COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.10.238 BETA Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Final release is near. Rezjor if you read this you should test this version as defence+ can be disabled at installation which is what you wanted.

Go http://forums.comodo.com/cfp_beta_corner/announcement_comodo_firewall_pro_3010238_beta_released-t14003.0.html for download links.

Post what you think/what has improved.

Here is a pic of new install mode. The remember my answer issue has also been solved. If the Remember box was ticked on the last alert than it will stay ticked on the next alert or if it was unticked on the previous alert than it will stay unticked for the next alert. Easy fix.

And other changes....

Answers.....

For question 2, it means you no longer need to manually add ports. It comes as an alert now. Check 4th pic.

Attached Files:

• cpf1.jpg
      cpf1.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    • cpf2.jpg
      cpf2.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    • cpf 3.jpg
      cpf 3.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
    • cpf4.jpg
      cpf4.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Some nice progressions :D Looking forward to the public beta :D

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Looks like they have made some improvements.
    The final can't be too far off.

4. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I am trying this out right now, and let me tell you it is running NICE and no problems yet. I am very impressed with this beta, and to think it'll be way better when final, wow!:D :D

5. lookcity

lookcity Registered Member

With the deactivation of Defence+ , the usage of mem is only 4+mb, so nice !:)

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Good :) Along with ranting i also added request for this feature on their forums and here it is. I might give it another spin, this time without HIPS :)

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried it without DefencePlus. I had also favoured such a feature.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am using NG and it has network access module. I got the feeling that it,s useless to add plain CFP v3 with it as NG( or any other HIPS like SSM, PS) etc has essentialy the same functionality combined with windows FW( as I don,t use any advanced rules, I just control application level network/ internet access).

8. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Well if you activate comodo defence+ than it will be the same as having ng alone. So there isn't really any point of having plain cpf3 with ng when you can just have cpf3 with one less program to keep track of. CPF3 i believe has the same blocking power as ssm, prosecurity. Just not as configurable. But cpf still has some nice features that payware ones don't have. You should atleast try defence+ and see if it is tweakable to your needs.

Attached Files:

• cpf8.jpg
      cpf8.jpg
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think I will continue with my previous HIPS. May be later when I get Vista, I will need CFP v3 as a free HIPS.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have finally got around to installing this new beta and it is absolutely rock solid on my computer.

Here is memory usage (All features enabled):

Attached Files:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Memory usage increases while u r surfing.

12. monsunami

monsunami Registered Member

Memory usage haven't increased on my computer. Have surfed and surfing internet with bunch of windows open and left my computer on for around 2 days and memory usage:

cfp.exe

cmdagent.exe

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Mem usage on my system was more or less same. lookcity wrote it to be about 4 MB so I thought it,s due to the fact that I was using internet. Seems I was wrong.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

By the way, one option is weired that on popup if u choose block and say OK( without clicking remember this option), the action is blocked totally with no futher popups until u reboor ur PC. It,s weired.

In my opinion, the standard options for a HIPS msut be

Allow
    Block
    Allow for session
    Block for session

With a checkbox for Remember this and possible another checkbox to mark the appliaction as trusted.

Another big issue I felt with CFP that it,s too chatty. I get a lot of memory modification popus, direct screen access and direct keyboard access popups.

Also on my system, I noticed a bit delay in popups alerts by CFP( pop ups were not instant like other HIPS) but it may be just on my system.

15. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I'm running the latest Beta 3 with both firewall and Defense+ enabled, and it's much quieter than the previous Beta 3 version. I installed with Defense+ in 'Clean PC Mode' and Network Defense in 'Train with Safe Mode'.

I'm very impressed at the effort Comodo has spent on this product, and the obvious close attention they have payed to reports from Comodo Forum members.

There are still a few problems, but they are disclosed on the forums and don't seriously impact my use of this product.

Kudos to Comodo!

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have always tested it in paranoid mode. It,s the best way to evaluate a HIPS in full.

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Well I did massive browsing before posting the usage information which shows peak usage.

I installed with Clean PC mode and had very minimal pop-ups. In the previous beta I submited almost a gigabyte of programs and they are all in COMODO's safelist now :D

The only time you should ever get a delay in pop-ups is when you are booting your computer up and COMODO is initializing (this will not delay any previously allowed software, only software which COMODO has not seen before).

The final will be breathtaking :D

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Without HIPS your pants might fall down. That is -- I seriously feel that HIPS protection is vital to a secure *working* computer nowadays. Your mileage may differ, of course. ;)

19. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Just a quick question. If you choose to disable defense+, will CPF3 final release still pass all the leak tests? I'm just wondering how necessary defense+ is for outbound control.

Thanks, innerpeace

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It will fail most, if not all, of the leak tests.
    I think it will behave like a simple FW - just like ZA free!

21. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

How much longer for the Vista version?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  22. prozabor

prozabor Registered Member

Ohh.. please...

I tried this and I think it is terrible. Interface is user-frendly and it ask for every behavior.

Let's look at CPF 2. It has great outbound protection but inbound security is very very poor. It has the same rules as GhostWall.

I guess Comodo is made for leaktests, not for good inbound security:/

23. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Comodo 2.4 has good inbound security, actually it is fantastic. Prove me wrong?

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

CFP 2 has SPI while as I know GhostWall has no SPI.

25. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks aigle :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.