Comodo firewall failed me...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by overangry, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

There must have been a conflict indeed. I've never seen anything like this before...

Well, as the user went to OA and he managed to fix the problem with it, I guess this topic is ready to die :D

Thanks for all the responses :thumb:

2. arran

arran Registered Member

No Issues with malware Defender killing googleupdate.exe and preventing it from running.:D

3. overangry

overangry Registered Member

I believe I had defence + disabled so there would be no conflict with DS.

Not having defence + activated surely doesn't disable it's abillity to block behavioro_O

Or is defence + required to block googleupdate.exeo_O

4. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

Haha, indeed, when you disable something --> it's disabled :D so you can't expect it to work

I would like to thank everyone for fixing (more or less) this issue :thumb:

This thread can be closed...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  5. overangry

So if I disable D+ because I'm running a different hipps program, one that I prefer, my comodo firewall will no longer block connections to the interneto_O

Am I missing something?

Edit:

maybe this thread will help:)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231188

Fact is, comodo as a stand alone firewall did not block googleupdate.exe from accessing the internet nor did it stop it from starting:blink:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. Clench Tightly

Clench Tightly Registered Member

Here's a better question - Since Defense+ was disabled, how come the other HIPS didn't stop it (googleupdate.exe) from starting in the first place? If it can't start, it can't attempt an outbound connection.

I would be looking much closer at your other HIPS, rather than pointing the finger of blame at another component that you yourself disabled.

In a nutshell, firewalls are for things entering or leaving your system and HIPS are for things starting up on your system. If you are trying to stop a component from starting (let alone connecting to the internet) you need to use a HIPS of some sort, but preferably not a disabled one.:rolleyes:

Clench :)

P.S. Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I disabled my keyboard. ;-)

7. overangry

I am no expert, so I hope I am not frustrating you:)

HIPS(Host Intrusion Prevention System) I thought prevented exploits from gaining entry to the system, I had a quick read on the topic of hips and can see your point:)

I done the same for firewall and quote the following:

A firewall is a dedicated appliance, or software running on computer, which inspects network traffic passing through it, and denies or permits passage based on a set of rules.

Comodo is a great product, I have used it previously if you read post #1 you will see what was done on my part.

It may have been a configuration error on my part:(

Again thanks for the replies, the problem has been resolved, thank you:thumb:

8. overangry

It downloaded with Chrome, or should I say part of chrome.

I believe anyone downloading chrome will also install update.exe\

I was aware of it's existence, as it isn't malware I left it on my system. Then I started getting annoyed that it is connected 24/7, so I went to terminate it, I couldn't terminate the running process and that upset me, all I wanted after that is to block it's access to the net.
    It seems I went about it the wrong wayo_O

10 years ago it was the firewall that done thato_O I will devote a few hours educating my self:)

9. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm thinking it's an easy thing.
    1- Firewalls that take care of outbound traffic can block any net conection attempt from any application or service.
    2- HIPS can block the start of an application, a driver or a new service (if are properly configured). If the issue is with an autostart entry, HIPS can also prevent or block these, others programs also (Anvir Task Manager, Starter,...a lot), and the own Windows command msconfig also in an easy way. But itsn't a firewall task. If you disabled Defense+, you got only the firewall part active.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Post removed. Since the reason for the "failure" has been explained, (part of the product was disabled), and the user has moved to a different product, we'll wrap this thread here. No need to bump it to bash one group of users or another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.