature"), but for me has a slight instability with Emule (upload speed should be rock stable ,while with OA it oscillates all the time), so i m staying with Comodo! I got rid of SSM too, which is great!

In any case, there are 2 very nice FREE firewalls out there to satisfy even the most difficult "clients". :D

13. SystemJunkie

.. problem because the free version does not protect against keyloggers.

As I said all will switch to comodo.. hehe, no matter what is cool on OA free or not.. fact is Anti-Keylogging has priority, so OA free will lose most user(probably all user), it is absolut logical and reasonable behavior and a natural sign of intelligence.:thumb:

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I don't think OA will lose all users. I think OA Free is more suitable for users with little HIPS experience but WILLING to learn and for medium experienced users or users that don't want so complete control over their pc because they feel safe anyway. OA is a firewall that one could easily learn to use even if he doesn't know what a HIPS is.

On the other hand, Comodo, is stirring things up in the HIPS arena, because for my case, there is no reason to have a classical HIPS when you have Comodo + D+ and it runs so light!!! Also same goes for firewalls. Right now i have disabled the Bit Defender Firewall IS 2008 firewall and running Comodo instead (no conflicts).

Even if i had to disable the HIPS (which i see no reason till now, since it's behaving very well and remains quiet), i love the firewall part. I am so happy that:

1) I am starting to get paranoid about the fact that they give this for free! (Yes, i ve read their explanation in comodo site, still i am suspicious... Soon i ll start monitoring ports to see if it phones home by any chance despite the fact that i disabled all phone home mechanisms).

2) I think i won't update to the next version, because this one runs so well, that i fear that a next one might ruin something. I try many firewalls and change them from time to time and i am completely certain that even my surfing is more snappy! I feel like i found the "golden version". Unless i encounter a serious bug, i ll stick with it for a long time, because usually when you fix something in security applications, you brake something else.

3) The HIPS part while intimidating at first, is now more likeable to me than SSM was, which i can't beleive it.

4) I am worried that there MUST be something that i don't like in it, but i can't find it yet. (yeah, it is a bit complicated, with many menus, but has a help file and pending files are a bit weird and a nice firewall log would be welcome, but i get used to them, so i can live with them).

5) Did i mention that i a get paranoid for the fact that this is free? :D

15. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hello,can anyone advise on two queries.I currently have V3.0.13.268 defence+ off. I am having absolutely no problems,is there any point installing 3.0.14.276. Secondly does the newer version with defence + on, have the same amount of pop up alerts. I was getting hundreds(especially when installing programs ), so turned it off. Thanks for any answers

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I would upgrade for the performance tweaks at least. If you want you can look over whats fixed and decide if any apply to you.

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

once again, numerous off topic posts removed.

The thread title is the subject of discussion. Those that wish to discuss other firewalls, Please do so in an appropriate thread or privately Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

18. OHM

OHM Guest

Thanks for your lucid reply.
    Now I really want to try OA, however, it's not Vista compatible yet.

Regards

P.S It is unbelievable. COMODO leaves so much registry dumps behind after uninstalling it, which I really really hate.

19. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

First off you took a quote by Bellgamin and myself and combined them into a quote by me. Whats up with that ?

Story of armpits o_O What are you talking about o_O

I will never switch to Comodo and niether will alot of members here. Those that like it will keep it and those that don't will not. I have Tried CPF more times then I would ever do again.:thumbd:
    Not a Comodo fan here as you can tell. But I can see your becoming a fanboy of comodo.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Ahhh.... Now I see......Thanks WSFuser

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Troubled by registry residues ? Comodo firewall is not alone. IMO, all apps proudly equipped with so-called sophisticated HIPS, complicated firewall rules, will certainly produce these types of leftover; OA will, ZA pro no exception. Even, a low profiled Scoty, WinPatrol , will produce certain amt of cyber garbage.

Therefore, please do not

Point finger at Comodo firewall Solely. Don't you want your favorite firewall to protect you to its full strength ? You get what you want. In the meantime,

You just need to find a smooth way to overcome those problems.

Cures are registry cleaner and registry editor and lots of your patience. IMO, Total Uninstaller or Ashampoo Uninstaller platinum suites will just be few steps short from being competent, in spite of what vendors have loudly claimed.

Take care.

23. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

off topic posts removed.

As requested a few posts above, the subject matter is the discussion of "COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released".

Thanks,
    Bubba

24. SystemJunkie

Yes especially because it is actually the best available Anti-Keylogger
    and for free.
    Yes that is true in several cases.
    Agree totally.
    No reason to do that, I´d be more concerned about ZAs phone homes. Comodo is a bullet proof thing.

25. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Since this is a minor update, can it be installed via update function over the 3.0.14.168 version or has the prior version first to be uninstalled?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.