COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

anybody know what are the best settings for Comodo 3? like a guide for the best setup?

2. OHM

OHM Guest

Ok, I'm kind of tired of waiting for OA to support Vista.
    I'm gonna try CPF.
    Any issues on Vista?

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am getting a BSOD and cant even get to the login screen for Vista. It just hangs on reboot.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

when installing I get those flash up screens about some drivers cant be verified, but they flash so quickly you cant read them. I know what they are from having Aviras beta on my main PC and on installing it you have to click them.

5. ProSecurity

ProSecurity Registered Member

I find it interesting that some like to see the smallest number of popups.

I for one find it empowering to be able to control the behavior of any app on my machine.

The ability to determine which files/directories may be modified by any app with Comodo 3 Defense+ is particularly appealing.

Why should I give carte blanche access to my entire filesystem to, for example, Mozilla?
    Or anything other than HTTP (port 80) access to any browser?

Under Unix, it just does not work this way!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When you run Comodo FW plus an AV, you actually have THREE security apps -- (1) antivirus, (2) firewall, & (3) an industrial strength, broad-scope classical HIPS (D+, that is).

7. ProSecurity

To give out something this good for free...

I find myself continually saying, "Where's the catch?"

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Wordward, you ask the ultimate question. It seems very hard to find an answer as there is no comparative data available. Consider that there are literally millions of computers protected with only AVG free and the XP firewall and so many of these never have a problem. There was a recent survey that found something like 45% the computers in the US had out of date AV signatures due to factory loaded commercial AV's expiring and another 40% with no firewall active, and many of these do have problems.

We read a lot about drive by downloads and zero day attacks, but I wonder how many of these actually result in infections without at least one user consent given incorrectly.

For all we hear about leak proof firewalls, stories about how they caught an infection phoning home that everything else missed are very scarce. Does it just not happen that way?

I give Comodo credit for their HIPS as it is focused on preventing infection. However, I wonder how much more effective a HIPS is (if any) than a limited user account. The LUA will not stop everything, but it places large parts of the machine off limits. Installing drivers is not possible so no hidden keyloggers, No active-X installed to IE. No kernel patching for root kits. New stuff can run, but it is damn hard to hide it.

In fact, I often wonder if an AV that tests at 99.9% is really giving more protection than one that tests at 97% because the omitted samples may simply not be important.

My 2 centavos.

9. ProSecurity

This reminds me of the VB100 test with 100 test malwares compared to AV-Comparatives with hundreds of thousands.

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok my problem is back and its not Windowblinds. When I go into D+/Advanced/Computer Security Policy there is nothing listed. If I exit Comodo by right click on the icon and hitting exit then double click and reopen Comodo. After doing that everything is there.

11. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

You uninstalled windowsblinds?

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

No reason to to that. I am not currently using any skins for WB.

13. Coolio10

It might be interfering with the interface drawing. Is it set as trusted?

14. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Yes. I unloaded Windowsblinds completely and I am using just plain old XP desktop and the problem is gone. You can add programs not to be skinned but it doesnt seem to help. it definity is Windowblinds. I amde 2 reboots and no problems. I loaded WB again and problem back. Atleast I know is not Comodo.

15. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok played around long enough. How many times do you actually have to open up Comodo anyways. I will live with it. My surfing speed seems faster then with Online Armor. Does Comodo have a web shield like Online Armor?

16. OHM

OHM Guest

Hopefully, it does.
    I think COMODO has all the features.

17. Coolio10

Comodo is not a suite like online armor.

18. Phazor

Phazor Registered Member

Thinking of giving Comodo a try. Is there anything I must do during install on a computer that has multiple users (XP)?

19. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Well back to Online Armor. Comodo just loced up BF2 and Time Shift. Then I played HL2 Ep 2 and TF2. I had 500 pending files. That feature is dumb. Well I tried Comodo 3.0 again and its still not for me. Comodo 2.4 was better. Sorry Coolio.

20. Coolio10

Nope.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

anybody, some suggestions?

22. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Yup.....................dont do it.

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

It ran well for me, but I kept getting this feeling that at any minute something could go wrong with my PC. There's just way too much protection going on for me. LOL.

24. OHM

OHM Guest

Errrr, howcome Windows Security Center detects COMODO Firewall Pro, even after uninstalling it?

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I visit several forums & read about WB-related problems quite often. It is a notorious de-stabilizer of computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.